Pain Management Community
Methadone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Methadone

I am on Methadone for the treatment of CHRONIC pain and I am having a hard time locating a pharmacy That has it in stock. I am due to have my prescription filled on April 2 so I started calling around my neighborhood pharmacies in Sunrise Florida, but no body has it in stock. Can someone please help me?
Hello there!
   I live in Washington state, my daughter is currently taking methadone and it's not a problem with pharmacies here, not yet anyway. From what I have read from other members and their posts; Florida is difficult regarding methadone. I wish I knew more so I could say more to help you. Currently, you are doing the only thing you CAN do - call around until you find a pharmacy that dispenses your medication. You could also call your doctors office for info. - they might be aware of a certain pharmacy that will fill your script. Also, ask the pharmacies (as you call them) if they know of any that carry your medication. Best of luck Tygrlilie ... and best of care!
                                            ~   Slenderthread                                                
I feel for you.  From what I have read here on the forums and heard on the news, Florida is a bad place to live for anyone who is a chronic pain patient because of the way they are clamping down so strictly on things.  I have read that there is a whole county where pharmacists are forbidden from selling oxycodone!  What the heck is a chronic pain patient supposed to do?  I wish I could offer some suggestions, but I live in South Texas.  I wish you the best of luck and hope that you find a solution.

Ghilly
I don't have any experience with Methadone but in my area there are times oxycodone is scarce.  In particular the 10 mg. can be particularly difficult to get.  Sometimes my pharmacy will call several local ones to see if they have it before I have to drive all over creation to find it.  You could also ask the pharmacist if they can order what you need.  If you'll need the same amount every month, it's possible they could do that.

Last year all the pharmacies around here had a shortage on oxycodone.  I found some that I called would not reveal whether they had it in stock or not and they needed to see the actual prescription.  I did find one who was willing to order it every month and one who ordered it to be mailed to my house by the next day.

I hope you'll be able to find a pharmacy that can order it for you.  I would think that there's plenty of time to order it if you don't need it until April 2nd.  Let us know how this turns out.
Another option is to use a mail order pharmacy like Medco.  I am not sure what type of insurance you have but mail order pharmacies always have every type of opioid medication in stock and all you have to do is send the paper script by mail to the pharamacy and they will fill it and have it shipped to your doorstep.  It takes a little longer to get your prescription the first time around so be sure to send off the script at least 3 weeks in advance to allow time for processing.  After that, send it off 2 weeks in advance and you will have at your doorstep on time.  If you don't have three weeks right now, send it off next day air and then you can pay extra to have them rush it to you after processing.  Good luck.  Please keep us updated.

femmy
Thanks everyone so much for your responses, I was recently in the hospital for three days because I had a flare up of my Crohn's disease which is what is causing my chronic pain and why I am taking Methadone. My Dr was able to give me my prescription early, she increased my Methadone from 10 mgs daily to 15 mgs daily and that has helped my pain. Fortunately, I was able to find the 5 mg tablets at the Walgreen's near me and spoke to the pharmacist, she agreed to ordre my Methadone every month so I could feel more at ease about getting my pain meds filled every month. Thank-you for all of the advice though, at least I know about other options If I should have anymore problems, Tygrlilie
I'm having same problem finding methadone. My pharmacy says its on order. It was supposed to be in last Monday but wasn't. Neither do they have my Dilaudid which I've been taking for breakthrough pain for 6 years. I've been to every pharmacy i could find in 4 cities near me. I live in Holiday FL. Since I've been taking 40 mgs daily for 12 years, this is a major problem because of withdrawl (withdrawal). Its frustrating when you can't have your scripts filled when you need them. Hoping to find my meds soon before I go completely insane!