Pain Management Community
Medication change question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Medication change question

I went to the drs today and explained that the oxy 15s I was prescribed were not working as well as the 10/325s I was on so my dr. gives me morphine 30 mgs I have taken a few they dont seem very strong either.  I was told I was not allowed to switch for a while.  I will have to just make them work.  will they start working better in a while or am I just stuck on then?
  P.S.---- Try not to worry about which medication is stronger than the other. Concentrate on how well the medicine is working for you, the side effects, etc.  You will be a much happier, and hopefully more pain free patient. I think the breakdown from weakest to strongest goe ssomething like this:
vicodin
percocet (5 mg. & 10 mg.)
Morphine  (instant release)
oxycodone
dilaudid
MScontin
oxycontin
exalgo
methadone
fentanyl            
This is only my opinion, in no way is this actually medically accurate, but it's possible! Remember medications can effect someone else a lot more differently than they effect you (did I say that right?). Example: Older people may need a lower dosage of a medication than a young adult would. I'm not sure why that is, but that's the norm I guess.  Just try and find what works best for your pain, without thinking that you must be on the strongest opiate available. I think it's best to be on the lowest dose that's manageable, so that when pain increases, or changs, the dosage can be increased without problems. Trust me it's not fun when your "maxed out" dosage-wise and you have sudden increased pain. Increasing your dose isn't an option (your maxed out). I'll stop blabbing now! Good luck with your pain,
                        Shinty
If the 10/325 worked OK, then maybe adding a regular Tylenol will help. That what the 325 in the 10/325 is.
thankyou for answering my question I also asked amout the moraphine 30mg are they stronger then the oxycodone 10/325?
I think oxycodone is far superior when compared with morphine (as far as how well it works for pain. I would ask your doctor to just switch you back" to the "oxy 15s" when you are able to,. you can always take tylenol with your oxycodone, which magically turns them into  them into a "strong percocet". When you said the morphine "doesn't seem very strong", what do you mean by saying that exactly? I'm just curious, just like your doctor.
vicodin
percocet (5 mg. & 10 mg.)
Morphine  (instant release)
oxycodone
dilaudid
MScontin
oxycontin
exalgo
methadone
fentanyl            
                        Shinty
I think you gave me the best answer to what I was asking  I am stuck on the morphine for a while now dr doesnt want to keepswitching me Which I understand.  I dont want to be on the strongest pain med because I will have no where to go in 30yrs from now so I am not wanting to go to high.  Thank you for your answer it made things so much  clearer.
Jenn