Low back pain going down the left back of thigh to knee
NEED HELP WITH PAIN!!!

I am suffering from low back pain since 3 months, initially it was mild but grown severe. I feel the pain in the lower back to the left side of the buttocks and passes through the rear of the thigh to the' knee. I am 6 feet tall and started walking with hunch back, then approached a chiropractor after about 10 visits, I am able to walk straight, but the pain remains. I visited a physician and after taking x-rays, he said that I have mild Scoliosis with  "S" shape pattern. Advised physiotherapy and after two weeks of therapy (stretching, bending and other exercises) there is no improvement. I am now unable to stand for more than 10 min, feel lot of pain from left lower buttocks passing through rear thigh to knee. I have lot of pain in the night and deprived from sleep and at the work place too.. It is bothering me a lot now. Please help with the right advice and whom to approach, I can't take it any more...

Appreciate your time and most valuable suggestion.

Sam

Hello Sam,

I am very sorry to hear about your unrelenting sciatica. I have it often and know how very painful and disruptive it can be to your daily life.

I assume you know that sciatica is not a diagnosis....it's a symptoms. So have the reason for your sciatica been discovered? If not I think you need a diagnosis. Once you know what is causing this pain you they will be better able to treat it.

There are five sets of paired nerve roots in the lumbar spine that combine to create the sciatic nerve. They begin at the back of the sacrum, the sciatic nerve runs from the back, under the buttock, and downward through the hip area into each leg.  Anywhere along this path an irritation, inflammation or impingement can occur inducing pain. Some of the reasons we experience sciatica include, a bulging or herniated disc, Spinal stenosis, spondylolisthesis, major or even minor trauma to the area, SI Joint Dysfunction, Piriformis syndrome and Spinal tumors.  

I urge you to return to your PCP and request some diagnostic imagining. Be assertive. Once you get to the bottom of your problem you can start a successful treatment program. In the meantime I hope your PCP will prescribe some medications to ease your pain.

Please let us know how you are doing. I will look forward to hearing from you again. If you have additional questions please feel free to post them.  Best of luck.

Take Care,
~Tuck
Hi Tuck,

Thanks for your suggestion. I will talk to my PCP and let you know how it goes.

Appreciate your help!!

Sam