Pain Management Community
Medication for severe back leg and nerve pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I have been having acute back and nerve pain for many years, after a failed spinal operation. I am currently taking 50 Mcg.patches of Fentayl plus 50 Mgs of Tramadol.. 4 times a day.  My primary care doctor has now prescribed adding 50 mg of Lyrica, twice a day.  

Can I start the Lyrica while still on the patches and Tramadol and How can I reduce the Tramadol while continuing Fentayl with the Lyrica with minimalTramadol withdrawal symptoms.

Marilyn (Mare3987)  
Hi Marilyn,

I was on Tramadol for 4 years before being switched to stronger medicines.  How long have you been taking the Tramadol?

My doctor replaced 1/2 of my daily Tramadol dose with Vicodin and I continued that for a year.  I did get very uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms from the Tramadol when that switch was made.  However...

My doctor a year later completely took me off the Tramadol and replaced it with Morphine ER with Percocet for break through pain and I had no withdrawal symptoms from stopping the Tramadol at all!!!  By the way, when I stopped the Tramadol completely, I was taking the same amount as you per day.

The amount of Fentanyl you are on is stronger than the starting dose of  Morphine that I was on when I stopped taking Tramadol.  And, the fentanyl dose is much much stronger than the Tramadol so I don't think you should get any withdrawal symptoms.  

I would just try to not take it anymore and see how it goes.  But first and foremost make sure your doctor is okay with this.

femmy
Thanks so much Femmy  I will be seeing my doctor tomorrow and discuss your comments.