Pain Management Community
New drug called BUTRANS 7 day patch

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

New drug called BUTRANS 7 day patch

Has anyone tried this yet?  I have been using it for 6 days so far and my pain is under control for the most part!  Finally after trying every pill ever made for pain I got a winner (so far)!
Just want to know if anyone else is using this for pain and what they have to say about it.
I haven't ever heard of this patch,do you know if it is anything like fentanyl
Butrans is Subutex or Suboxone, which is normally used of opiate withdrawal and addition recovery. While it's an opioid, it's not like Fentnyl. Just doing a quick google search should answer any questions you have about it. The patch was just released in January so it's really new. The origin drug has only been around since the 80's and Subutex has only been around since 2002. So the drug itself is pretty new and there probably is not a lot of patient experience in the pain management spectrum about it versus the recovery and addiction side.
Hi Sharun,

I recently responded to a question about the Butran's Patch on our Forum. I went searching for it but couldn't locate it. However I did find this one. Here's the link:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Pain-Management/Chronic-Knee-Pain--Butrans-Patches/show/1539531

If I am able to locate the other one I will post it here for you also.

Atonicat is correct. Butrans is Suboxone. Subutex has an additional medication in it's compound but is very similar. Until recently this medication has been used mainly in withdrawal situations or in addiction treatment. Indeed their web-site (Suboxone) stated it was not recommended or intended for use in pain management.

It is an opiate... but is cancels out the effects of all other opiates. So if you required breakthrough medications they would not be effective. If you had a acute painful situation like a kidney stone no opiates could be used adequately to control your pain. At least that's my understanding.

It's my opinion that we will see more and more of this patch and/or medication in CP patients for a number of reasons... most of them having to due with the scare of opiate abuse. What matters for you is that it is effective. That's great news!

As Atonicat said there is a lot of information available when you goggle this drug. If you have additional questions please feel free to post them.

I wish you well and hope that you will be active in our community.

Take Care,
~Tuck
It is my understanding that Butrans is Subutex - not Suboxone.  The active ingredient in both is a partial opiate agonist, which means it doesn't quite fit the opiate receptors in the brain.  Close, but not a perfect fit.  Suboxone also contains an antagonist called naloxone, which is not included in the Butrans patch.  Naloxone is included in Suboxone as a deterrent to people crushing and injecting it.  In that case, the naloxone latches on to the opiate receptors, meaning any opiates a person takes won't do a thing because there are no receptors available.

Sub has a very long half-life which is why it's used for addiction therapy.  The idea is to adjust dose to the point that withdrawal isn't an issue and also to avoid the highs and lows experience with the drug of abuse.  Without the constant compulsion to fend off being dope-sick, the person can start to get his emotional house in order and then taper off the Sub.  

Suboxone has only been studied and FDA approved for a 21-day course of treatment but it appears that many doctors are using Sub like methadone - for maintenance rather than detox.  Check out the Substance Abuse forum sometime and you'll read plenty of stories about how horrible it is to taper off long-term Suboxone and Subutex.  It offers the same withdrawal symptoms only much more intense and it lasts a whole lot longer than full agonist opiates.  There are maybe two or three success stories that I've come across and none were on it more than a few months.

Suboxone and Subutex now have street value as well and are being abused just as much as any other mild-altering substance.  If an opiate naive person takes it, he'll experience a high.  It is a very potent synthetic narcotic so all the usual rules and cautions apply.

Suboxone is only supposed to be prescribed by doctors who have taken the government-approved seminar on its use.  It didn't take long for other doctors to discover a loophole in that law.  If they write "for pain" on the prescription, they can prescribe it for anyone.  That rule does not apply to the Butrans patch.  Lots of pain docs peddle the idea that Suboxone is not addicting and that is absolutely not true.  It is extremely addicting but the naloxone prevents a certain amount of abuse.  That's all.  Breakthrough meds won't work with Suboxone, but they will with Subutex or the Butrans patch.

Hope I didn't muddy the waters too much.  I just don't want people to think Suboxone, Subutex or Butrans are magic bullets in the pain management arsenal.  They carry the same problems as any opiate therapy where tolerance and addiction are concerned.
I was reading over all the posts about Subutex and wanted to tell everyone that I have had a wonderfully miraculous experience with this medicine.  I am not ready for BuTrans, but I hope to start it in the future.  Currenlty I am taking 1 or 2 of the 8 mg subutex daily.  This dose is huge compared to what is delivered through the BuTrans patch.  I encourage anyone who is "strung out" on pain pills or just can't get it together because of their pain pills to try BuTrans or subutex.  It may just change your life - and for the better.
Hi Everyone!  I want to share my experience with BuTrans patches, as I have just been using them for about a month.  They have been a true blessing for me.  I have had chronic pain from migraines and daily headaches for more than 20 years, and just recently was diagnosed with bulging disks at C5 and C6 with the pinched/inflammed nerves that comes with the bulging disks.  I had no idea I had a neck/spinal problem, and was treating the symptoms (awful daily headaches and migraines 15+ time per month) with everything from Lortab to Percocet to oral Diladud.  As with any pill user, the pain never really went away and I was taking more and more pills chasing the pain and hoping to "prevent" a migraine.  It never worked.  My neurologist sent me to Pain Management and I was started on the BuTrans 5 mcg patch, which helped but not 100%, for a month then was bumped to the 10 mcg patch a few weeks ago.  What a HUGE difference!  But in addition, I'm still prescribed Percocet 10/325 for breakthrough pain---and it DOES work with the patch, I can definately tell the difference when I add a Percocet.

For those of you out there who are doubting this patch, or are scared to try it because the websites say the opiate in the patch is so powerful, I really encourage you to give it a chance.  I have had NO side effects, and am not experiencing any of the fuzziness or sleepiness I did after taking a couple of Percocets for pain, before the medicine leveled out.  It's a nice, evenly distributed and continuous release of meds that gives no real high but is extremely effective for chronic pain.

I hope this helps even one of you reading this....because it has changed my life.

Having Hope in Las Vegas
Hi there...welcome to the boards...

Just FYI but this particular thread hasn't been active since July of last year...

It would be great to share your story and many more will read it if you copy/paste it to your own New thread...

That is great you are having such good results with this medication...That's the thing...we are all individuals and have different pain generators...even if they look identical on a MRI...

So what works for one...may not work for the other....however...that being said...I think it's ALWAYS helpful to hear good stories as the internet is filled with negative ones...So unfortuantely people get the wrong impression about a medicine or treatment based on the percentages of the negative...

Again..thanks for sharing and hope you put up a new thread for all to see..
Hi there!  I'm brand new to this blogging thing so I didn't even notice that the thread was so old.  I was searching for any discussion on the patch and other meds...and you're exactly right, I felt compelled to post a comment that was positive.  I'm going to try to copy and paste to a new thread now.

Thanks for the reply and hope you're having a low pain day :-)

Having Hope
I'm new on this drug too. No effect yet after 4 hours. I'm on the 30mg for my back!