Pain Management Community
Myofascia pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Myofascia pain

Hi All

I was just wondering if anybody knows much about Myfascial pain.

It has been suggested to me that perhaps I have myofascial pain as well as sphincter of oddi dysfunction.

I only get upper abdominal pain both URQ (with nausea and the dark urine etc...symptomatic of SOD) but I also have like a tight band of excruciating upper abdominal pain daily, I have a keloid scar and a couple of trigger injections with local anaesthetic have been trialled. The first was super-effective, but the second barely helped at all. It is noted that I have a couple of trigger points when touched around my scar.....

Can Myofascial pain be caused by surgery? (my gallbladder was removed in Dec 09 - and this is when this muscle type pain started - the SOD is another story I think)

If you can offer some wisdom and advise I would be very grateful

thankyou for caring

Sarah
Hi Sarah,

Confused by a Myofascial Pain (MPS) diagnosis? .... So are many medical practitioners! I have seen this DX used in conjunction with and/or in place of CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and Fibromyalgia.  

This is one of the better explanations for the condition and  from a trusted site:
Begin Quote "Myofascial pain syndrome is defined by trigger points, which are felt as taut bands of muscle. The trigger points refer pain to other (nearby) locations in the body. When pressed, trigger points illicit a twitch response, also known as a “jump sign.” One of the main characteristics of myofascial pain syndrome is that the pain is regional, or confined to a limited area of the body. Generally, myofascial pain will be found in the shoulders, neck, arms, face, low back and/or legs. It is quite often a result of misaligned posture." End Quote

Trauma seems to be the main cause of MPS and doesn't usually include surgery. Indeed I can find no literate that lists surgery as a causation of MPS.... Obviously that doesn't mean I am correct.

I would wonder if some of your pain is due to adhesions/scar tissue. Physicians can be slow to admit this could be a factor and still others don't out much credence in that factor. I am far from an expert, it's just a thought.

I believe the important issues is not necessarily the exact diagnosis today but the treatment. Is your pain being controlled and managed? Life is fleeting and it's important to be as comfortable as possible.  

I don't know if I've offered you any "wisdom" but I always have an opinion! :o) ... and I hope my suggestions have been helpful or given you some food for thought. I wish you well and hope you'll keep in touch.

Take Care,
~Tuck
Hi Tuck

Thankyou for responding.

I am actually still battling for a diagnosis after nearly 2 years! The myofascial suggestion was by a friend on a group on facebook. And it sort of seemed to make sense.....

I have just recently seen a different surgeon, and he poo poohed the scar tissue/adhesion suggestion I gave.....he said that any sort of adhesions after a couple of years (I had a lap choly in Dec 09) would have soften/stretched by now and shouldn't be causing any pain! Im not convinced of this as I have thought about this sort of internal scarring being a major cause of pain.

But he is consulting with his colleagues about my possible sphincter of oddi dysfunction or similar biliary/liver disorder.....so Im hoping to get a referral to a liver/pancreas specialist!

As for managing my pain on a daily basis, my pain management team have put me on Gabapentin (Neurontin) a couple of weeks ago, and Im still waiting for any effect....but I'm still hopeful!

Thankyou for offering your "wisdom" LOL and caring enough to respond.

God Bless
Sarah
Thanks for sharing more information.

I respectfully disagree with your surgeon about the softening and stretching of adhesions in a few years. That's just my personal opinion based on my personal experience and the information I have been given by several specialist. I don't claim to be right and I hate to disagree with any physician. Certainly they know much more then I do, especially about your case in particular. So again this is just my personal opinion.

I am told that my scar tissue continues to produce problems years after their initial formation. That may just be my case and I certainly have much more adhesions then would be produced by a lap choly.

I hope the Gabapentin will be effective in controlling your symptoms. Don't be afraid to speak up, be assertive and ask to be able to live your life as comfortably as possible.

I"ll be interested to learn what you find out. Please keep in touch and active in our community.  As I recently told another poster, were all in the Chronic Pain journey together and support can be so beneficial. That's a bit more of my "wisdom." LOL  

Blessings to you also,
~Tuck

Hi Sarsi,
I have myofascial pain syndrome and it follows almost the exact description that Tuckamore quoted. It is possible to have pain from adhesions long after surgery but it is not to my knowledge myofascial pain. My sister in  law has had abdominal pain for years and it is due to adhesions. She also has nerve pain. She takes a drug like neurontin and an antidepressant and that seems to help. There are some newer drugs like neurontin such as Lyrica and others. I hope this helps. I am currently doing biofeedback, accupunture, Flexeril and an NSAID to lower my pain.
take care,
mkh9