Pain Management Community
Methadone and Depression

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Methadone and Depression

I have been taking narcotic painkillers for about a year now, in response to a back injury last February that the doctors have not successfully been able to treat. I started off with Vicodin, but having had gastric bypass surgery several years ago, I needed a painkiller that I could more easily digest. I was moved to liquid oxycodone and continue on that for many months, but I acquired a tolerance to it very easily so I was taking more and more of it, having to increase the dosage every 4-6 weeks. In December my doctor put me on liquid methadone as opposed to increasing the liquid oxycodone dosage again. I take 5ml (1 tsp) every 8 hours.

I have always struggled with depression. I take 300mg of Zolft and 200mg of Wellbutrin daily. With the other narcotic painkillers, I felt like an depressive feelings were manageable and that I was able to still feel and function "normally." Now on the methadone, I can feel myself sliding downhill with the depression. I continue to take my medication, but I still feel myself being pulled down that familiar path of less energy, less motivation, all of the hallmarks of depression that I have known for years.

I am not sure what to do about this depression. Years ago after an ankle surgery I experienced depression as a result of vicodin use. At that time the psychiatrist told me I needed to get off of the narcotic painkillers. I don't think I am able at this point to get off these painkillers. I don't think there is a non-narcotic substitute that will allow me to function and work with the back pain that I have.

Has anyone else experienced depression from methadone or from any other painkiller? Were you able to continue taking the painkiller and yet be treated for the depression as well?  
Hi Feliciadragon,

It's not uncommon for chronic pain to exacerbate depression. When you add a narcotic that depression can be difficult to keep at bay.

A change in your opiate may help. I would discuss this with your prescribing physician. Methadone gave me such a headache I could not tolerate it. We are all different and medications work differently on our systems.

I am blessed that I do not have clinical depression. Although I have had short bouts of situational depression I have always been able to manage through it. So I cannot offer you any personal suggestions.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

My Best,
~tuck