Pain Management Community
My P.M Dr. under investigation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

My P.M Dr. under investigation

My Dr. is under investigation by the State Health Board for sexual misconduct. The state came in and told all patients that they needed to leave. They shut down the office and proceeded to go through medical records. Nothing is like it was before the accusations occured. My question is if he is found to be guilty of the charges will he lose his priveleges to prescribe pain medication? I hope these allegations against him are not true, I just can't imagine him doing something like this but anything is possible. He is accused of having sex with a patient and also not checking a patients medical records before prescribing medication for detox. There is now a list of six women stating inappropreiate behavior by him. If anyone knows how the process works and what is likely to happen, please let me know. I don't know if I should be looking for another Dr.or just wait it out and see what happens. The state is now changing the way we are able to get our prescriptions, no longer from the pharmacy of our choice but through a mail order company. Pill counts are now given at every visit along with I.D. and medicine must be brought in at every visit and has to be exact count. I do take my meds. as prescribed by I have gotten them filled before and found out that I had been shorted by the pharmacy.
The decision to find another doctor is all up to you. If the doctor is found guilty of the charges you spoke of, then you will be needing a new one anyway! I'd be looking for a new doctor immediately. It's not in your best interest to "wait and see what happens". What potentially could happen is  no medication suddenly and suddenly be looking at a whole host of your own problems. The pharmacy "shorting" you pills is a very serious issue. I find it interesting and odd that every time I hear about pharmacies doing this (shorting pills) I never hear what the end result is. What did the pharmacy say and do about it?, what did the police do?, there's never any information ever given anywhere along those lines from anyone. It's always a narcotic that's shorted also. Interesting and odd.
I have had this happen to me a couple of times. I had the pharmacy call me at my home once and asked me to count my meds. They waited on the phone while I did this. One of the pharmacist had given out two many of the meds. She stated that this was not the first time that the other had either given more or less than prescribed. At that time she stated that there was nine people at that pharmacy getting this medication. The police are not involed with a prescription that is short. Once you leave there nothing can be done. A pharmacy called my husband once regarding his approximately two days after he got them filled. They asked him to count his also. Different pharmacy then mine, they informed him that he had been shorted by fourty of them. Thank goodness that they realized what happened and called so they could get this matter taken care of. He wouldn't have known this until he had gotten towards then end of them. It has only happened twice to me but that is two times too many. One of my prescriptions was not a narcotic, it was for benzo's. Only if prescription has been stolen do the police get called. So I should be looking for another Dr. to take over my pain medications.I have been with this Dr. for quite some time now. Hard to find one especially with the law that only p.m. doctors are allowed to prescribe narcotics here. If anyone has had anything like this happen to them or know what I should expect to happen with the state involved pls. let me know. I do not want to just be cut off without a Dr. to take over. Thank you for your help regarding this matter.
  Sorry, when I informed the pharmacy that my meds. were not counted properly I was told it was impossible. I didn't find out the count was not correct until I was towards the end of the prescription. I was five short on that one. This happened to me four years ago with one and two years ago with the other. I changed pharmacies and have not had a problem since then but I do know this can and does happen.
I know it's very difficult to think about finding different pain mangement physicians, especially one that you have a great relationship with.  But you definitely need to protect yourself.  I would most often think "innocent until proven guilty," however, if you wait until this plays out, you could be stuck with no physician & no medication.  Think about looking for a  team of providers, then if one is out of the office, there's someone else that will be there to see you or write your scripts.

I never count my pills, though I probably should. When you get large numbers of pills, it looks like a lot when it could be off by many.  Once there seemed to be a problem with my script.  The label print was one l20, but that number was crossed out & 80 was written in ink & initialed.  I never even checked it.  When I needed the refill, they tried to say  the entire script was filled.  My physician took care of it with the pharmacist.  There was one pharmacist @ one of the pharmacies in town that got fired because he was taking narcotics from the supply.  I only heard about it because I knew someone who worked there.  There was never anything about it in the paper or on the police blog.