Pain Management Community
Methodose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Methodose

What does methodose do to bones and liver
Tags: bones
Hello and welcome to MH.
I think the term your looking for is "Methadone" am I correct?
Methadone is a heavy narcortic used in the pain industry and also for Substance abuse problems.
Do you take Methadone? I am wondering why you are asking.
As far as the Liver, it is easier on the Liver than most but still not good for it. As far as the Bones, I don't know....You should consult a physician.
Take care,
Mollyrae
Hello Dee,

There are some recent studies on the effects on bone density and opiates, including Methadone. It is a fact that many opiates effect the cells that repair bones as well as the formation of new bone cells. I have included exerts form 2 studies in this response to your question. They are as follows:

"Opiates—including codeine, heroin and morphine—can impair the functioning of cells that repair bones. These drugs can also impair the formation of new bones. Opiates can also reduce the level of hormones such as testosterone, estrogen and DHEA. Less-than-normal levels of these hormones may cause unexpected tiredness, depression and bone loss."

"Researchers in Boston conducted a study with 92 volunteers who were using methadone as part of an addiction recovery program. They found that 83% of participants had thin bones. Indeed, 35% had osteoporosis and none of them had previously received this diagnosis. Many study participants had several risk factors for developing thinning bones."

"More than three quarters of this sample of patients in a MMT (Methadone Maintenance Therapy) program had low BMD. Treatable conditions associated with low BMD were commonplace. Efforts to increase awareness of low BMD in MMT patients should be considered so that effective treatment may be employed to lower future fracture risk."

I would conclude that your BMD should be monitored. Methadone is not the only opiate that can contribute to bone loss. Your age and gender will also have an impact on your BMD. Supplements can be taken to avoid this side effect but you should always consult with your PCP or you PMP. Best of luck to you and Take Care, Tuck