Pain Management Community
Methadone for chronic pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Methadone for chronic pain

For anyone who has ever taken Methadone for chronic pain management...When you first started taking Methadone, how long did it take for it to control your pain? How many days, weeks, etc.?

My best friend was started on Methadone to manage completely debilitating chronic pain that is the result of multiple, major, back-to-back abdominal surgeries. Tonight marks the fourth full day of her being on Methadone, and she's really not feeling any better. How long can it take?

Also, if you were put on other meds in combination with Methadone, what were they?

Any insights are greatly appreciated!!
I have taken probably every painkiller available, including methadone. None have ever "killed" the pain. I simply had to take enough not to care or go to sleep. Has the cause of your pain been diagnosed and where is it coming from?
I was on Methadone for a while and it really depends on the dosage she is on for what will control pain. Plus if she has been on other Narcotic pain medications and is started on a very low dose of Methadone she may not feel any or very little results. Methadone is also a highly addictive drug which is harder to detox off of than heroin. It completely wiped me out making me turn into a vegatative stage to where even thoug it helped with the pain, I had no interest in anything surrounding me and I am a young 35 year old mom and wife. It is a very dangerous drug if not contolled properly and one of the largest drugs people tend to start "self medicating" while on it. Normally a pain management specialist will use this drug as well as an adjunct medication to help with the breakthrough pain. Methadone is one of the drugs that it does have to build up in your system so taking an extra dose could lead to accidental overdose. It normally takes about 1-3 weeks for it to build up and keep working as it is not known for immediate relief since it is in a class of longer acting medications. I have been put on many meds in conjuction with Methadone for my 4 years running Chronic Abdominal Pain, but the best thing that ever happened was getting myself off of this drug because of what it can do to a persons mental status. There are so many more "clean" acting medications out there for Chronic Pain Patients so she needs to speak up and if its not working she doesnt have to stick to it. But she should keep her remaining pills for her doctor to count so it instills a trust factor so the doc doesnt think she is self medicating and using more than prescribed. It is all about proper documentation and trust me, I have been in this situation for 4 years now and it pleases the docs to be able to physically see your pills and have you count in front of him/her to build a trust. I hope all of this information helps.... I have tons more info if not so just let me know : )