Pain Management Community
Neuropathy, Pinched Nerve, TOS, Something worse?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I'm 26 years old. Last April I had tendon release surgery preformed on my left wrist(DeQuarvain's) because of intense pain/burning in base of thumb seemingly brought on by repetative use of the thumb. After surgery I went to rehab and saw a hand specialist who while measuring range of motion and muscle quality in my left hand remarked that she believed the surgery would not tackle the real problem. The muscles in my left hand considerably weaker, and less sound than those in my right, and the weakness was throughout my hand not just those usually associated with Dequarvain's. I took this in stride and went back to my life finding considerable relief post surgery. Fast-forward to Feb. of this year. I began waking up again with numbness in ring and index fingers, I failed to mention that this was a symptom pre surgery and also that i had an EMG test pre surgery that was negative. This time along with numbness in my hand that would last well into the day I am also having very strong pain in my whole left arm. It feels like I have gone to the gym and lifted too much weight, or very similar to the "growing pains" I had as a child. The pain seems to begin in a knot between left shoulder blade and spine, down arm in tricep and bicep, elbow pain like tennis elbow, forearm and wrist pain. I have an urge to pop my joints from fingers to shoulder because it feels like it would give relief, but it doesn't actually help. My GP sent me for a MRI of thoracic and lumbar spine to look for bulging/herinated disc, that came back negative. the next week I went back in to try and get some relief and got a cortisone shot in elbow near ulnar nerve and a EMG appt.  Again the EMG came back negative but the pain persists. Now my index finger and thumb are twitching at rest nonstop. I have seen many post involving some of the same symptoms and many are waiting as I am for and answer. Any ideas, suggestions? Something to tell the Dr. who is great, but may not think of in the 45 min. I'm in office? Thankyou
when you had the cortezion shot did it help? you can have a nerve problem and it not show up on the emg..been there and done that..you need a referl to a nuerologist.( my opinion) only because they are the ones who deal with nerves..if the cortazon shot helped then you are on the right trac of where the nerve is the problem..I have the same problem in my neck all the way to my fingers two last and thumb and I to have not found the reason exsept that I have a goiter in my neck and I think thats where it originates from just dont have the doctors convinced..also I have nerve damage in the L4 L5 possible S1 nerve so I understand completely about nerve pain..do you have any swelling or change in color?
As far as swelling or change in color I have nothing visable, but my fingers,wrist, elbow, and shoulder do "feel' swollen internally. That is why I feel the need to "pop" my fingers ect. it seems as if I could only pop the joints it would relieve some of the pain and numbness. The cortisone shot did help, but only from the elbow down, behind my shoulder blade and bicep/tricep still had the intense soreness feeling. My Dr. and I discussed where I wanted the shot, and since the shoulder pain was not actually in the joint I opted for the elbow to give me the best relief to work, I work at a steel warehouse and have many tasks that result in lifting/holding my arms out in front of my body. The worst agitator seems to be running a saw where the controls are chest high and having to keep pressure on two buttons with the same hand, where my hand is spread as wide as i can reach because of the spacing of the buttons. Also I have had no trauma to my upper back only slight injury to lower back with negative x-ray/mri at the time. I do notice that the pain causes me to walk a different way, which in turn affects my left knee where i dislocated my kneecap several years ago. Could be that I have this backwards and that my knee causes the different walk and that is causing my upper body problems but I don't think that is the case. Thanks for your interest, I know I've responded with much more than what you asked about.
Hello and Welcome to the Pain Management Forum.

I agree with babyboy that you should consult a neurologist and I'll add that in my opinion it should be one associated with a large teaching facility.

I also suggest that you return to the hand specialist that told you the surgery would not take care of the issues. You're young to have these problems and now is the time to take care of them before they become chronic or disabling.

This may be related to the work you preform on a daily basis. Be sure to ask about it. If it is I respectfully suggest that this may not be the job for your hand....thus you. It sounds like you are over stressing the limb/hand and your body is rebelling. Listen to the signals.  

You could be on to something. When we change our gait, often unknowingly and in compensation for a weak or injured area it effects our entire body or at the least associated areas. A change in gait can cause your back to cry out in pain. This occurs  because you are changing the muscles or the way you use the muscles and supportive structures for ambulation.

I will be very interested to hear the results of your next appointment and wish you well.

Take Care,
~Tuck