Pain Management Community
Morphine Sulphate 30mg/ Morphine SO4 15mg

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

My PM doctor prescribed my two Morphines for my Degenerative Disc Disease L3-L5.  I requested Oxycontin because I know it works and th 15mg Morphine Sulfate did nothing.  I told my PM doctor that I doubled and quadrupled my dose for the 15mg and still felt no relief.  I almost feel like its a placebo that they are experimenting on me with.  Has anyone had any relief from being on this type of Morphine?
Hi Jim,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am glad you found us but nor completely certain what you are referring to regarding the morphine.

I assume your PMP has given you a short acting and a long acting when you say he has given you two morphine's for your pain. Does that sound correct to you?

Ms Contin has not been effective for me in the past whereas the short acting one has  provided me with some pain releif. It makes no sense to me but it is the case. Possibly the MS Contin dosage that was ordered for me was not strong enough to be effective.

In your case it appears that the drug may just not be metabolized and utilized as effectively as it does in some ppl. Our systems are all different and what works well for one may not work well for another.

The physician that prescribes my pain medication will not prescribe Oxycontin. That is her personal preference and I respect her opinion. Your PMP may have a similar preference. If he will not prescribe you Oxycontin will he try something else besides the morphine? My physician works with me on those issues.

Understand that insisting on a certain opiate and not trying other options may send your PMP a warning signal that is not correct. So be open to other opiates. If however you are not obtaining any pain releif and your PMP refuses to try something that may be effective than it may be time to seek out another PMP.

Good luck to you. I hope you will keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Take Care,
Tuck
yea you hit it on the nail, PMP gave me 15mg SO4 immediate for breakthrough and 30mg morphine.  Neither one of them seem to work well but my PMP just wont do Oxycontin and she suspects me for even asking for it.  My options are limited because I go to the VA for my treatment so I guess I'll just have to make due.
I know that most physicians suspect a patient that comes to them asking for a specific narcotic. I will and have tried any reasonable medication my physician has requested I try for pain. Unfortunately nothing is very effective. My system is very sensitive to drugs and I have a lot of allergies to many different types and family of medications.

I have respiratory issues with morphine in addition to little relief. So for the most part I deal with my pain and take Vicodin.  

In time your physician may feel more comfortable with you. As you build a relationship she may change her mind or at least order something that is more effective for you. Cost may be a factor also. Morphine is reasonably priced compared to something like Fentanyl.

Good luck to you. I'll look forward to your updates.
oxy is a very controversial drug...a major drug of abuse due to the fact that it is time released//and chewing , snorting and shooting is a huge but short lived buzz...and the drug contains no tylenol so larger amounts can be consumed...they r in the process of making an oxy that has a built in blocker of some type in it...not really sure of the details...just know there r not many drs around who will rx this drug...i have used both the short morphine 15 ir and the long...i used them for pain when i had to cos they gave me no buzz...oxy and hydro do...so it was a safer pain med for me...but we r all different with different needs...best to take it up with ur dr but morphine/as a rule/ is a strong narcotic for pain
I have had surgery on L3,4 and 5. Morphine so4ir was the only drug that gave me relief of  pain. I tried other pan meds to no avail. I am also a VA patient and they have other alternatives to morphine. I was offered oxycotin but refused it.I know others that were on it and became addicted.