Pain Management Community
Nerve block injections

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Nerve block injections

Has anyone had good success with nerve block injections
for back pain (arthritis)?

Is an epidural stronger than the cortisone injections?
I had some that lasted a few months, others, just a few days.  It depends a lot on how your own body responds to the procedure.

Don't loose hope if they don't last an extended period of time.  Nerve blocks can be an excellent diagnostic tool as well as provide pain releif.  If you get ANY relief at all, even if it does not last,at least the nerve root that is generating most of your pain can be isolated, and the next level of treatment considered.

I was able to have an RFA procedure done on the nerve roots that were isolated by epidural nerve blocks that didn't last very long, and one of my RFA's lasted for quite awhile.

Keep us abreast of how you react if you decide to have the procedure, and make sure you take advantage of any PT you can get while you are experiencing pain relief, it will help you body deal with the pain better if  it does come back.

GOOD LUCK :)
I've had nerve block injections for my neck.  I had the first one about 5 yrs. ago that lasted a little less than a yr.  Then I had a second one 4 yrs ago.  I have not had any major problems since then.  So, knock on wood it seems to have lasted up to nowl.
Thank you for your answer.
Hello GettingOlder,

There are success and failure stories with nerve blocks. I hope yours will be one of the successful ones.

In my opinion much depends on the skill of the practitioner just as much as your bodies response to the medication used. Often it takes several blocks to obtain the best results. So don't be discouraged if the first one does not seem to relieve your pain as much as you have hoped.

It's imparative that you follow post injection directions closely. Ir's the entire process that is important to the final outcome. Please let us know how this turns out for you. I'll lo forward to your updates.

Take Care,
~Tuck

GOOD LUCK :)