Pain Management Community
Methadone to patches?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Methadone to patches?

Hi All- I am getting ready to see a new pain Doc and I want to get of methadone bc of the bad WD. I have FM, DDD, rupt disc, migraine ect. What are WD like from patch, do you guys have good experience with it? Is it comparable to methadone? I can feel myself having to go up on my dose already bc my pain is getting worse and I know going off methadone is horrible so I wanted to try something with less side effects.(weight gain, I also have nightmares on the methadone). Also is the patch expensive? I'm on Medicaid? I don't want to even mention a new medication for myself to a prospective Doc unless I know it's worth the risk of putting myself out there and being called a "drug seeker"you
know? It's a scary world,

Inga
Hi Inga,

I'm so glad that you started a new thread. :)

The FIRST thing that I will tell you is that from MY understanding the Fentanyl is SUPPOSED to be the hardest medication to be able to get off of.  AGAIN from MY understanding it is ALSO the STRONGEST pain medication that we can get.  It's supposed to be 80 to 100 times STRONGER than morphine.  

NOW,  I will ALSO tell you that it is WITHOUT A DOUBT the BEST medication that I have EVER had.  I have SEVERE DDD which is the WORSE that you can have and I have had a total of 6 RFA's - Radio Frequency Ablation - 3 on each side of my lower back. BEFORE my hip surgery I was on 62 mcg of the Fentanyl Patch AFTER my surgery they put me on 100 mcg's of the patch and then AFTER the break in my Femur bone I was put on 125 mcg's of the Fentanyl patch.  I've ALREADY come down from 125mcg's to 88 mcg's, that's down 36 mcg's and NO WITHDRAWALS AT ALL!!!  One thing that I have discovered is that IF you TRULY need ANY medication for pain then you WON'T have withdrawals IF IT IS DONE PROPERLY!!!!  My PM Doctor is WONDERFUL and he is taking me down, AS I REQUEST IT, 12 mcg's at a time!!!!  The 12 mcg patch is the SMALLEST that they make.  The BRAND THAT YOU WANT is MYLAN.  It sticks the VERY best and CAN'T be abused AND doesn't have the chance of putting too much medication into your system when it isn't supposed to.   It has the Fenrtanyl that is PUT INTO THE ADHESIVE!!!  The OTHER type has the Fentanyl as a GEL that is put into a type of bubble in the patch and CAN BREAK and seep into your skin!!  BE SURE that you ask for the MYLAN Brand!!!! It has the BEST  adhesive for adhering to your skin and apply them to you upper back.  That's the BEST place to have them stick with NO problem.  

I have been on them for 1 year now and I'm having NO problems and they have DEFINITELY taken care of my pain.  I HOPE that IF your Doctor allows you to try the Fentanyl Patch that you have the same WONDERFUL results that I have had. I haven't known you long BUT I understand the pain that you are going through.

You must understand that SOME Doctor's are VERY hesitant about allowing patients your age to have the STRONGEST medication out there as there is NOTHING else to go to later after they have maxed out there medication so JUST be aware that you MIGHT have a  problem obtaining them.  SOME Doctor's just DON'T want to give out the patches at all because of the DEA so I have NO idea what your Doctor will say.  ESPECIALLY since your Doctor is NEW he MAY NOT even consider giving you the patch.   You will just have to see when you seel him.

I wish  you the VERY best and let us know how your NEW Doctor's visit goes.

{{{HUGS}}}......Mama Sherry
Hi Inga,

{{{HUGS}}}......Mama Sherry
I have been on the Fentanyl patches for about 3 years & it is by far the WORST medication to be on.  U build up a tolerance fairly quickly & if for whatever reason you don't replace it when you are due or slightly before you can start going through horrible painful withdrawals. Do your research online & be sure to talk to as many people as possible.  Dr's don't tell you everything you need to know about it cuz if they did no one would take it.  It's 80 times stronger then morphine & apparently over 50 times stronger then heroin.  That's some pretty scary numbers

I'd love to explain it to you more so feel free to message me & I'll msg you back asap.

Melissa
Mama Sherry and Mellissa-I know every one responds differently to every med. I am very disciplined about keeping my meds as low as possible. Precasets tend to make mr go on a roller coaster with my emotions, although it does take care of my pain. (I also have a mood disorder.) however, the pain in my back this year has brought me to my knees and I have a choice to either take the medication (keeping it low) or live a severely limited life style. I have three children who need me. Methadone works but it scares me. I am hoping this doctor will really work with me. The pain in my hips and back has taken over the Fybromyalgia in urgency at this point, I really want my life back. I am open to trying the smallest patch but I will begin with whatever the Doctor wants. Really that's all I can do but I still would like to be informed about any options. Thnx for your input girls,

Inga
I can sympathize with you.  I have debilitating pain in my back which causes numbness in my legs. I too have children that rely on me daily & am currently 25 weeks pregnant with child #3.  Regardless if you think you can keep your meds low or not Fentanyl is a VERY strong medication.  The dosage you'll be given depends on the dosage of Methadone you're on.  They do it as a conversion, but have never heard of people going from methadone to Fentanyl, it's always the reverse & as a way to get off it.  I STRONGLY encourage you to do a lot of research about the risks of using Fentanyl & truly weigh it out.  There are risks with every medication, but having not done my research in the beginning & finding it all now I see how dangerous this medication truly is.

I live a very limited lifestyle even with the Fentanyl as I am still in pain, but don't want to take a higher dose of it as coming off of it is difficult.  I wouldn't recommend this medication unless you plan on using it the rest of your life.  It was orginally prescribed ONLY for terminally ill cancer patients.

I do encourage you to inbox msg me.  I've been on it for several years & know MANY people who have used it as well, all of their responses are different, but equally important.  You want to be as informed as possible BEFORE you start taking it.

Melissa
Thank you for you input. I will definitely tread carefully and keep you informed as to what my Doctor suggests. My three boys are relying on me so much. As well as I am the bread winner for my family as my husband is on unemployment right now. It is so hard to concentrate in the type of work I do when I am intense excruciating pain all day. I just joined a pool to swim so I am looking forward to some "me time" too. Maybe I will try going back to precasets  they cause mood swings in me and upset my stomach.

Merry Xmas

Ingrid