Pain Management Community
New Pain in my sides of my hips everytime I wake up!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

For about a year, I have been waking up with severe hip pain. I sleep on my sides and I wake up with the pain. It will hurt and throb for 1 to 3 days. I have to limp. I bought my mattress when In 2003 and I bought a $1,000.00 top of the line Simmons Beauty Rest. It's not as firm but its in good condition. I had to take a Vicodin it hurts that bad. What the hell?? I know a lot of it is muscular. I just don't know why this has been just coming and going for the last year! Any ideas?
Shell
Hi Shellbell,

I am sorry that your hip is hurting. I have had that periodically. It sounds like bursitis to me. The bursa in your hip is the largest bursa in your body.

A bursa is a closed fluid-filled sac that functions as a gliding surface to reduce friction between tissues of the body.  When the bursa becomes inflamed, the condition is known to as "bursitis." It is very painful. When mine acts up I have problems even putting weight on it. Now that is has been diagnosed I just go in for a steroid injection when it gets severe and I am good to go for some time.

I would make an appointment to see your PCP. There is really nothing you can do to make it better accept stay off it, try ice to the hip and take NSAID's as directed. Please let us know how you are doing. I will look forward to your update. Peace, Tuck
Hey Shell:

I would recommend that you make an appt. with your Doc. With all the proceedures you have endured over the last year, there might be something going on. You might try some NSAIDS along with the Vic and see if that helps. Also, try a heating pad but do make that appt.
Take care sweetie,
Molly
Did you ever try a tens unit? I definitely would make a visit to the doctor to check it out but these little machines are so effective. Ive used them for my pain for a while now and they totally reduce it. Obviously its important to find the root of these things and rid of it totally but sometimes it cant always be found and you end up being stuck on drugs for pain relief for years...investigate a tens unit for your pain; there are a few out there but after my research i found www.bodyclock.net was best value for money and lowest return rate.
Good Luck!