Morphine vs Oxycodone
Have had chronic back pain & fibromyalgia but I am going to have back surgery for stenosis and want to stop my narcotic meds. I have morphine cr 45mg 3x/day which I asked to change due to side effects. Dr put me on Oxycodone 20mg 4x/day. After my back surgery recuperation I want to stop the meds. Which one should I be on for an easier withdrawal.  I am scared because I have been on this for ages. When I have the surgery I can ask the dr to use the med that would be easier for me to withdraw so what do you think.    Thanks so much

Hi Mimisipoo,

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum. I am glad that you found us and took the time to post....but sorry to hear that you have had long term pain.

My guess is Oxycodone would be an easier withdrawal, though none are "easy." I'm basing my opinion on reports of our members and the half life difference between the two drugs.

Some years ago I withdrew from a small doses of oxycodone with no major symptoms. I had gone down to 10mg's a day for about six months when I stopped cold turkey, with my physician's approval of course. The pain was barely controlled on that dose and once I stopped it the pain just continued to increase.

Our members may have other suggestions for you. I wish you the very best with your surgery and recovery. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Take Care,
~Tuck~
Thank you for your comment. Maybe I will try to lessen my Oxycondone dose now prior to my surgery. The neurosurgeon is very strict on meds so I assume he will not give me much.  I will request that I do not get a high dose.  He knows that I can not wait to get off my pain meds after all these yrs.   I never knew it would be like this.  My head must have been in the sand.   Thank you so much.   Mimisipoo
Hi:

I would have to agree with Tuck. Oxycodone is the lesser of the two drugs. That is, it's less potent than Morphine. It is also better for a taper. Oxycodone will allow you to drop to a 5mg tab instead of a 15mg tab with Morphine. I also feel that you'll get better pain control with the Oxycodone.

This is just my opinion.

Good luck with everything.
Mollyrae
Ask your doctor to refer you to a pain management specialist. They can perscribe either suboxone/naloxone OR subtex. Suboxone comes in sublingual strips that don't taste as bad and dissolve instantly under your tongue. You cannot take regular opiate pain medication however while taking either because this medication is specifically designed to help people withdrawal from heroin/ and synthetic heroin aka any opioid pain meds. I specifically asked my doc to put me on subtex after my surgery because I had been prescribed norco for pain and didnt want to have any side effects. It's a VERmY effective medication and doesn't give you any doped up feeling or nausea like the regular opiates. I would highly recommend it and hope that this helps
You are responding to a post/thread that is 3 years old...You have also done this on a few other threads and one that is close to 5 years old..

While it's great that you are trying to help...please look at the dates before posting so you don't waste time talking to someone who isn't there anymore..LOL....

The easiest way to see if a thread is old before reading/responding is to notice the hourglass symbol that they use to identify these types of threads..

Thanks..

I think the morphine would be the best to withdraw from simply because it's the weaker of the two drugs milligram-wise, or dosage-wise. I have heard horror stories from people weaning off of suboxone. Then again, every medication effects people differently.......talk with your doctor about this, he/she knows you best. Good luck.
houglass!
Hi Shinty, Yes, I am looking for an hourglass also--Can not find it :)
hey you two---stop wasting your time here --we need you at the pain couch!    HA!  Hello there!  I took the hourglass--it was me. I thought the morphine was in it! ------We have it at the couch if you want to see it. Legendary. The sand in it from ancient Egypt---known to cure pain. .  I love you pain-friends---omhome
Om, I sure can count on U to make me Giggle- love you- omhome