Pain Management Community
My Dr. gave me a mouth swab test!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

My Dr. gave me a mouth swab test!

Ok, I am going to break dOwn everything that happened at my dr.s appointment.(Please keep in mind I was out of my perscription 3 days early and doctor did not know this) I went in to see doctor and he did the usual rutine, left the room but came back with a cup and told me to pee in it, I couldn't go so he said ok well we can do a saliva swab test instead. I asked what for and was told to make sure there are no drugs in my system that shouldn't be and to make sure what I am perscribed is in my system, ok i took the swab and rubbed it around in my mouth handed it to the dr. He left the room and I was waiting for about 10 to 15 minutes( keep in mind I believe it was just random day for every1 there, not just me, I believe all other patients that day were being drug tested also)The dr. came back in the room,he never said anything about the drug test to me, just wrote me out my perscription pain med(percocet)and I left. ?#1. Was he waiting for the results from the swab test before he came back in. ?#2 Is it possible he could have givin me my percocet without seeing the results of my drug test first(me being unsure about how long results take for a swab test and if a doctor would have swab home testing kits and perform test right at place just like they do with the urine tests)... Thankyou every1 for taking the time to read and answer these Questions!!!
Not sure about the swab test.  I've really only heard of urine, blood and hair (with hair tests mostly used in court cases.)  Why did you run out of your script 3 days early?  Were you in withdrawal when you saw the doctor?  Have you run out early before?

I'm asking because if you're running out early due to addiction, you need to address that.  If you're running out early because your pain isn't properly controlled, you also need to address that.

You don't mention how much percocet you're taking or what your pain issue are.  One worry about taking more than you're prescribed is you may go over the limit of acetaminophen, which can cause liver damage.

Hope you'll keep us posted on the swab test.
It has nothign to do with that.  These tests are used to see how a person processes pain medication and to see if there is a better combination to use on a particular person.
This is what the doctor was doing

What is Pharmacogenetic Testing (PGT)?
A simple saliva test can evaluate an individual’s ability to metabolize or process drugs. Pain medications such as hydrocodone, oxycodone, diazepam and morphine utilize the CYP2D6 enzyme in order to metabolize the drug. As a drug gets metabolized, it is broken down into harmless pieces and eventually cleared. The activity of your clearance system is based on your genetic code. Once tested, this knowledge about an individual’s unique drug metabolizing system can help guide physicians.
expect a random drug test/pill count at least at some point if you take any controlled substance. You should not run out of your medication early. If you need to take more you need to call and follow the orders. percocets are a pretty serious controlled substance. if doctors test or do pill counts and some one ODs or pills are being sold, Drs don't want any part of it. they have to at least make it look like they are preventing drug abuse.

also i suggest trying to switch to just straight up oxycontin. percocet has tylenol in it. some people get enhanced pain killing effects when taking tylenol or an anti inflammatory with narcotics but the less drugs the better as long as you still feel how you want.
The OP, fortuner, posted this one message in Sept of 2012, and hasn't been heard of since.

PatchesNY is probably correct -- the cheek swab was probably to acquire a DNA sample for PGT.

One of the more famous lines from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar is:

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves."

Had Shakespeare written today, he could have been talking about genetics. Our ability to metabolize one or another other opioid-based analgesic is controlled by a specific groups of genes. The PGT looks for those genes and is a good predictor of efficacy using the various pain medications available to doctors.

This test has little to do with compliance, but will tell a smart pain doctor which opioid medications are right for you, and which aren't, based on your ability to produce of the specific CYP450 enzymes.