Pain Management Community
Nerve Pain Relief/ Fentanyl Patch/Radiofrequency Ablation RFA

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I am new here and hoping to learn from others as well as to be able to be of assistance to others. I struggle daily  with chronic back, neck,(extensive bone spurring in neck not a candidate for surgery)  leg and head (chronic headaches and migraine)  pain. What has motivated me to write tonight is the chronic "nerve pain".  The nerves that go to my legs feel as though they are pinched in my hip joint. I have had radiofrequency ablation (RFA) 4 times. The pain always returns in about 6 mts, however this last RFA did not provide the level of relief asnthe previous three times. I aam wondering if RFA in the same location typically becomes less effective over time? I also would like to known if anyone else struggles w similar nerve type pain. Its electrical, shooting, pinching,hot b8urning pain if that makes sense to anyone. Also wondering what type of medications work the best for this type of pain and would love to hear others thoughts. Cymbalta took my pain away but gave me wicked nightmares -when on neurontin I gained 75lbs and when on Lyrica I slept through bout a year and a half of my life. (I have also been on several migraaine meds including Imitrex and Frova in addition to seizure meds like depakote and topamax and NSADS such as Indomethacin as well as others.
     I currently am on a fentanyl patch 50mcg,, flexerill 3x day 10mg ( percocet for breakthrough) pain but I find that the patch is not as effective as it was 3mts ago. Also I noticed I do not get the same relief  with the generic patch as the name brand duralgesic.  My life is controlled by my pain,  day1 of a new patch im useless on the couch all day until the 12-15th hour then I feel like I can do anything and am very active for the next 24-36 hours. Then back on the couch unable to move without pain for the last 24hrs of that patch and the next 12 or so for the next patch. I currently use the name brand Durlgesic 50mcg patch and change it every 72hours. Is this typical for those of you who use the fentanyl patches? I sometimes get  a little loopy and could fall asleep at the drop of a hat after hour 12-15 of a new patch and can feel that way for 24 hours. I am afraid if I increase dose I will be asleep all the time.

I am interested in anyone's experiences with what I refer to as nerve pain as well as interested in ways to relieve this type of pain. I am also interested in other people's experience with RFA as treatment for pain management as well as others experiences with fentanyl patches.