Pain Management Community
Muscle relaxers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Muscle relaxers

Wondering what there is for muscle spasms. I tried flexeril and zanaflex and they dont do anything. Is there something stronger out there and if so do you still stay awake. I'm on Vicoprofen right now but it's not to effective. I was going to ask my Doc about Norco to see what he thinks of that. Thanks , f1swede
Hi.
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I have had good luck in the past with a muscle relaxer by the name of Soma (caristoprodol) (spelling). Also valium is great for the spasms too.
Good luck and take care,
Mollyrae
Hi Swede,

I would agree with Mollyrae. I have tried several muscle relaxers. The most effective for me has been diazepam (Valium). I was leery of trying it because it has a bad name due to abuse. I finally gave in and agreed to give it a try. And it works well for me.

That said I was prescribed 60 pills in May and I have about 20 left so I only use it when I just cannot stand or stop the spasms in any other manner. I doesn't give me the "hangover" that so many of the other muscle relaxants did.

Good luck to you. Let us know how you are doing. And as always, Take care of yourself, Tuck
Flexeril works for me, but I'm a zomby for 2 days after I take even a half of one. So... I don't take them . I am taking skelaxin, now. Not really convinced that it works. Knowing what's likely to bring a spasm on and a hot tub are my best bets. Although sometimes I will have spasms come on for no apparent reason! So... on it goes. I currently take Norco for pain...but it doesn't do anything for spasms.  I had  ALIF surgery ( L3-4,L4-5) in May, and the spasms aren't as frequent as they used to be, But I don't do much either!  My hot tub helps alot, but I'm not always able to do the tub when I have a spasm. So in other words, hell if I know what will help! Sometimes stretching will help me at the onset of a spasm, but when I'm in the middle of a full blown one, I just have to wait it out.
Let me know if you find the magic potion!
Have a great day!
Taunya
HI ! I will let you know what i find out going to doc this thursday. I fractured L1 and T11 i have big spasms in my left lower back muscles. Doc thinks i have some torn muscles in there. I have scoliosis from my fracture and the muscle is doing what the spine is suppose to be doing. I dont think i have pain as severe as you but i know what you are talking about. Thanks, swede
OWCH Swede,

The flexeril did the same to me as it does to TaunyaLee. I find the Valium does not do that, though it does make me drowsy.

And I do all the other things she does, heating pad also helps sometimes. But as she says sometimes I just have to wait it out or wait for the Valium to kick in, it really does help 98% with the spasms.

Good Luck, Tuck
Hi, f1swede.  My doctor recently suggested that I try Amrix as a muscle relaxer, and commented that Valium is addictive (and Amrix not), and that a side benefit of Amrix was that it would help with sleep.  I tried it for about ten days, and found that it resulted in an increase in daytime sleepiness.  This I can ill afford, as, like most commuters,  I`m reasonably sleep deprived anyway, at least during the week.  I also couldn't detect much impact on muscle relaxation, and so I stopped.  And boy, did I have withdrawal symptoms for about a week.  Bottom line:  BE CAREFUL WITH THESE!!! Good luck!  fpainestam
Flexeril is a VERY mild Muscle Relaxer and does not help most people.

The one that really helps is called  SOMA.  However, be sure to see the effects on you before you drive, etc...it is very strong and has sort of an "amnesia" effect.  Basically, it causes you to act drunk and very sleepy, muscles TOTALLY relaxed, and no drug Hangover.

Hope this helps!!
Soma works differently for everyone. Some ppl get hangovers and others don't. Soma makes me very tired the next day as does to my Mother. I never got the "drunk" effect, only the relaxation of the muscles and a very sleepy feeling. I know others that will not react at all to this medication. So I guess it depends on the person.
Thanks, Mollyrae
I take valium and somas for my back problems and also percocet
when I first started on Soma I'd get the "drunk" effect...talk and not make a lot of sense, trip over stuff, etc..I didn't drive for a few days...eventually those effects are gone.

Jim
Hi Beargizmo! How does the soma work out for you now. Is it just a side effect when you start up with the med when you get the drunk feeling?. Can a person  go to work and function on this med?. Thanks for any input, Swede
Yes, I function fine at work...occasionally drowsy or thirsty..and I think it helps mor than the pain meds I'm on..I take it 3x day..and find it very effective.  It's just a brief (few days at the most) side effect for most people...my wife and I called them the "goofy pills" because I'd get rather goofy on them...not any more.

Jim
magnesium tablets or powder is really good to,on in particular called muscleze ultra,I have bee on it now for nearly 3 months and its made the world of differnce.It takes 3 to 7 days to kick in usually but for me it was almost 2 weeks,and now i dont get those bad spasms in the middle of the night.So that at least on poison of my list!!
My Dad told me thre is a very new muscle relaxer out now. It just came out the very day my Dad went to the Dr and he got some samples and he said it works great! I will ask him the name again and post it. My dad was hurt on the job many many years ago and has tried every medication there is for pain management and if he says a medication is great then expect it to be just that.
I can't take them because they knock me righ out but he said this one has not even made him drowsy so I will be trying it too.
I'm not sure how pertinant this is because I don't know if your condition is anything like mine but I've got mild spastic cp. The spasms get really intense sometimes, I'm 32 years old and have been dealing with it since the day I was born. I don't take prescribed meds but here is what I've found works well:

1. Hot shower, about 20 minutes with the water as hot as you can stand it flowing (not pulsating) on the affected muscle while stretching or massaging the muscle.
2. Mineral Ice (topical analgesic), thankfully I cannot smell but it works wonders in a short period of time (buy OTC at Walmart, about $6 - $8 per jar)
3. A few Advil or Motrin, to take the edge off the pain (OTC, any drug store)
4. Hot compress / hot gel pack
5. Cold compress / cold gel pack, not sure how this works but on rare occasions it does
6. Lots of stretching, various types: ergonomic, yoga, tai chi, etc. Research them, believe it or not, they do actually help.
7. Soft massage
8. Deep Tissue massage
9. Chamomile Tea (non-caffienated), I am not kidding, It really can help. Maybe not completely help but it does take the edge off a bit. What I do is, get a 10-12oz large cup filled with about 50-75% of water, put in two tea bags and put in the microwave for 2 minutes. Watch it so it doesn't boil over. Let cool slightly then sip on it.
10. Joint manipulation, basically just poppin the joint/ligaments back into place. I recommend this only in extreme circumstances because it can and will damage the joint/ligaments if done wrong or too often and it does hurt like h*ll especially if you are not use to it and your joints/ligaments are still healthy and working properly.
I tried numerous times with heat or cold on my lower back with no effect. When the spasms were really bad i use to lay down on the bed ,after a few minutes it slowly went away. The problem i'm having now is the pain meds are not that effective anymore. Thanks, F1swede
Yes I've tried every thing too. I hear Soma is a good muscle relaxer too. Valium got a bad name because it has been abused. A few ruined it for the many. It is no more addictive than the narcotics we take for pain. Again it depends on how you use it. My PCP prescribed me 60 tablets a refill. Those 60 now last me about 5, almost 6 months. At first I had to take them more often because my muscles responded to pain by going into spams, indeed they were almost "programmed," if you will to going into a spasm when the pain increased. Once you reprogram your muscles they will not spasms as much. The reprogramming is done through medication and stretching exercises.

So I beleive Valium is a very good medication when taken properly, as is the case with most medications. We all have our own opinions based on our experiences. You can become dependant on almost any drug, including the so called no non-addictive ones. The key is to be cautious and take them only when needed and as prescribed. Again good luck. I will be watching for your updates.
Peace, Tuck