Pain Management Community
Morphine and depression/anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Morphine and depression/anxiety

I have been taking 60 mg. extended release morphine twice daily for 3.5 months. I have had issues for 30 years with anxiety and depression but it flared up almost immediately after I began the morphine. Normally the anxiety resolves itself within a few weeks but this time it has persisted and continues on. Could it be caused by the morphine? This is my thought but the pharmacist said he didn't think it was.
Also my doctor is suggesting 8 tylenol a day to replace the morphine. I am so skeptical of it being adequate though I know I can manage less than the 60 mg of morphine now. What are your thoughts?
If your doctor is suggesting you take 8 Tylenol's a day, i would begin searching for a new doctor. Tylenol will cause more damage in the long run than the morphine would, IMHO.
Personally I don't think 8 or even 12 Tylenol would provide you with enough pain relief if you normally take morphine. Maybe there is another pain med you could try??  I was allergic to morphine so I was switched a couple times until I found what worked for me.  I hope you find something that works for you. I would suggest bring in a printed list of meds that's covered.