Pain Management Community
Nerve Pain in Lower Gum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Nerve Pain in Lower Gum

I may have trigeminal neuralgia in the mandibular branch.  Severe pain in the lower gum area but it is on both sides which has my PC doctor, my neurolgist, my pain management dr, my neurosurgeon and my accupuncturist all baffled.  Meanwhile, I am on Lyrica, which is becoming ineffective, Vicodin, which does not help much, and Ambien to knock me out at night to get some sleep.  Is anyone out there who has experienced such a problem that can head me in the right direction?  I am losing hope.  
Hello Hoogy and welcome to the Pain Forum:

Sorry to hear of the constant pain you are suffering with. I have done some research for you and have come up with and excellent information source. It really covers all aspects of your disease from traditional to non-traditional medicines. You can find it at:

http://mayoclinic.com/health/trigeminal-neuralgia

I would could have listed the info or even tried to copt it but the information was extensive so I listed the web site. I hope this helps you in finding relief from this horrible disorder. Please take care and good luck in finding a treatment that is right for you.
Mollyrae
Hello Hoogy,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum of MedHelp. I am glad you found us but very sorry to hear about your pain. We all know how very frustrating and life altering pain is to our lives. I am sorry that you have to experience that also.

Trigeminal neuralgia (TN) is the most common facial pain syndrome. It is often described as "the most terrible pain known to man".

TN is considered by the National Organization of Rare Diseases (NORD) to be a rare condition that affects approximately 1.7 million people in the US, though estimates vary widely. It is estimated in some studies that approximately 4 in 100,00 people develop TN each year in the United States. The average age of onset is between 50 and 70 years old, though it can be seen in younger people as well.

The two primary goals of treatment for TN include controlling the symptoms and treating the cause, if the cause can be identified. Treatments include, drug and surgical therapy and nerve blocks.

According to my research some physicians also recommend psychological counseling in order to minimize the disturbance that trigeminal neuralgia pain causes in their daily activities. Some ppl benefit from treatment at a PM Clinic where there is a multi-disciplinary approach to coping with pain.

Vicodin is not a very powerful pain reliever. I am surprised that given the severity of the pain caused by TN you are not on a stronger opiate.  Lyrica is usually an effective nerve pain medication. If you have not been to a PMP I highly recommend that you ask for a referral and get a complete work up through a PM Clinic. There are other approaches to the management of TN than what you are receiving.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. I will be looking forward to your updates. Hang in and don't give up. There are other options and hope for treatment. Take care, Tuck