Pain Management Community
Lyrica vs. Neurontin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Lyrica vs. Neurontin

I am a 38 year old white female with Type 1 diabetes for 22 years.  I have severe peripheral neuropathy in my hands in feet.  I am treated with Neurontin, 800 mg. TID, Elavil, 100 mg. at bedtime for the pain which blunts the pain somewhat.  I have also had tarsal tunnel release surgery on both legs with little success.  In your experience prescribing medications for neuropathy pain management,  have you found Lyrica to have better results than the meds I am currently on?  I tried to make the switch once but the pain was too intense once I d/c the Neurontin and I quickly went back.

I'm desperate for help.  Sometimes when I think I will never get relief my mind spins out of control and I question whether I can tolerate it much longer and consider checking out...

Thanks for your help,

Monika
Hey, i am no diabetic but i have had 2 neck surgeries with alot of nerve pain, badly. the same drugs are used for this as well. my surgeon gave me a three months supply of lyrica and i liked it , it done very well  compared to the neurotin i take now. the ins company i have refuses to pay for lyrica cuz its newer med than neurotin. for my conditions they are prescribed what u call off lable meds . cuz their orginally are for diabetes. but works on nerve pain just the same .   i would take the lyrica if i had a choice , but everyones system is not always the same ya know. and about checkin out , hey forget that kinda thoughts now. you will get thru this and yeah somwhere theirs a light at the end of the tunnel. we just don't know how far it is , could b just around the corner ya know.  got it......
I have been taking 75mg of Lyrica 3x a day. I feel alot better. Yes I get tired easily and my eyes are a bit fuzzy, but it really works. If I gain weight that would be fine with me I have lost 30 lbs in the last 2 months, so it would be nice to put some pounds.. You need to give it a try. It will help with your diabetis also. You really need to try it and see if it works. If it doesn't then go back to the neurontin and keep on going.

Good Luck and God Bless

Barb
Lyrica is so new and dangerous (per my neurologist).  I just lost my job, car, driver's license etc because of Lyrica causing narcolepsy symptoms.

I wish I had never heard of it and had stuck with Neurontin.

Ireland41
I had to stop using both Lyrica and Neurontin,

I have narcolepsy and the both made it worse.

I have not taken Neurontin, but I have recently started taking Lyrica for nerve pain after neck surgery.   I feel the Lyrica was like a miracle for me.   My pain was cut at least in half and my quality of life has improved dramatically.   I'm taking almost no narcotics now, so I have my sharp mind back.   I have not yet had any side effects from the Lyrica, but of course everyone is different.  My dad also has severe nerve damage and his insurance company wanted him to try neurontin before they would approve Lyrica.    He said there was a huge difference between the two, and he has fewer side effects from the Lyrica than he did with the neurontin.   I would definitely recommend trying it.  
As you can now see, there are many people with many different reactions to all the options out there.  I enjoyed reading them for my own purpose, as I take Lyrica at 150mg. 4 times/day and the side affects are not good.  I admit that they do help the pain and if I miss a dose, I am immediately in great pain and it takes awhile to get it back under control.  But, I have experienced hair loss at an increasing amount, put on 35 lbs. that I did not need, and short term memory loss.  In the beginning I had little sign of side effects but over the 2 1/2 yrs. I have been on it, I have seen great increase.  I have also tried Cymbalta and that was horrible for me.

I do not have diabetes, nor any of the other causes for this condition.

Might want to consider a new neurologist and revisit all of this.

I know the pain and share it with you.  maybe one day, we will find a cure or medication that can help us.  Meanwhile, we must hang together and I agree with don 48 that we even allow ourselves to think of checking out, besides you are too young for such thoughts! :)
SunnyLee

Hey there...I know exactly how you feel. So much so. I am Type 1 diabetic and have the same neuropathy as you and had lots of surgeries as well....including having my gallbladder being removed. I also have a insuin pump whichhas saved me with my  blood surgars being so out of wack!  I have so much going on with me that is caused by diabetes that I do understand...and I do feel the same way as you do about checking out sometimes...cause wonder if it is worth it sometimes.. I take Lyrica and Neurotin...together they seem to help.

I just today have felt like checking out ....been down all day. Uncontrollable crying.

Just next week ...I have to surgery procedures I have to go through...one being having a Portacath put in and then the next day having my foot operated on. I just got over having a knee surgery and still recovering from that....and here I have to go and have these done next week.

I could use support sometimes...and sounds like you do too ...so if you need a friend...hollar at me.

Kriss
I've had both neurotin and lyrica and really didn't have great results with either, but I had those in combination with high doses of Opiates so maybe I'm not a great reference.  If you take 5 lyrica and a xanex or two you get a drunk effect though.
My husband had surgery for herniated disc. They went thru the psoas muscle and apparantly had a hard time and he had sensitive nerve endings . The results he now uses a walker,because his quad walker muscle has been injured. He takes Neurotin-Tramidol. Not sure whta a safe amount of Mg is right or how to keep it in a constant help for him. Anyone know anything about this muscle and what to do to strengthen it?
Hi;
   I tried Lyrica and Neurontin and both had severe side effects on me. I had 3 major surgeries on my right knee in 07, seven months to the day. The multiple surgeries threw my system out of wack and I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 6 months ago.
   My Rheumy now has me on Ultam ER 200mg 1x a day, Flexiril 10mg at night, Temazepam 15mg at night, Zoloft 100mg every morning, Tramadol 50mg 2tablets around 7:30 pm. I also take blood pressure meds and meds for high chelestol. I have an appointment tomorrow with my Rheumy to see if my meds need to be upped some.
   I do understand how having chronic pain and chronic fatigue can make you have feelings of checking out, been there more than once, but then I think of how badly my family would be hurt and how much I want to be here with them. If you need to talk, I'm here.

gentle hugs
Angel
Hi Ashlan,

You have asked a good question. I am very sorry that your husband is having pain. I think it is often just as tough on those that love us when we are suffering. He is lucky to have your caring, concern and compassion.

I too have a very injured psoas muscle, ligament and tendon. Mine was injured in a MVA when it (all) was severed (in the groin area) some years ago. It has effected my back stability and causes me great pain, back pain, hip pain and my SI Joint eventually became effected and I have severe pain there. My lower body no longer works as a unit the way it was intended to work. I have copied the following that explains the psoas muscle:

Begin Quote:
"The psoas muscle is a major muscle in the human body, responsible for stabilizing the base of the spine, allowing the spine to flex, and rotating the hips for a free range of movement. When kept limber, the psoas functions smoothly with the other muscles of the body to support an upright posture and a flexible lower spine and hips. When the psoas is strained or contracted, it can lead to limitations in free range of motion and an increase of lower back pain.

The start of the psoas muscle is found in the lumbar, or lower spine, where the paired psoas muscles anchor on either side of the spine. The muscles wrap around, into the pelvic area, and attach at the knobby part of the hip with several strong tendons. The psoas muscles are considered to be crucial among the hip flexor muscles. Hip flexors allow people to bend their bodies into their hips and to pull their hips into their bodies, and are an important part of human anatomy.

Individuals who experience lower back or hip pain may have contracted psoas muscles which are not providing the support that they need. They should gently stretch to elongate their muscles and make them more flexible, as well as seeking medical attention if the pain continues, grows worse, or changes. Engaging in a regular physical fitness routine which includes stretching such as Pilates or Yoga will help to keep the psoas muscle aligned, strong, and flexible, along with other vital muscles of the body."
End Quote

As always, consult with your physician and ask what can be done to help strength it. I would think a good rehab program may help. In my case nothing can be done. Please keep us updated and let us know how you/he are doing. Bless you for being so supportive and caring. Take Care, Tuck

Hi Again,

I just wanted to ad that you may want to post your questions as a new question instead of adding this on to an old post. You should get better responses if you do that.

Weekends tend to be a bit slow in activity. Again thank you for your question. Take care and feel free to contact me for any specific questions.  Tuck
I have neuropathy from a total knee replacement.  Lyrica and Neurontin are awful.  I am now using  TENS unit and finding relief from constant burning sensation in my knee and shin.  No side effects, some results. Worth thinking about.
I was taking Neurontin for nerve pain and had to quit it. It was making me fall asleep while driving it was making me swell so bad it hurt to walk, I call it the devil pill. I can't take the normal pills they use for nerve pain cause of the sife effects so I have to be treated with pain meds. Good luck to you.
Jamie
hang in there Kriss. I have severe spinal nerve pain and I take Lyrica. Has some tough side effects but I always try and remain postive. You have friends. Dave ***@****
I tried Lyrica for a lower pain injury that never healed properly (soft tissue/nerve damage).  Worked for the first two weeks than starting having major right are stiffness to the point I could not move it.  Neurologist weaned me off and put me on low dose Neurontin.  What a difference.  Started 100 mg/3 times a day.  After a month up to 4 times a day.  Very little sleepiness and pain is probably 90+ gone.  Do have a slight headache when drug is waring off after 5 or 6 hours.  So far so good....
I am up to 150mg 4x per day of Lyrica and still have pain. At times I get sleepy but for a 54year old that's probably typical any way. I use 30mg/4xday of mscontin which is continuos release of morphine sulphate. It is cheaper than oxycontin and does not have the stigma. Whatever it takes to function. I work 8 hours per day as an architect so I am pretty high functioning.
Remember to work up slowly on all these drugs as it takes time for your system to acclimate. don't give up too soon.