Pain Management Community
Muscle pain around elbows

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Muscle pain around elbows

Hi everyone, I was hoping to get some advice on my issues.

For the past few months I've been having persistent muscle tenderness (tender and pain to the touch) on the outside of my elbows on both arms, going up and down the arm (on the side facing away from me). It goes through periods of getting worse and getting better. I tend to work out on a daily basis but have been avoiding anything that focuses on my arms for several weeks now (sticking to exercises such as running, abs and general daily activity such lifting light things) but the tenderness is still there. I've tried putting on ice packs on a nightly basis and it helps maybe about 15-20%. Massage seems to help a bit too.

Otherwise, I am a healthy 25 year old, no medical conditions, eat well, take all my vitamins, so I'm confused about what this could be.

Initially I thought it was just from over-exercising, but like I said, I haven't done anything to my arms for weeks (maybe months now) so I perhaps this is not an issue. Could it be something more serious?

Thanks so much.
You mention that the pain is located to the "outside" of the elbows so what I am going to tell you may or may not be your problem but when it comes to nerves the pain radiates so here it goes.

If you have been doing "curls" too heavy on a curling bench or any hard surface for that matter you may have Ulnar Nerve Entrapment on both arms. You need to see an Orthopedist and get an EMG to confirm this if that is your problem. It could also be other orthopedic problems so I still suggest you see a doctor.

The reason I am suggesting damage to the Ulnar Nerve is because I just had surgery to correct mine on the right side and now I am having symptoms on the left side which I am told is not uncommon.

The Ulnar Nerve runs from the shoulder down to the little finger and partially to the ring finger. When it becomes entrapped or damaged you will have the symptoms you describe, usually with numbness or pain in the fingers as well but not always.

Just leaning on your elbows too often can cause damage to the Ulnar Nerve because it is the only "unprotected" nerve in the body.

I suggest you make a quick trip to a doctor, even your PCP for an exam and possibly an EMG.

Please let us know how you make out.
I am sorry you have not been able to work out as you would like. My son is at the gym every chance he gets. I know the mentality if your not able to do what you want due to pain issues it is difficult to say the least.
I was hoping Red would post as I know he has went thru a similar situation.
I really do not have anything to add as I feel Red has covered it but want to say please do not wait too long to have this checked out by a doctor.
Let us know how your doing and keep us updated:)
Red,

Thanks for the advice. I've looked up Ulnar Nerve Entrapment and I don't think a lot of the symptoms apply to me.

I should add, since I forgot to post initially that the symptoms appeared on one arm first, and then after I ceased most physical activity, appeared on the other arm.. hence some of my concern. Unless regular daily activity is too much??? I've doing research online and it seems that inflammation is often the source?

Sandee- thanks for your support.

Sandee
As I stated the same thing has happened to me. First on the right and now on the left and I was recovering from ankle surgery at the time so I was doing nothing physical at all. It can certainly be from another problem, inflammation definitely being one, however when nerves are involved strange things happen.

I just want to add that symptoms from Ulnar Nerve damage vary and progress over time. The best thing to do is to see your PCP at the very least for a professional opinion.