Pain Management Community
Near traumatic amputation of right arm & guillian barre

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Hi - I had Guillian Barre in 1993 and then in 1997 I was in auto accident and had a  near traumatic amputation of my right arm - they were able to reimplant my arm.  But I have terriable hip pain and my right hand/arm hurts all the time.  I started going to a new pain dr. We moved from CA to OR and pain is MUCH worse in OR.  They tried the neurontin but it made me swell.  I am now on Lyrica - just started on Friday-  but had to beg for some 5mg Vicodin (I have to take at least 2 at a time to cut the pain).  Any thoughts?

Kind Regards
Deidre
Hello Deidre,

Welcome to MedHelps's Pain Management Forum. I am sorry to hear about your that you have Guillain-Barré syndrome and had a horrid MVA.

I too had a MVA some years ago that by all accounts was unsurvivable...but I obviously I did survive. There were many days I wish I hadn't. Among many other injuries my right leg was near severed to the bone in the groin area. My was repaired but because they thought I would not survive and had other more life threatening injuries they did not do the best of jobs with that repair. As time has passed my
pain(s) have increased. They missed some injuries.

I went years without pain managment....because in most of their opinions I should not have any severe pain...I should just learn to live with it. I assume you are hearing the same or similar.

I happened to find a Doctor of Osteopathy that uncovered the reason for the majority of my pain. She is my PCP and treats and prescribes opiates for me. In my opinion you have not found a physician that comprehends your pain. In my state it is not a PMP that follows or prescribes for chronic pain, it is our PCP. If your state has PM Clinics that prescribe narcotics I encourage you to request a referral to one. If it is your PCP than find one that understands what you are experiencing.

I do not call that doctor shopping. We hire these physicians to treat our needs. In my opinion they are service providers. If they do not provide the service that is to your liking and meets your needs than find one that will. Remember that we pay them, they are not doing us a favor by treating us. They do not hesitate to discharge a patient, especially one they deem non-compliant. We should and do have the same rights. Those are my thoughts.

It makes sense that with the weather change due to your relocation that your pain would be increased. I hope you will find a more understanding physician. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. We will look forward to your updates.

Peace,
Tuck

I had the onslaught of gbs 2002 got over worse but still in pain my feet feel like blocks of ice though they are warm  I need 3 to 4 coverings on them I have tried meditation telling myself they are not cold but the pain of my feet as thy 'defrost' is unbearable.  Walking on them is gritting teeth time. My right hand is  the same as just typing and writing is painful it is a fuzzy painful feeling,  so I am sorry I am one those that cannot survive without codeine phosphate and tramadol to get me through the the day