Pain Management Community
Morphine vs Percocet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Morphine vs Percocet

6435427?1291880422
I have been going to a pain management clinic for four years now.  At first, I walked out of the clinic with 120 percocets a month.  About a year later I talked to my doctor about a higher mg of percs because I was taking so many at a time causing me to run out at the end of the month.  My doctor prescribed me 90 15mg morphine sulf ER for a month then I went up to 90 30mg morphine sulf ER.  I also was getting 60 5/325 percocets for breakthru pain.  I left that doctor to completely get off of the pain killers.  I recently went back because I need them due to more pain.  He gave me 120 5/325 percs for the first month, then he told me he wanted me directly back on the morphine.  I almost cried because I do not want on the morphine.  There is a stigma with that drug and I think that is what scares me about it.  The percocet work great...I would like him to just give me a higher mg...like 120 30mg percocet rather than the morphine but he REFUSES.  What should I do?  I do not like the morphine along with the stigma it holds, it makes me feel loopy, tired, and gives me headaches.  How can I explain to him the morphine is not helping just because it is extended release?  
This is my first day coming to this site.  I just joined and posted this.  I have no idea why I put that pic in there...lol.  I do not see a place to edit comments I have posted either!  
I have been exactly where you are! My pain doctor would not listen either. Every time I saw him I would complain that the morphine made me feel "out of it" and that I did not like it. He kept insisting that i take it and then proceeded to up the dosage!  Six weeks later I woke up in the ICU hallucinating and suffering from kidney failure! I don't remember how I got there, in fact, I don't remember the whole month of February(2010), and now I suffer from short term memory loss.
My friends tell me that during the month of February I became a different person. I was mean, yelling and cursing at my friends, I was sleeping a lot and never seemed to know if it was morning or night. I also had a car accident that I don't remember. It seems I crossed over a lane of on coming traffic and slammed sideways into a concrete culvert! Apparently I was not hurt because they say I begged the couple who were driving behind and stopped to help, not to call an ambulance or the cops.Instead I called some friends to come pick e up. To this day i still have no memory of the accident or anything else that happened in February. All I know is that if my son had not found me when he did the doctors say that the next day I would have been dead.
Please, if you feel "funny" on the morphine, find  another doctor who will listen and get you off this stuff!
Let me now what happens and how you are doing.
jupiterjane
I am having the same problem with my doctor. I was first on 120 5/235 percocets. I had to take 2 at a time ( my doctor always knew this ). I needed something for the night time, but she just put me on some muscle relaxers, flexeril, that helped me sleep..... a little, not much. Finally I had had enough. I went to her asking for one more dose of the percocet for night time. She instead put me on MS contin 15 mg 3x a day. I hated it. She also gave me 60 percocet 5/325 for breakthrough pain.  I didn't feel drugged up from the morphine, just tired all the time. So lazy and queasy too all the time. I told my doctor I hated the medication. SInce I was so used to percocet and it worked, she put me on oxycontin. That worked great. I felt so much better. Unfortunately my insurance won't pay for it and I can't afford $218 a month for it. So my doctor put me back on the ****** morphine. I thought I would give it more of a shot. Well 15 mg. doesn't work so she had to bump it up to 30. I hate taking the 15 let alone 15 more every 8 hours. The 30 does work for the pain (when it works) but I still hate the way I feel all the time.When I say (When it works) what I mean is my doctor still only gives me 6o 5/325 percocets for breakthrough pain. I have to take that each and every night. (remember I take 2 at a time) that is one dose a day she gives me. I take it every night when I wake up in the middle of the night so I  have nothing for the day. Sometimes I take the MS C. and 3 hours later my breakthrough kicks in. I then can't take anything for another 5 hours. Then it takes 45 min to an hour to work so I am in agony for 6 hours. At least if I was taking only percocet, I wouldn't have to wait so long in between each pill. Even if it didn't work a full 4-6 hours. If it worked for 3 hours, I would only be in pain for another 3 hours before I can take it again. Anyone who suffers this kind of pain knows how lone 6 hours to wait is compared to 3. I don't know what to do. Somedays are ok, with not so much break through pain, other days are complete hell. But then even on good days I still feel like ****. So you see, I maybe not giving advice, because I am SOL too. It just felt good to vent and to let you know that there are others in your shoes. Doctors care more about drug abuse these days then they do the quality of life for their patients. It's so sad. I would like to say to my doctor, " If your mother was on this stuff, would you force her to stay on it feeling this way?" But no way. The last thing I want to do is get her mad. Good luck, and let me know if you get any really good advice, I could use some.
Wow, I am sorry to hear about everything that happend to you.  Ever since I started back on the morphine I too sleep all the time, and I do not feel like doing anything.  My poor daughter wants me to do so much before I take my meds because she knows once I take them I am going to be sleeping for a few hours.  What are you taking now for your pain?
Sounds like you are in the same boat as me.  I take the 5/325 percs for breakthru pain as well, I only get 30 of those a month now since he prescribed the MS.  I completely understand how you feel having to wait for meds to kick in.  My pain comes on so fast sometimes that I need something right then to relieve it and in order for that to happend I would have to take like 4 of my ms 15's when I could just take 2 of the perc 5's.  The MS does work for the duration of the day but I still get spasms and I need more percocet.  The morphine also makes me so drowsy I want to sleep and do nothing.  The percocets give me some type of energy because I feel so relieved.  I think I am going to have to find a new doctor, but then I have to worry about a doctor that will believe my problems and prescribe pain killers.  It is very difficult and stressful to have to go through this!!