Pain Management Community
Neck Surgery (ACD&F) and RFL treatment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Neck Surgery (ACD&F) and RFL treatment

I am now 66 years old and have just had my last resort pain management procedure, Radio Frequency Lesioning/Ablation 3+ weeks ago.  I thought I would return to this forum not only to seek any possible medhelp updates, but to share my results in the hope of helping others. (If you have the time, you should search "lansur" - my user name - for previous posts - NO, MY SYMPTOMS ARE NOT PSYCHOSOMATIC, at least, I don't think so)  
[I]My brief history :  I had ACD&F - neck fusion - surgery for C5,6 and C6,7 in Jan and Oct of 2008.  Since then, my neck pain has doubled that of the pain before surgery and it has persisted ever since.  I have tried nearly all known pain remedies including, massage, physio, Reiko, acupuncture, nerve root blocks, cortisone injections etc and lately, as a last resort, I have had this RFL, called Radio Frequency Ablation in the US I believe.  I am told the relief could be immediate, or within 2 to 6 weeks.  And then likely only for two years until the nerve repairs itself.  So, I am approaching 4 weeks post-op and I have basically been flat on my back and always with ice, 22 hrs a day; and, of course, those sinister painkillers (oxycodone 5 mg. tabs, 8 to 12 times a day - I am sticking to 40 mg. since I don't need anymore problems) [/I]
I am scheduled to see my pain dr - an anesthesiologist - in 3 days time.  My pain is still worse than before my RFL treatment and I have only 2 weeks before the critical threshold of 6 weeks when my pain should be gone - or almost gone.
The question :confused: that goes through my mind, 'was the correct nerve lesioned, or was it missed?'  [COLOR="Sienna"][B]So if I may pass this (and another question) on to any who may read this post:
[LIST=1]
[/LIST]Has anyone had the RFL operation repeated in the event the proper (medial) nerve was 'missed'?
[LIST=2]
[/LIST]Is there any other possible relief - other than drugs and other pills - that has perhaps become available recently (now 2012)?[/B][/COLOR]  
Although I am a senior, before my neck surgeries I had just done 6 marathons from 2003 until my 2008 surgeries.  This is absolutely no way for anyone to live, let alone for anyone previously very active!!!  Any help at all would be greatly valued! Thanks for your time in reading this post.:dizzy:
Tags: RFL
Note to the editor:  Please replace my post with the following as I had tried to enter HTML tags :-( Thank you.
My brief history :  I had ACD&F - neck fusion - surgery for C5,6 and C6,7 in Jan and Oct of 2008.  Since then, my neck pain has doubled that of the pain before surgery and it has persisted ever since.  I have tried nearly all known pain remedies including, massage, physio, Reiko, acupuncture, nerve root blocks, cortisone injections etc and lately, as a last resort, I have had this RFL, called Radio Frequency Ablation in the US I believe.  I am told the relief could be immediate, or within 2 to 6 weeks.  And then likely only for two years until the nerve repairs itself.  So, I am approaching 4 weeks post-op and I have basically been flat on my back and always with ice, 22 hrs a day; and, of course, those sinister painkillers (oxycodone 5 mg. tabs, 8 to 12 times a day - I am sticking to 40 mg. since I don't need anymore problems)
The question :confused: that goes through my mind, 'was the correct nerve lesioned, or was it missed?'  So if I may pass this (and another question) on to any who may read this post:
Has anyone had the RFL operation repeated in the event the proper (medial) nerve was 'missed'?
Is there any other possible relief - other than drugs and other pills - that has perhaps become available recently (now 2012)?
Although I am a senior, before my neck surgeries I had just done 6 marathons from 2003 until my 2008 surgeries.  This is absolutely no way for anyone to live, let alone for anyone previously very active!!!  Any help at all would be greatly valued! Thanks for your time in reading this post and good luck to all other pain warriors!
Hello my fellow sufferers:  This may be repetitious, but I had C5-6 and C6-7 surgeries in Feb and Oct of 2008 and lastly in Oct, 2012 - C4-5.  I have had little relief and my pain rating has been forever at 7 out of 10.  I have had all the Rx remedies including nearly all the anti-depressants to no avail.  I've been on Oxycontin 20x5 mg daily (highest) and realizing this was way too high, I gradually, without MD's advice, reduced to 6 - 8 -10 max daily. This over the length of 3 months.  I found that the Oxy was doing little to abate the pain.  Like many of ;you, I was not even getting the "buzz" that many refer to.  I had an ultrasound of my R shoulder and there was a 1/4" tear to my tendon.  
1.  I would very much like to know how many other ACD&F surgery subjects have had rotator cuff injury and:
2. how many of same had shoulder surgery or how many of same had tendons repairing themseves.
Also, relating to my C4-C7 fusions, have any of those subjects had the pain resolve without (or with) other medications.
I am presently taking, along with a modest level of oxy, cipralex, arthrotex and doxapin which is being increased today to 20 from 10 mb capsules daily.
Question to all other pain sufferers:  Since my last surgery 1 year ago, my rotator cuff tendon "supraspinatus" tendon has been throbbing so that I can no longer sleep on either side without notable pain.  My pain dr. said he thought it was because  I was strapped down to the O.R. table (to immobilize my back).  In the process, they tightened the straps resulting in injuries to my rotator cuff.  (This is not confirmed but logical presumption.)  I have tried nearly every treatment there exists includint pt., acupuncture and RF Ablation.  PLEASE, ANYONE:  presently this 67 year old (used to be very fit having run 6 marathons in the last decade) is bedridden since it is the only relief I get from my upper back/neck pain is to lie down in bed.  It is NO WAY TO LIVE and I would be grateful if anyone can give any suggestions for resolution of my neck/back pain.  Thanks very much in advance.  GM