Pain Management Community
Neurotransmitters and Pain management

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Neurotransmitters and Pain management

Does anyone know what main neurotransmitters help to manage pain?  I have read that the inhibitory transmitters glycine and GABA have something to do with it but what about Dopamine?
Have a Good Day
Tink
why would this info be helpful?
Hi Turk,

Your question is not completely clear. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that is naturally produced in the body. Dopamine is a chemical messenger. It cannot cross the blood-brain barrier on it's own. It is well know that Dopamine is connected with the pleasure systems in the brain among other things.

I don't beleive that it helps to manage true chronic pain although depression and anxiety can aggravate pain. A shortage or excess of these and similar neurotransmitters are thought to be responsible for emotional disorders like anxiety, depression, ADHD, social anxiety and mood disorder. Someone who has Parkinson’s disease lacks Dopamine.  

This question is best suited for the specialists. It takes years of education to have a good understand of how all these work together for proper functioning.

Tuck
There was a study done on pain neurotransmitters by a doctor in my area who researches specifically Fibromyalgia.  He uses Mirapex to block or work with the Dopamine transmitters. His name is Dr. Wood out of Renton Washington. You might look for the publication on pubnet.  It might answer your question fully.
TrayCee: Why WOULDNT it be?  If the nuerotransmitters are not functioning correctly in your brain then it causes all the things that Tuck mentioned.  Chronic pain is treated with antidepressants and narcotics and other stabilizing meds - SO that would be a good indication that if you can target the correct transmitter then you may beable to figure out what causes fibromyalgia.
Tuck: I'm aware of everything you mentioned - I will disagree with you on the "years of education" thing.  You would be surprised at how much some people know when it has affected them but obviously from the lack of posts - not many people with fibromyalgia do a lot of "medical/science" research as to the possible underlying causes for the problem.
Concerned: My doc just prescribed Mirapex for me.  And it helps a great deal.  It stimulates the D1, D2, D3 and D4 dopamine receptors.  It is an agonist and most especially hits the D4.  It really helps the pain but I'm not sure if that is because it relaxs me or if it is actually correcting a deficiency in the dopamine levels that is causing the fibro.  It also stimulates something that makes me dream vividly and sleep very lightly (of course, if you dream all night long - you are sleeping lightly!) I will check out Dr. Wood.  Im in WA, too.
Hi I have not filled my prescription for Mirapex, I might now after hearing from you. So it is helping you? I also disagree with Tuck on the years of education. Since 1992 I have been to so many specialists and doctors. I can pick 3 that know what they are talking about all the time.  Those 3 continue to study and learn constantly because they are so passionate.  Although I am not a medical professional however in my profession that sadly I had to retire from 6 years ago at age 42 I had to understand clinical trials, I talked daily with scientists, and I interacted with individuals at top pharmaceutical companies and even the Salk Institute.  I hired the people that work at these places.  Again not a medical person but a highly passionate, interested person who has been in pain for over 15 years.  I've had 7 surgeries on my spine, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia when nobody really knew what it was.  My knowledge base is pretty extensive.  I do my homework and have been my own advocate for over 15 years.  I also advocate and one reason for being on this site is to hopefully motivate others to do the same.  It's our bodies and our lives.  My cocktail of medication has been a joint venture between me and my pain management doctor and trust me I've been on everything you can name.  I can't tolerate most things.  I walk in to my doctors office some times in so much pain but usually always prepared.  
So that's my two cents for what it is worth.  The main reason for this forum is to share and disseminate all that we as a group have learned through the years.  Disagreements are normal and I myself was just censored today.  I don't feel my email was read correctly by the censor but I will be diligent in the future in my wording.  We all have so much to share and the problem is we don't.  I think Medhelp is great, I don't waste my time on websites but this is one my husband often ask "what are you doing."  
Thanks Tink70 I am going to try Mirapex.   I do have really intense dreams already so I might not want more I will let you know.
I have found that I can only take the Mirapex during an actual flare.  Otherwise it makes me anxious the next day.  I hope it works well for you.  It certainly does help with the RLS that my antipsychotic gives me!
Tink
Hi concerned - I was seeing Dr Wood before he moved. Have you found another doctor in the area?