Pain Management Community
Migraine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Migraine

I was given Butalbital-caff-apar-cod and had a terrible reaction.  So doc gave me Methylprednisolone 4 mg dostri.  Could not find any info on how meth...helps a headache.  Any info???
In my opinion, that is a very odd medication for a migraine.  Usually triptans like Imitrex or Maxalt are given for migraines and work very well.  Usually the Fiorinal is given for tension headaces.  Good luck and I hope you can find the perfect medication for you.  
Hello Grandmadavis,

Welcome to the Pain Management forum. I am glad that you found us and took the time to post.

Methylprednisolone is a synthetic (man-made) corticosteroid. It is used to achieve prompt suppression of inflammation. It is used in the treatment of certain types of headaches. One of the most common use is headaches is for episodic Cluster Headaches. It usually breaks the painful cycle of migraines.

Do you experience Cluster Headaches? Are they episodic or chronic?

When ppl have chronic cluster headache, most patients are on continuous daily medication to prevent the clusters. The prophylactic (meaning preventative) medications for episodic and chronic cluster headaches differ slightly.

I hope this helps you understand the medication a bit better. Don't forget that your local pharmacist has a wealth of knowledge. They are usually excellent at explaining the effectiveness and how each medication functions. I encourage you to call or visit your pharmacist.

How effective has the medication been for you? I hope it has been very beneficial. I wish you the very best and hope that you will keep us posted. We will look forward to your updates.

Take Care,
~Tuck