Pain Management Community
Medication for sciatica

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Medication for sciatica

What is the simplest medication for sciatica
That's a loaded question for sure!!!!

What are your specific symptoms? Have you any imaging studies or an EMG done?
I too suffer from sciatica and SIJD among other things.

Wish I could be more specific but without those facts its difficult to answer your post.

I assume you are seeing a specialist for this problem?

Best of luck.

Brian.
Hi Pipemead:

I agree with Nomometh...Need more information. I can tell you that during a Sciatica spell, many ppl turn to narcotics but it can be easily handled with OTC medications as well. It really depends on you and your Doctor..basically it's how your Doctor wants to treat it. Sciatica can last for hours or days, it all depends on the severity of it. Sciatica can either land one in bed or just be a painful bother.

Sorry that I cannot give you further information. Your question is a broad one. Please take care.
Mollyrae
hi, I've been on gabapentin(neurontin)1400-1800mg for abt 5 years for sciatica...and other nerve pain. It has been a God send for me allows me to sleep at night without that throbbing pain.
gabapentin is an anti-seisure medication, there are others in this catagory that I'v read that are also good.
Hi Pipemead,

Welcome to MedHelp's Pain Mangement Forum. I am sorry about your sciatica. I too suffer with it and very advanced SIJ Dysfunction.

I don't think there is a simple answer to your question. Much depends on what is causing it. Sciatica is not a condition it is a symptom of a condition. Therefore treatment should be aimed at the condition or disease process that is causing the sciatica in addition to treating the pain.

Everyone responds differently to medications and treatments. My sciatica is caused by joint and muscle inflammation and swelling which than presses on the sciatic nerve. I do not have nerve entrapment.

If the sciatica is caused by entrapment that the obvious solution or treatment should be to treat the source. If it is not, as mine is not, than the treatment is focused on the inflammation an adjustments of the structure involved. Gabapentin does not relieve my pain. I require narcotics to keep my pain down usually to a loud growl instead of a ear deafening roar.

If you could share with us the cause of your sciatica we may be able to offer better suggestions. I'll look forward to your updates.

Take Care,
Tuck
I wish I had an answer for you, I've had it for over 30 years. I had a surgery to correct it in 1989 and it only gave me low back pain every day since to add to the misery. I tried a lot of meds with no luck, am on narcotic meds now but they come with their own set of problems.
You need further testing to find out the cause. The drugs some people mentioned here are good too, I had some side effects from them so I had to stop them but everyone's different and they work well for a lot of people.
Advil takes the edge off sometimes but the amounts you need to take can hurt your liver over time so you have to discuss it with your doctor.
Thank you everyone for the input.  After two days of rest a little advil everything is much improved.  
That's great. Given a little time with rest, it usually gets better.
Molly