Pain Management Community
New Doctor New Hope

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

New Doctor New Hope

I posted a couple of weeks ago about my negative urine tests for Vicodin. I appreciate all the feedback. I finally made the decision to change doctors and I found a Family Practitioner who is ceertified in Chronic Pain Management. On my first visit I told him the whole story about the parvovirus and the horrible joint pain and my two negative urine tests. I was upfront about everything. He gave me a full exam including range of motion, trigger points, things my  former MD never did. My new doc is sending me to a Rheumatologist for a full evaluation, and had no problem prescribing pain meds in the interim. All I've ever wanted was a diagnosis and if possible treatment for the joint problem so that I don't have to take pain meds. It feels so good to be listened to and not given the run around. I feel  liberated from the stigma of taking pain meds for real pain, and I will do whatever he requests of me- urine tests, med counts- as long as he's willing to work with me to solve the problem. I hope this gives other people hope. There are Docs out there who will listen to you, You just have to keep seeking until you find one.
Hi Again Ziggy,

How great to hear from you again...and you have sch wonderful news to share. Great information that should give all of us hope. You are so right, there are kind, compassionate and caring physicians out there. Sometimes the search can be longer then we hope. I am glad that your search is over.

I can share that feeling of relief with you....when you are finally believed...and someone cares enough to try to find an answer. It's such a load off your shoulders! One wonders why all physicians aren't kind, concerned and caring. Why do they even bother with all those many years of education and training ....if they are not a humanitarian?  

I would jump through hoops for my PCP, who is also my PMP. She is one in a million and when she told me she was leaving her practice for a Directorship in several months I was and am, sick at heart. No matter how hard I search I will never find another like her.

I am so very happy for you. Congratulations!! I am confident that your patient/doctor relationship will continue to go well. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. And of course I can't wait to hear what your new PCP uncovers as the reason for all your joint pain. I wish you the very best...and again thank you for the update.

Take Care,
~Tuck

Sorry this has taken so long to respond to. Things are going slowly. I got my records from my former MD and they are right out a fiction novel. He never once mentioned my joint pain, which I told him about at every visit, he noted that I wore full top dentures-wrong I have my own teeth. There was so much fiction in the record that I'm thinking of not giving them to my new MD. On top of that there were no lab or x-ray results. I have to get them directly from the hospital lab. I can't get a rheumatologist to see me without those lab results so I'm spinning my wheels. Luckily my new MD is still giving me pain meds so all is not bad.
Thanks for taking the time to write to me. It was nice to hear from you again. 8)
Hi Ziggy,

You are in a difficult situation. It's important to have accurate medical records. However if they are very bizarre it may be in your favor. It means either you were given the wrong records or their dictation was terribly poor and/or someone else's note(s) ended up in your file...and the list goes on.  This gives credence to your claim of inaccurate record keeping and handling if the urine tests were done in office.

Please let us know how this turns out for you.

My Best,
~Tuck