Pain Management Community
My doctor won't call me back...:(

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

My doctor won't call me back...:(

I don't know where to start.  I don't want to take up a lot of space but I will start out by telling you a short bit about myself. I am 37 years old and I have chiari malformation and some heart related issues (if you want to call it that).  I am basically in pain 24/7 and I have had surgery for the head but it was 2 years ago.  I am worse than ever now.  Surgery is something again they are dancing around.  I have headaches that never go away...but I do take treximet and vicodin for the pain (i don't know what I would do without the treximet - it takes the edge of one of my 3 different types of headaches).  Okay well I have other pain related to all of this including my chest, neck, legs, and upper back area.  Long story short.  Anyway, my primary doctor is the one who does my pain management.  I called the other day to see if there was someone local he could recommend or send me to for a occipital nerve block.  This way I don't have to go all the way to cleveland for it.  See I would have to make 2 trips and I just can't do that, they can't get me in the same day as my other appointments.  I also called about my pain meds, that I need a refill.  He won't call back and won't call it in!  I am by no means an addict. I have taken myself off the pills and tried taking several iboprofen and several aleves to try and help - they only tear up my stomach.  I also just end up at the ER in tears!

So the thing is that he knows that I have this condition and knows about the MRI's and yet doesn't call me back about my refills - yes I have seen him recently.  I am getting worried that he will not do so.  This is unfortunate that I have to take them long term.  I just pray every single day that they will fix me so I feel better and I am able to do the things I used to do many years ago. It ***** not being able to do fun activities.  I know there are some things I will never be able to do bec of my condition - like go to amusement parks and stuff...but I have learned to live with that fact.  Anyway, I don't know what to do about the doctor situation.  Should I call again? I even did this thing where on the pharmacies website you can submit for a refill (even tho you don't have one) and they will call your doctor for you to get authorization - and well nothing yet.  It is the weekend and I don't want to end up in the ER for hours. I am laying in bed as it is.  Another thing is that I need to have this nerve block done and yet I don't get a call either way about it either. I am just not sure what to do.  You can read my other posts if you need further information about my conditions.

thanks for letting me vent.  
p.s. the amount of medication I take is the following:
toprol 1/2 to 1 (100mg) once
treximet 85mg 1 a day
excedrin tension headache 1 -2 day
vicodin - 1 - 2 per day as needed (again I try not to take but sometimes it is a huge mistake and I end up at the ER)
I am so sorry to hear about the predicament you are experiencing. Something must have upset your physician...if he is in his office. Are you sure he's in or not tied up with a few emergencies?

Keep calling. At the very least you have to right to know if he has dismissed you. Are you under a pain management type of contract? If so you may be forbidden to obtain opiates from any other source. You said you went to ER. Did they help you with a refill, or will they?

If you contacted a pharmacy that than contacts your physician he made have been upset by this....or suspicious.

I'm sorry that I do not have better options to offer you other than to keep calling your physician. I would tell them that at the least you want to know why he is refusing your calls. This may be a simple misunderstanding that needs to be cleared up.

If you are facing a weekend without pain management I see no other course of action but to see an ER Physician, that may or may not help you. I wish you the best of luck. Please let us know how you are doing.

Take Care,
Tuck
When you try contacting your doctor, next time, ask for your medical records.

It may get his attention, and you need to see what the doctor has written in your file to protect yourself if he decides to drop you. Make sure you add corrections to your file and, if you can visit the doctor, have him initial and date their being added to your file.

In the mean time, consider looking for a new doctor.

While this does nothing to help your pain, it may help your situation in the long run.
Hi:

I'm also sorry for your constant pain. You said that you just saw your Doctor...was it that you had enough pain medication. I'm wondering why you didn't ask for a refill then?

As Tuck suggested, maybe he wasn't pleased with your last visit. I don't know. If you're not getting good results from your current Doctor then it's time to look for a new one. I realize that it's easier said than done but they are out there and willing to help.

Have you thought about Pain Management? This might be to your advantage to seek out help with those type of Clinics.

You must request your Medical Records (wouldn't be a bad idea just to have them) and start the search. It's possible that your current Doctor has written something that would NOT benefit you in your search for a new Doctor.

Anyway, that's my suggestion. I hope that you find the help you need. Hang in there.

My best,
Mollyrae

They finally called my scripts in.  It took until just today though to find out about the occipital nerve block.  Now I have to go around and around about that but not with them. They got the ball rolling by giving me names of doctors and now I have to get a referral.  It will take a week to get that and more time to get in I guess. I need it done pretty soon to see if it works or not and before my cleveland appts. Thanks for your help and concerns :) :)
Thanks for the update. Goodness, what took them so long?  If they had pain you can beleive they would not go days without a pain reliever.

I am so blessed that my PCP calls my RX in on the day that I request them. She has partners that are aware of my condition that have agreed to write the scripts should she be absent. I hope you can work something like that our with your PCP.

I'll watch for your updates on the occipital nerve block and wish you the very best.

~Tuck