Pain Management Community
Medication Withdrawl(withdrawal)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Medication Withdrawl(withdrawal)

My pain dr. wants me to stop taking Baclofen. I am not complaining about side effect ,increase or decrease my dosage. I still have breakthrough pain. I do not understand her reasoning for my pain management. I take 10 mg tid.
She now wants me to take the medication every other day. She has not given me any titration method. I go to a large rural clinic and the clinic has made a policy to discontinue particular types of medication.. She is now on medical leave for 5 months...
If there's one thing I've learned with my long experience with medicine, there is no accounting for an individual physician's choice of medication. Many have biases for or against specific medications. Others get comfortable with prescribing a certain regimen and treat all pain syndromes identically, which is stupid.

That said, baclofen is a special kind of muscle relaxant that is generally prescribed for spasticity. Unless you suffer from a palsy-type disease, or have been diagnosed with a condition like tortion dystonia, baclofen may not be the best muscle relaxant for you.

Ask your doctor the reasons she is weaning you from baclofen, and for a substitute muscle relaxant. Personally, I like dantrolene (Dantrium) because it works directly on the muscle fiber and does not involve the central nervous system. There are may choices of muscle relaxant -- I believe you'll find a post of mine on the Chronic Pain Couch where I list them all, and describe the two different types.

Use the search here in MedHelp for more information.

Good luck.
No reason was given except you will feel better. She has ordered for 4 years and now the change. No plans for replacement for muscle relaxant. Other PM x3 ordered it for me. The pain doc are being influenced by new
guidelines from ???
Well, the results of how you feel will determine if she is correct or not.

With many types of pain, an antispastic muscle relaxant is not appropriate. Because these medications work in the central nervous system , they can cause negative side-effects.

If sleeping is the problem, there may be more effective medications.

Give it a try for a month and then report to your doc.

In the mean time, keep a pain diary and bring it to your next visit -- with pain, this is sometimes the only documentation method available to track your pain and your treatment's effectiveness.

One thing is certain for people like us with chronic pain -- a great deal of patience is required before effective pain control is achieved. Personally, I recently went through an 18 month cycle of high pain levels while my doctors figured out the best modalities of treatment and medication regimen.

I understand your frustration -- I advise you to discover new behaviors that help with your condition. Be creative.

Best wishes.