Pain Management Community
Neck pain after being choked

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Neck pain after being choked

I was attacked last night and was choked. I was able to get away but noticed pain in my neck especially when I swallow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I would go seek medical treatment.
I am so sorry this happened to you! I would go to the Er and have this checked out, it could be just from the strain on your neck being sore or you could have some damage that needs to be attended to. Did you report this to the police and have you been checked out by a medical professional? I would really advise you do as you could have some damage and need to be seen.
I hope your feeling better very soon and know we are all here for you:)
Whoa !!! be careful.....Could this happen again ?

If so get help or your neck pain would be the last of your worries..

Good Luck...
You most likley have swelling. Like others have stated, please go to the ER. I am very sorry this happened to you, it is very scary. I wish you well, Mollyrae
How very terrible. I am so sorry you had to expereince this terrifying incident. It sounds like you have some brusing that has caused swelling in the aera you were "chocked."  I have to agree with everyone else, please seek medical attention. Best Regards, Tuck
I was also thinking of the ...... for the life of me I can't think of the name of it but it is referred to as the box and its not the voice but it allows you to breath and swallow and if it is crushed or damaged it is very serious! I wish I could think of the name of it , starts with an H I believe. At any rate please get checked out very soon!
Sandee1818 is right, contact the police and get medical help NOW!  You should see a counselor or someone to help with the terror attacks.  Love and prayers to you sweetie!
I just want to thank everyone for your concern and immediate responses. I have just been trying to rest this injury out, but I will see a doctor tomorrow. I also put ice around my neck and kept drinking plenty of cold water. It seemed to help a little bit. Whatever the result may be I just want to wish everyone a blessed and safe day.
Sandee, Are you thinking of the pharynx( channel for both food & oxygen) which is the medical term for the throat? The larynex( voice box) and the trachea(windpipe) are all part of that structure. Any or all of those could have been injured during this attack.
And mrleo 101 your epiglottis could also have been injured. It is important is see your Doc soon. If you have any problems breathing or increased difficultly swallowing do not hesitate to seek immediate medical attention. Please take care and keep in touch. I hope you are feeling better soon. Tuck
I'm feeling better now. I just needed a few weeks to rest. Thank you all for your support.
Thank you so much for the update. I am very glad you are feeling better. So often someone will post and we never hear from them again. I for one actually "worry & wonder" how that person is doing. So I appreciate your latest post. Take care and if you have other or additional questions, need a little support or just an "ear" there are many forums here to help. Tuck
Hi I was just wondering what the outcome of ur injury was... I was just recenly choke last night by someone pulling and yanking me from the hood of my sweater. It was very short tho...i wasnt able to breath for about 10 seconds... But it did cause red marks... And now my neck is quite sore. Im swollowing and drinking fine and breathing fine... Did u ever go to the doctor and if so what did they tell you?
Rthomas826, the original poster has not posted anything since 2008, so I think that it is unlikely that you will get a response.

Can you start a new thread? You're more likely to get responses if you do.

I'm so sorry that you were attacked! Have you notified the police? Have you seen your doctor? I think that you should definitely call your doctor to make an appointment if you're able, or go to the emergency room. Please keep us updated.

Hugs,

Flower
Hi everyone I'm posting on here because everyone here is so sweet kind and helpful.
A mate of mine was attacked yesterday and this guy tried to strangle him with a material belt from behind but thank God i was there. He was strangled about 8 to 10 seconds before I intervened. Guy was arrested.  Now he is in bed resting. He does not want a doctor or anything so I'm respecting this. that's why I'm asking for some advice on here I'll try explain as much as I can. He is complaining about uncomfortable / pain just to the right of his Adam's apple  almost like there is something stuck there he said and it's uncomfortable when he swallows water solid food ect. But his breathing is fine just a little sore when he inhales.He said it feels very  similar to having tonsillitis. Would this be normal injury from someone who was strangled? Only thing I managed to find out is and I did not know was that the throat is made up of cartilage and that it is normal and cartilage in throat will heal itself. Can anyone confirm this or maybe explain a little more. Im just a little worried about my mate.

Thank you everyone
Quinton
Hi Quinton, cartilage doesn't have it's own blood supply so takes a lot longer to heal and throats take a very long time to heal as we're constantly using them. I was strangled 8 months ago and still have a lot of trouble with a sore throat. ENT specialist told me my vocal cords are fine and only treatment is not to talk, not easy to do! Your friend will need to be assessed by a doctor if symptoms persist but it seems that ENT are very limited in what they can do for strangulation victims.