New members can introduce themselves here....
We welcome new members here everyday and alot of times new members will sit back and observe and read awhile before posting. By introducing yourself it helps us members get to know you and also welcome you to our wonderful community we have.

We not only support each other with pain issues but with everyday life and how the pain effects it. We have all had days when just need to vent and express out feelings toward dealing with pain and how it effects every single aspect of out lives. So feel free to do this.

I know all of our wonderful members will make you the new members feel welcome and at home here. I myself consider my friends here my MedHelp family.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. We have many different features here including a pain tracker   http://www.medhelp.org/user_trackers/gallery/pain  that will help you keep track of your pain levels on a daily basis and you can even print it out to take to your Doctor's appointments to help them treat your pain.

We have health pages that will give you more information on pain and your medical treatments and so much more.
Med Help also has many more communities also - http://www.medhelp.org/forums/list

We all here look forward to getting to know you:)

Sandee1818 & Tuckamore
Your Community Leaders
Hello!

I'm a new member here! I'm Melissa, full time mum & carer of 2 gorgeous kids and a partner dealing with chronic pain. I've spent many weeks reading and re-reading the posts in this forum, just trying to understand what it's like to live with chronic pain so I can better help my partner.

I have SO many questions, so I finally joined. I've already received some lovely welcome messages (thank you!). I look forward to getting to know you all!

Melissa
Welcome Melissa,
   We are really glad to have you here and looking forward to getting to know you. We will answer any questions you have and help in any way we can. Your partner is very lucky to have someone so supportive and willing to learn about chronic pain. I applaud you for taking the initiative to do that and know your partner appreciates it very much:)
Wow Melissa! I think it is just amazing that you are putting such a great effort forth to be able to help and understand your partner! I wish that some of my family or friends would spend just even an hour on here...it would really open their eyes, and maybe have them think twice before putting their 2 cents in (especially when they have no idea what they are talking about!).  Chronic pain is such a monster, and I am so impressed that you are so involved.  Welcome to the forum! This forum is like a family...I trust some of the people on it more than family and friends...it is so comforting for me to know that someone knows how I feel, and that they do not doubt me or look negatively upon me.
I look forward to getting to know you:)
Love, Alison
I'm probably not considered a "newbie", as I've posted several times before, but I still wanted to take a minute to introduce myself to everyone and thank you all for all the wonderful advice, words of encouragement and thoughts that you've given me since I joined MH.

I've lived with chronic pain issues for about 15 years now.  I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, lupus, severe arthritis in EVERY joint/area of my body.  I also suffer from pretty severe asthma.  I'm 47 and have already had one shoulder replaced and am in need of having both of my knees done in the next couple of years.  Most recently I've been dealing with a back/hip problem that as of right now, my ortho has diagnosed as a bulging disc/trapped/pinched nerve.  I am having an MRI done on Wednesday and go back to her on Friday to get the results of that - one main reason I haven't been posting/commenting as much lately, as it makes the pain worse sitting, so I, unfortunately, have to limit my computer time :(

I totaly agree about how people who don't suffer with chronic pain just sipmly do not understand what we as CP patients go through on a daily basis.  As the saying goes (or somethign like this anyway) -- "until you've walked a mile in my shoes"......

Again, I just wanetd to say hi and once again, thank everyone here on MH for all the gret help/advice you've given me and others.
Thank you Geminigirl for the introduction. We are very glad to have you part of the community or family as I like to call it. I will be looking forward to hearing about your test results and hope they are good. I am sorry your having so much pain and hope that after the test results come in you will have some options as to treatments that may help your pain levels.

My name is Kat and I've been lurking here for a few weeks now. I'm happy to have found such a great, supportive community!

I have suffered with pain since I was a teen. I'm 32 now. I've had several surgeries for degenerated discs and have widespread pain that is worse when I do normal activities (like mow the lawn, play with the kids, weeding etc.) Some docs say I have fibro, but I haven't bought that yet. My mom has RA. I've been tested for RA and lupus and both are negative. I suspect I have some sort of auto-immune disease that they haven't found yet since I also have Ulcerative Colitis. To complicate things further, I was also recently diagnosed with Bi-polar II - for which I am aggresivly  treating with meds and psychotherapy, which brings me here.

I have long feared being a "pain patient". I've worked in a medical setting for most of my life and know how people are looked at and treated when they are on PM. So rather than treat my pain I have dealt with it for a long long time. On occasion I would get pain medications after a procedure or something and it was such bliss for a little while because I could ACCUALLY FUNCTION and enjoy my life. My therapist finally broke through to me recently and helped me realize that in order to get my life in balance I needed to address my pain issues and if that meant being on a PM program to have better quality of life then so be it. And that I needed to get over my anxiety of "being a PM patient". I finally went in a spilled my guts to my PCP, which was REALLY HARD. I told him about my daily pain that I was hiding. I told him everything through tears. He was so kind. He wrote me for some Vicodin 7.5's, twice a day and had me sign a contract. He referred me to a local PM doc, whom is strongly recommended by my therapist as being the best in town for listening and bedside manner. My appointment with him is coming up in a couple of weeks and in preparation for that I've been here reading about other people's experiences etc. so I know what to expect and what to ask.

I have a husband and two children to take care of and I can't tell you guys what a relief it's been to have some meds to take for now. I can play with the kids, grocery shop, cook dinner...all kinds of things that would "cost me with pain" before! I am excited to see what the PM doc says and see if he can help diagnose this pain once and for all!

Sorry so long. I look forward to getting to know you and being a part of your community!

Kat
Welcome Kat,
  We are so glad to have you here. I am glad that you spoke to your PCP and got some much needed relief. I do hope that you find the root of your pain soon and in the meantime have your pain treated. That is very important.
We look froward to getting to know you. We have such a supportive community here with some really great people who genuinely care.
Good luck with your appointment, we will look forward to hearing how it went;)
yes welcome kat, there does come a point when we need to reach out and go beyond what we've always thought of as taboo....we do deserve to function and enjoy life as much as possible and with no quilt....I hope you get you're pain under control to enable you to participate in some fun activities with you're children.
good luck with the PM appt.
I came to medhelp after I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  So much has happened since then (Christmas 2006) but I come today 2 years in a pain management program.  I have been on methadone (5mg tid) for bone pain related to chemo and idiopathic lymphedema in both legs.  Sprinkle in osterarthritis in many joints and when I'm in my bathrobe with my walking stick, I feel as though I bear a striking resemblance to Methuselah...without the beard of course!  The methadone has been a lifesaver, I also work with biofeedback and a psychologist to monitor the personal side of things and how they relate to my pain.  I'm so lucky to live near a major university hospital and get the kind of treatment I need.  I plan to post now about an issue I have and look forward to getting to know you.  Beanoville (Diane)
Welcome back Diane:)
          Were so glad to have you back and we look forward to hearing from you. Med Help is always here and I am glad that MH was able to help you when you were diagnosed with breast cancer. How are you doing? Are you in remission?
I am glad that you have found some relief with the Methadone. I am sure you do not even remotely resemble Methuselah. You are a strong person who has had alot to deal with and I am sure your as beautiful as you always were:)
Welcome back!
Thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate the warm welcome!
I found this website a few weeks ago through a friend on Facebook. I didn't know where to begin looking for support communities online for chronic pain. I'm 25 and both my mom and I are chronic pain patients. I've had chronic pain almost all of my life and have usually gone unmedicated because the doctors wouldn't listen to me. Fortunately, I have friends who are fairly understanding of the fact that I have limitations, but it doesn't remove the frustration. I've been labeled as having fibromyalgia, but it doesn't cover all my symptoms or explain why I'm prone to soft tissue injuries. I know that I may never get all the answers, but I have to try.
Kjoy85,
     Welcome to the community. Were very glad to have you here.
I am glad to see your not giving up on finding a DX.
Are you in pain management?
We look forward to hearing from you and getting to know you:)
I'm an oooold Med Help member (and no, I'm not saying HOW old!) and pop in and out of the pain forum depending on how I'm doing.  If you don't see me around I'm either laid out in bed or having a stretch of decent days.  If you see me posting a lot that means I'm feeling pretty crappy and trying to distract myself with other people's problems.

If anyone has pain due to abdmonal adhesions and bowel obstruction, give me a shout. About all I can offer in the way of real advice is smoothie recipes, but I'll do my best with anything else.  The list of surgeries I've had in my life is beginning to resemble an anatomy textbook.  Chances are fairly good that if you've had a surgery, you've found a partner in crime.  There's not much left to be removed or rearranged, so I'm hoping my 5 year surgical hiaitus will continue until I hit the morgue - whenever that day may be.  

On a more personal note, I find music to be an extremely effective distraction from pain.  I play handbells and sing in the choir at church and those few hours of rehearsal and worship are about the most pain-free hours I can claim in a given week.  I'm blessed to be able to participate so I'll keep it up as long I possibly can.  Looking forward to hearing from other members about their own coping and distraction techniques since meds can only do so much.  :-)
Sandee and Tuck........I just wanted to tell you 2 that you have some really wonderful members on this forum.  I had the pleasure of talking with a couple of them today who have brought to our attention on the SA forum that there was a lady on here who had an awesome journal about pregnancy and pain meds.  This will be a life saver to us when we get moms over on our side who have no where to turn.  Just thought you should know how much it is appreciated!!!          sara
Thank you very much Sara:)
I'm a new member.  I'm a single mom of 2 young boys and have been in pain for as long as i can remember.  Mostly lowerback but it has spread and i now feel it between my shoulder blades. I also suffer from sciatica and have numbness and burning all the way down my right leg.  Life is a nightmare right now.
Welcome Kayliegh,

We are glad that you joined us.

Feel free to make a separate "Question" post on the Forum.

I am sorry your life is a nightmare. Many of us have been here and know exactly what you are talking about. I too have terrible sciatica. No Fun!

I'll look forward to getting to know you better.

Peace,
~Tuck
Hi Kayliegh,
   Welcome! I know how difficult it is to take care of small children and be in pain and sometime wonder how you can care for them when you feel like you cant even take care of yourself because the pain takes over.
I have two girls that are now 7 and 8 years old and they keep me running. There are days I cant do the things I want to with them and they do understand to a point but I always feel guilty and feel like I am letting them down.
I look forward to getting to know you and hope we can help and offer support.

Hope to hear from you soon:)
Hi, im Edward

Male at Sydney, Australia. Currently still studying at university. My first time but i'll try and learn as fast as i can :)

Cheers,

Edward
I too am a pop in and out member, do alot of reading but not alot of posting...there are many on here Kayleigh and Edward that can give you so much help and good advice, so please stick with us.
Kayleigh I also suffer with nerve damage and severe sciatica, are you on any seizure meds for this? Gabapentin or Lyrica can be very helpful. I've taken gabapentin for many years....
best to you all old and new friends....♥
Hi Edward and welcome:)
We look forward to getting to know you and were so glad you joined us here in the community. We have some awesome people here and we can always use more:)

Hi Opus,
I haven't seen you here in awhile I hope your doing well:)
hello, brand new here, this is my first reading and seeing where everyone is coming from.  I think it doesn't matter WHAT causes your pain, its still pain.  
I had an industrial accident 8 years ago that lead to 2 surgeries, anterior fusion and posterior fusion on my L4-5 and S1-2.  I also have a bulging disc.  I believe something went wrong in my first surgery but getting those answers has been a nightmare.  I cannot walk without the use of forearm crutches and suffer from chronic pain on a daily basis.  I did the pain management thing and didn't like how it made me feel so I went off all meds and have been learning ways to control it without medications.  I am seeing a great dr at Cleveland Clinic in cleveland, ohio and she does have me on Gabapentin for the let spasms which keep me in crutches.  I am also in PT.  Through this entire process I have also been diagnosed with major depressive disorder and PTSD.  They go hand in hand.
More than you probably wanted to know but thought I would put it out there for anyone who can relate.  
God Bless you all in your daily struggles to be "normal".  xoxo
Lynne, nothing you want to share is more than we want to know.  It's always great to get to know new members.  We're all glad that you've joined us.

I guess I should introduce myself.  I am 28 and am currently pregnant with our 4th child.  This is our second marriage so this is our first together.  The baby was a surprise as I have been in PM since Aug 2008 and wanted to have surgery before I had any more children.  I wasn't even sure that I would have any more children and am a little apprehensive about the pain medication during pregnancy as well as worried about carrying around a baby in my arms for the next couple of years.
I have 2 known herniated discs and several buldging in my cervical vertebrae.  I am pretty sure I have some discs out of whack in my thorassic and lumbar, too, but I've never had that checked.  I have Degenerative Disc Disease at a young age and I've really been having back pain on and off for the past 14 years.  It became constant or chronic in 2008.  
I enjoy growing orchids and other exotic flowers and love my crazy cats.  I was a karaoke queen, but the nightlife is not really consistent with CP.  I enjoy beading and other crafty things, when I can.  I also like debating politics for fun, not for serious conversion of others.  I'm interested in alternative medicine and homeopathic remedies.  I hope to get this neck, shoulder, and arm pain under control some day and am looking into Artificial Disc Replacement.  I'm not going to go into my religious views, but I do love God.  I'm also a voracious reader and bibliomaniac (I love books).  
That's all I can think to share now.  I love this community and the members here.  It's a great way to learn about our conditions and pain management and it's a great distraction of pain as well.  I've really enjoyed getting to know the members here and I'm glad to have you all.
Hello Lynn,

It's great to meet you. I am sorry to hear about your struggle through chronic pain but every glad that you joined our wonderful community.

Don't hesitate to post on the forum. This our introduction area does not have as many  "viewers"  as an individual post will bring you.

The Cleveland Clinic is a great medical facility that this site has an affiliation with. I am sure that they will do well for you.

I'll be off most of this week but my partner, Sandee1818 will be here along with our informative and supportive members. You'll be in good hands.

I'm glad you joined us.

~Tuck

My name is Laurie, I has dx'd with fibromyalgia few months ago but I'd been in chronic pain for a long time and the fatigue was terrible. It took a long time for the doctors to find out what was going on. :(  I'm 31 years old and a full time university student.

I take anti-depressant for PTSD and for the fibromyalgia, I take lyrica, tramadol, supeudol, which is oxycodone.

I've been reading for a few days and you guys have giving me hope. :)

Hi! And welcome! We have a few things in common:) I'm slightly older @ 34, and I'm a chronic pain patient...I'm taking a few semesters off right now, but I was  full-time university student up until May of 2009 when I had major surgery, which left me with more problems than I started with! I hope to go back next January, since I was not able to register this fall because of a new medical problem I'm dealing with.  
What are your other chronic pain issues? I take anxiety meds as well as meds for my pain, and I know you must know how hard it is to do FT school with all the medications! It's hard to do an all-nighter studying for exams when you meds make you sleepy! I also have 3 kids and a husband who drives a truck on long hauls, so I am exhausted a lot of the time.  I look forward to talking with you more! Where do you go to school, and what are you studying? I cannot wait to go back....I was doing so well as a "mature student"...I was able to transfer some credits from my first go-around at university as a kid straight out of high school...and when I decided to go back, I knew I was much more ready this time! My grades were amazing compared to my younger days! And I LOVED school....enjoyed every second of it!
I'm so glad you found us...we are such a great place for support, and we are all like a big extended family!
Love, Alison
Hi Trelau,

Welcome. I am so glad that you found us. Feel free to post on the board where you will obtain better responses.

Hope...where would any of us be without hope. Sometimes it's fleeting and allusive in pain management. I am glad that we were able to reinstall yours.

I too have a DX of PTSD. I found that in time and with therapy mine has resolved. It comes back to haunt me in times of extreme emotional stress. However for the most part I am symptoms free. I hope that you will find the same to be true.

We'll look forward to your participation on our community. Alison is right...you've joined a big extended family, where everyone is welcome and pain is understood. Welcome.

Blessings,
~Tuck
Thank you all for the warm welcome! Nice to read through and read everyones stories.  When you think you are alone...you find you really are not.  
Thank you again!
We are so right. We are NOT alone. That was the most exciting and surprising fact that I discovered when I joined MedHelp.

Being able to share the challenges that the journey through chronic pain presents is priceless. I hope that you will feel free to share with us your challenges.

Welcome to our close knit, caring and supportive community.

Warmest Regards,
~Tuck
I am Quirkey and at presnt live in in Wallington but will be moving to south Croydon

quirkey
Welcome Quirkey,

I hope you will become an active member of our community.

Please feel free to post if you haven't done so. We'll be interested to learn more about you and the challenges that chronic pain presents in your life.

Good luck in your move.

My Best to You,
~Tuck
Hello Alison,

We have a lot in common. I'm sorry to hear about your chronic pain. I know how hard it is to deal with. I do not have kids but i love them to pieces.

I know too much about anxiety with the acute PTSD I've been suffering from for about 15 years. It's not easy to deal with it eh? I too take anxiety meds. I take a little bit of xanax as needed (0,5 mg I say a little bit because in the past I took higher doses)  and wellbutrin, effexor and topamax.

My pain is not under control and I suffer daily. Some days I just want to crawl into bed and disappear because of the intensity of the pain. Tramadol (300 mg a day) and oxycodone ( 7,5 mg every 4 hours).

My pain is still excruciating, I've been taking 10 mg every 4 hours instead (of oxycodone) and that's not better. I see my doctor on the 31st and I'll tell her, about the 10 mg, about the intensity of the pain and I guess we'll up the oxycodone. There is no PM doctor in my area, but my doctor is very good and comprehensive.

I did 3 semester in a row, fall, winter and summer and I'm on my first 2 weeks of real vacations in more than a year. The semester is starting on the 30th, I'm scared. It's really hard when you can't stay sit for more than 15 minutes because you are in agony but I'll have to do it for 3 hours, sometimes 6 hours a day...

My major is in theology :) oh and I'm in canada

Feel free to ask me anything
Hi Im Beth

Im  33  yrs old. I apologize that this will  be brief and might not flow well-started some  new meds and havent really slept in-this being 3 nights.
I've had several injuries in the last 3 years I am/was a professional horse trainer/rider/stable manager. I am most likely done with my career with horses.

My first injury was a herniated  c-4/5 and  c-5/6. had fusion at   c-5/6. I then around 6/2009  had my lower back go  bad L4/5 S1 which caused weakness pain and lost reflexes in my  left leg. tried the normal pt/ steroids, 2 epidurals then  broke my left leg and had a c rush injury basically knee down including  the foot Jan 2010. I was with a horse at  the vet clinic and while the horse was sedated it for some reason tipped over and landed on my  leg. I broke both tib/fib and several foot fractures and  obviously a bunch of  tears  and other soft tissue  trauma. I  developed RSD in that  leg as  well.

I have a pain  management dr that i really like but  he wanted me to  go to  a top  guy here in the dc  area to come  up  with a long   term opiate plan. I was taking percocet but its been a while  and I've gotten a bit tolerant. New Dr thinks I  developed fibromayalgia along  the way too.

So I've gone from being a professional athlete  to sittin on the couch. Oh I also lost my job-even though I got  hurt at work, and lost my house bc I got that through work.

I just  got married last summer(anniversary was  the 21st) and I feel really bad for my husband.-Im  not as  fun as I used to be! Luckily I dont have any kids but I have 2 dogs that keep me company and  also motivate me to  get some  exercise!

Thank you to  everyone for sharing on here-it  really  does help to get feedback  from people who have the same  experiences and emotions.

Im going to go look around the forum for some  medicine  advice-m new dr is pushing Suboxone as a pain management medicine and so far its making everything worse including giving me crippling migraines  which i havent had in a long  time.
Welcome Beth,

Your story is sadly familiar....like so many of us here that have been where you are or are still where you are. My heart goes out to you. I hope you'll post of the forum.

I've had to give up two careers that I dearly loved. I can relate.

We'll loo forward to hearing more from you on the forum.

Again Welcome,
~Tuck

Welcome both of you, Trelau and Rabadash.
I sent you both a personal message but also wanted to welcome you both and let you know we truly understand where your at and let you know we are here for you and support you:)
Hi everyone, I just joined medhelp today although I've been a longtime lurker. In a nutshell, i had had various cervical herniations and ddd and stenosis many years ago and only recently had surgery to correct cervical ruptures. I wish I could report that the surgery fixed me but I am in horrible pain now and not dealing with it very good. My GP recently sent me to a pain management center and I really liked the doctor and his assistant. Hope to get to know everyone here. Thanks
Hi Lindseylinn,
    Welcome to the community,were so glad to have you and look
forward to getting to know you too:)
Hi, I am Trish.  I have pain in my left upper back, from the spine to the shoulder, as well as sometimes with involvement of the neck.  It has been with me for 20 years.  I believe the injury may have originally been caused by a fall from a horse when I was a teen, but I do not know for sure.  

20 years ago, I was going to a chiropractor, for neck pain treatments and migraines. Well, he fixed that pretty much, but at the last session, while he was prodding my upper back, something 'snapped'.  I heard the sound and felt a small bit of pain.  For three days or so, it hurt, then went away for about a year.  Needless to say, I did not return to the chiropractor.

One day, while I was exercising, I twisted at the waist, and the pain came back.  It has never really left since then. I have gone to many medical doctors, as well as an  orthopedic specialist, who all ignored the back problem and talked about my neck instead.  Most of the family doctors have done little.  I have been on naproxen, on Flexeril and that's it. Neither helped very much.

I have been to another chiropractor, who did order an x-ray.  He said something about deterioration of the spine and told me I must come for treatments for a long time.   My whole upper body had started to twist a bit, as I tensed up from the pain and he said he could fix that. Well, I did go three times weekly for about six months.  The pain was worse after the treatments, would get better, then it was time for another treatment! It did help with the bad posture and twisted upper body.

I stopped going and started exercising, mostly gentle stretching and that sort of thing. I  now use a treadmill as walking does seem to help too.

I would say that the pain is likely nowhere near as bad as some of you experience, but with such a long lasting injury I can really sympathize with the members here.

At this point, I take 500 mg aspirin or Tylenol or Aleve three to four nights a week, in order to sleep.  This is a big improvement over the early years, when nothing helped. Or should I say, when the doctors didn't seem to know what to do for me.
I often use a heat pack or a massager on my neck and back and that does help somewhat as well.

Some days are much better than others.  I gave up on finding any lasting relief a long time ago.

Thanks for letting me tell my story.

Welcome Goldenmead and Lindsaylinn,

We are glad to have you as a members. Please feel free to post your stories on the forum. Many of our members do not read the welcome area.  

I am sorry to hear about your chronic pain issues. We can relate.

We will look forward to your participation.

~Tuck
Hi Trish and welcome.
I too have been dealing with CP for twenty or so years. I hate telling anyone that because it makes me sound so old, Lol. I am only 45 and sometimes I feel like I am 90!
I know it is so frustrating for you to deal with this pain and have no relief. Do not give up though there are some really great PM Doctor's that will keep looking for an answer.
I have always been afraid of the chiropractor because I am scared he will make my pain worse with all the cracking and pulling. As you know you do have to be very careful choosing one because they can cause more harm if they do not know what they are doing.
I am looking forward to getting to know you and am so glad to have you here, we all are:)
ty for the warm welcomes sandee and tuck :) welcome trish!
Hi Tuck and sandee, thanks for the comments and the welcome!
i've been going to pain management doctors for 8+ years because of intense chronic pain. i hate having to take pain medication, but i am so incredibly addicted now it's unREAL. i want to get off of everything but the pain is so intense i'd hafta be bedridden for the rest of my life. it's a viscious circle. and i'm constantly runnin out of medication early because my tolerance keeps going up and up and doctors don't seem to understand this -- ack!
Hi Carylanne,

I've read your profile page and you other post. I am so sorry for what you are going through....now and the past eight years. It does sound like you are in a vicious cycle. Have you searched for options? Do you have a pain management therapist? Their insight and guidance can be beneficial?  

I too was in a horrific MVA. My injuries should have taken my life by all accounts. I have kept going in spite of being told I couldn't. My pain is also very intense. I think with the right support and guidance you may be able to have a better life. Please don't settle for less than what you can have.

You physicians do not want you taking more than prescribed and that is why it appears that they so not understand. You are dangerously close to lethal doses of opiates. I am very concerned for you. I see that you have also been on the SA Forum. They may also be able to guide you in the right direction. Please don't be content with the vicious cycle. Find someone that will be able to stop the merry-go-round.

My best to you.
~Tuck
I already posted but I thought I should introduce myself since I hope to stick around.

I'm "Ashe" and I'm a chronic pain sufferer; I've had debhilitating migraine/tension/sinus/cluster/hormonal headaches all my life. Ever since I can remember as a child, they've been a part of my life. They got slowly worse as I got older until they began seriously interruping my life in college. In high school I would miss a few days a month, in college I began missing school several days a WEEK. I was treated with VERY strong narcotics (lortab 10 up to 6x a day, and MS contin 15mg 3x a day, and they gave me Xanax .5 up to 3x a day but I stopped with those because they gave me headaches even though they helped with the tension)...but because I was so young, I voluntarily came off of the strong drugs and tried therapies with lower dose painkillers.

During and after the birth of my daughter my headaches were mild and manageable, but a few months after she was born they got worse again...and then during the pregnancy with my son my headaches worsened and worsened until I was finally induced at 39wks for a combination of neurological complications due to the migraines (blindness lasting nearly all day every day, fainting, numbness in my arms, neck, and face) and fainting from my heart condition. After the delivery the migraines became even worse and have been daily for the last 7wks (my son is 7wks old :) ). I've been having a little trouble with my neurologist because he would "prefer" that I'm not taking the narcotics all the time....well, so would I! but it causes him to under-prescribe IMO and can leave me in the lurch at the worst times.

Currently I'm trying different triptans, beta-blockers and using narcotics as rescue meds. Usually Norco 5mg-10mg.

I'm 25, married, and I have a 2-year-old daughter and a 7-wk-old son. I'm a stay-at-home mom and freelance writer/editor. I have tried every headache treatment under the sun and had every test done under the sun as well, so if you suffer from headaches and would like to ask me a question about a certain treatment I would be more than happy to answer...or if you just want someone to commiserate with.

I look forward to getting and giving support!
also: I'm contacting my OB soon to ask to be referred to a pain management specialist, and I'm hopeful that it will turn a corner and open up new treatment options for me that will make my treatment less uncertain and more reliable.
Welcome, Ashelen!  I know I've already commented on your post, but I wanted to give you the official Welcome.  
I'm so sorry that you have been having such terrible headaches non-stop for so long.  I really can't imagine.  Having neck and base-of-head pain is bad enough, but I'm sure the migraines are nearly debilitating for you.
I hope you are able to get into PM and I also hope you find a treatment that works well so you can live your life without constant pain.  
I'm glad you've joined us and jumped right in!
Hi Ashelen,
  Welcome to the PM community. I am sorry your going through so much at a time in your life when you should be enjoying your new baby and your two year old. I think you will find that a PMP will give you much more in the way of pain relief and more options. I hope you do get a referral as the PMP is the specialist when it comes to pain control and they are much more educated on the disease and how it effects our lives as a whole. There is much more to PM than just taking pills. I would encourage you to see a pain psychologist if possible. I thought it was a silly idea until I seen one and it helped so much!
Being a Mom to such small children and dealing with CP is hard. We not only deal with the pain but the guilty feelings of not being able to be the super Mom we want to be.
I focus on doing what I can and making the best of that time.
Just having someone who understands what we go thru on a daily basis helps so much. Also getting treatment without judgment is important.
I wish you the best and look forward to getting to know you:)
Hi everyone, I'm Greg and I just signed on to the site. I'm 60 years old and have been a chronic pain patient since 3/21/69 due to injuries received in Vietnam during Operation Wayne Grey. I was shot in the jaw,chest and thigh then had a grenade go off close by. I lost my right ear,half my right lung,spleen most of my right foot and messed my spinal column up very badly.Pain Management has evolved a whole lot since 1970.I checked this site out for a while and it seems to be one of the only legit sites on the web i.e. no drug deals or basically talking about how to abuse medications.I live in Boca Raton FL with my wife Sarah and cat Waffles and dog Bailey.We live a quiet life on the beach. I enjoy reading mystery books,watching movies. My wife is a web designer and I work part-time as a maintenance tech at a condominium.That's me and my life in a nutshell.So,hi everyone.   Greg
Welcome to the pain management forum! This is definitely a great place to be, as we are all chronic pain sufferers (not doctors) and help each other out with support and advice as we all go through our struggles with our medical issues.  Wow! Your injuries sound just awful! I look forward to getting to know you....there are a lot of great people on this forum...we are like a big family:)
Welcome again:)
Welcome Greg:)
I am glad you found the PM community.
You have had to deal with some very serious pain issues and injuries and I for one want to thank you for your bravery and honor in serving our Country. It is people like you who make America what it is and protect our freedom and we simply can not thank you enough.
I am looking forward to getting to know you and we are so glad you joined the community:)

We try very hard here not to allow the community to become one of the many sites where it is simply about how to abuse and get narcotics.
There are so many of those around the Internet already.
We support each other and offer advice to others who are where we were at one time and help those who we can with our experiences.
my name is Mary just wanted to say hello and hope this site can help me
i have had chronic pain my Dr is tying to wean me off hydrocodone,and has
put me on neurontin i have had a hard time weaning off the hydro but i think ill make it
i'm to go to a pain management clinic what i don.t understand why she took me off the
hydro when pain management will give me the same thing opiates help but if you don't have them you will hurt so bad.
Hi. My name is Heather and I am 35 years old. Like quite a few people I have seen on here I have PTSD. My symptoms have mostly gotten under control except during times of extreme emotional stress and an occasional panic attack. All my life that I can remember I have felt widespread pain like I have been beaten black and blue. There are places where I can't tolerate even the gentlest touch- places on my neck, shoulders, by my elbows, ribs, hips, lower back and near my knees to name the worst spots. I've had small injuries to my lower back over the years, but always managed to "suck it up" and just keep going.

Well this year back in June I decided to steam clean the area rug in the living room. It isn't like I haven't done it before and this time, as before, my back started hurting fairly significantly. The difference this time was after I sat down to take a break I was unable to stand straight. That was on a Friday. That Monday I went to a chiropractor at my fiance's urging. His mom actually has been paying for all my visits because I have no insurance. The xrays showed a compressed disc at L4-L5. I started going 3x a week and the adjustments seemed to be helping. Then I hurt myself transferring someone from bed to wheelchair. After that the adjustments and combo therapy (electrical stim and ultrasound) were no longer helping. They said I needed to get an MRI, so I did. It showed degeneration of the facet joints from L2-L3 to L5-S1 and that the disc at L4-L5 had a broad base bulge and was impinging bilaterally on the nerves. The doctor also said he firmly believes I have fibromyalgia.

I got my first epidural a few weeks ago and it didn't do much of anything. I still had pain going down the backs, sides and front of my legs and my activities are still severely limited. The only thing it did was slightly reduce the amount of pain down the backs of my legs. Tuesday I had my second caudal epidural. I actually ended up finding this forum because of that. The first epidural I didn't feel at all apart from the initial needle stick. The second one HURT the whole time. I was death gripping the table. This was despite the PM doctor saying he put more local anesthetic than before. I hope this means he got the medicine in the right place?

I followed up with the chiro today and he said it is too early to tell, but if this epidural doesn't work we are down to surgery. I don't want surgery and without insurance it really isn't an option. I haven't been able to work, I can't sit, stand or walk for any amount of time. I am getting married January 8th and I am just hoping that this will be more controlled by then.

I did ask the PM doctor for pain meds because sleep has been nearly impossible. He prescribed lortab 7.5 every 6 hours as needed, but only 30 pills with no refills. I have in the past always been extremely sensitive to the effects of any medicine that can cause drowsiness, but even taking the lortab before bed I never got to sleep till 7 am this morning and then had to get up at 9:30. I also take methocarbamol 500 mg x 2 when muscle spasms hit.

Sorry this is so long. I have really been battling feeling like a burden to my fiancé both financially and around the house. I feel like I have slammed into a brick wall and my pain level is just not something I can suck up anymore. I just need a place where I don't feel so alone. My fiancé is great about everything falling on him, but some stuff I just can't talk to him about because he ends up feeling bad because he can't "fix" it. 
Hello Mary,

Please forgive my tardy welcome in this thread. I hope you will feel free to post your concerns and questions on the board.

Briefly I too don't understand why our PCP is weaning you off opiates and still sending you to a PMP. However the PMP may prescribe something totally different from the hydrocodone. It will be interesting to hear how your appointment goes.

Again please feel free to post on the board. Our members are very informational and supportive.

Welcome,
~Tuck
Hello Heather,

Welcome to our Pain Management Community. I am sorry to hear about your struggle with pain and the fact that you have no insurance.

I encourage you to post on the board also. Often this "welcome thread" is not read by our members. If you wish answers or responses your best bet will be an individual post.

I so hope this all works out for you. I'll look forward to your posts on our board.

Welcome,
~Tuck
Hello new here. Low back pain since 2002 after a fall on wet concrete stairs at an auditorium. MRI in 2005 confirmed 4 ruptered disks with a torn annulus. Pain doctor in 2007 diagnosed sacroiliac sydrome. Chiropracter confirmed in 2008 severely tilted (one side up and forward, other side down and back) pelvis, that refuses to stay in place for even a few minutes after adjustments. General Anxiety Disorder diagnosed 5 times in last 30 years, (runs in family). Normal for me to have abnormal EKG's and high BP, sometimes controlled sometimes not, since age 16. High cholesterol. Intolerant of certain medications, especially anti-depressants and statins, and some BP meds. Hives off and on, attributed to anxiety.

I've had at least a dozen epidurals, sacroiliac injections, facet joint injections, a facet joint ablation, and dozens of trigger point injections. Have done PT 3 times, Chiropracters twice, and Psychiatrist for 4 years, as well as 2 Psychologists who all tell me I'm great and deal with it all just fine as long as I take my low-dose Klonopin and Lortabs. Unfortunately, my Psychiatrist has now moved far away, or I would still see him, as he is a great man and I miss him much.

I've done really well the last 2 years on my meds and adjusted to it all, until now. Suddenly I am faced with 3 false negative drug screens that do not show my meds and has me very bewildered and frightened, as I am likely to be cut off both of my meds very soon.

I look forward to being a member of this forum. Thanks.
I'm a newbe at this, but what I've seen so far I think this place is very helpful to many people. I myself have been a pain patient for over 27 yrs, a chronic pain patient for the last 9. An MVA 6 months post op from back surgery left caused severe neck damage added to the already permanent back damage. I know what a pin cushion feels like. I lost count somewhere around 60 with the nerve blocks, and Rhizotomys, discectomys, physical therapy, and alternative treatments. I became opened minded to anything that would relieve pain with minimal side effects. Headaches took days out of my week, so I learned to manage that area also. I hope the people here are just straight forwarded, honest as possible, and have a little sense of humor, it goes a long way now a days.
Welcome mdstellar and Mopar440!  We are glad you found us!  
Mopar- My husband is also a mopar man.  He has a Dodge Ram all souped up.  (Although I drive it usually because my Explorer gets much better gas mileage and he drives a lot.
mdstellar-  I'm so sorry to hear about the false negatives!  It's unfortunately more common than most of us realize.  I hope you are able to get everything straightened out there.

The forum has been a little slow lately as a lot of people have had a lot going on with school starting again and surgeries.  It should pick up soon.
Oops, I posted mine as a new question.  I haven't figured out how to use these forums yet!  Oh well, I would delete or move it if I could.  Sigh!
i am new here and my name is leah and i am 25 years old and i suffer in chronic pain i have a diease callled emdometriosis,fibro,PTSD and so many other things that are cauing my chronic pain if you want to know more about me you can ask me i also have trouble with my knees and my hips
Hello Mdmstellar, Mopar, Happybmom and Chronicpainsuffer. As one of the community leaders on this forum I would like to welcome you to the Pain Management Forum. I am a bit tardy as I have not been on the board as much the past few days. I have an ill mom.

You need not post your information here...just a small introduction is fine. Happybmom you did well by posting in question form. That is exactly how you can do it. Actually you will obtain better responses in the manner. Not all of our members read the introductions on this particular thread.

So please don't worry how you chose to introduce yourselves..... We all still welcome you to our community. :o)

~Tuck
I'm having chronic pain due to total gastrectomy & esophageojeujuostomy and wonder if traditional oral pain meds, i.e., Lortab etc., work the same. I'm under pain management but just don't seem to get enough relief and doc says he's not sure if I can process it the same.
Hi, everyone--

I'm a 26-year-old woman living in New York City and have been suffering with chronic knee pain due to an injury nearly six years ago. I've had two surgeries thus far, numerous cortisone injections, epidural steroid injections, spinal nerve blocks, etc. etc. and nothing has helped. Doctors don't know why I still have such severe pain and constant swelling, as my tests all come back "clean enough" (they always show lots of "minor" things, but according to docs, nothing that explains my pain). They want to do an exploratory surgery but I just don't think I can handle another fruitless operation. I've tried medication, alternative medicine, all the above procedures, and nada. I've asked my doctor's about a knee replacement, but no one will do it because I'm "too young," despite my knee basically being that of an elderly woman.

It's very difficult, as I'm sure you all know, to live in pain all day every day. I used to be an incredibly active and athletic person but since my injury, can't do much at all. Once and a while I am able to yoga, but that just started happening in the past four months. Usually after a couple sessions though, I can't do it for another few weeks because it hurts too much. It's so hard to cope with the massive lifestyle changes I've had to undergo after my initial injury (medial tibial plateau fracture, strained ligaments, sprained muscles, meniscal tear, etc. etc.). Even after six years I still can't deal with it as well as I would like and I don't really know how to even begin truly accepting that I will be living in pain the rest of my life with no real reason as to why or way to relieve it.

Any suggestions or advice anyone may have is always welcome. I've never joined anything like this before so I'm not really sure what I'm doing haha

~Danielle
Welcome to the PM forum, tummyache1018 and DanielleRose731!  You are both in good company here.  I'm so sorry you both are having to deal with chronic pain, though.  
You may want to post a "New Question" in the forum to get more responses.  Not many of the members read the "Welcome" thread regularly and find it easier to respond to individual posts.  
We are very glad you've joined us, though, and hope you'll feel free to just jump right in with answering questions and asking any you may have.
I should also mention that the forum has been a little slow recently with school starting and some members being out for various reasons, but it will pick up again soon.
:)
Hello, new to PM forum. I am working up the courage to tell my story, I am afraid of being judged. I hate that I ever started taking pain meds but they improved my day to day function so much that I could not imagine going back to where I had been. Anyway I will post my story and questions later. Blessings to you and yours.
Hello Tummyache, Danielle, Devon and Grace,

I'd like to welcome you all to our Pain Management Forum. I am very glad that you all have joined our supportive, informational and caring community.

If you have specific questions or concerns regarding issues related to your chronic pain please post them on the board. The majority of our members do not respond to this thread. We are anxious to address your concerns so please help our general membership by posting individual questions.

Thank you so much and again Welcome,
~Tuck
Hi, I am new here and found this site tonight. I got hurt 6 years ago at work and they found a bulging/ruptured disc. After a year of being on pain meds, I decided to have surgery. Worst idea ever! The 1st surgery went ok, but after the 3rd day, I was in so much pain, I went to Er where they kept me for 10 days. After being there 5 days, they did a MRI and it showed there was a bone in there so my dr did surgery again and I went home again. I would go walk every morn like I was told to do just like after the 1st surgery and well, by the 5th day again, I was in so much pain, well this time they didn't keep me, they gave me a shot of something n it helped some n sent me home. I went to dr appt and he said it would get better. The first surgery was in June, I had an infection where he went in twice until the end of Nov, early Dec n it only cleared after having to spend another weekend in the hospital using IV antibiotics. Well, I have been n pain since and I went to an appt about 6 months after my surgeries and the dr told me there was nothing more he could do for me and that was it. He found me a pain dr while in hospital for the weekend and washed his hands of me. We have tried many different combinations of meds to no avail. I am currently on morphine pills. 10mg every 8 hours, they changed it from fentynal patches because I couldn't concentrate enough to get a job sooo that's the beginning of my story and I am so really tired of being on these pain meds that I just want to quit but I hurt so bad now so how much pain will I be in once I get off of them?  I am also on Baclofen, an non narcotic muscle spasm med, mobic for muscle spasms, and Lyrica for the nerve problems I have been having. I have asked for all non narcotic pills thinking they wouldn't mess me up as much but they still do. I want to be me again and I just feel like giving up alot lately. So I found this site while searching on which way would be easier to get off of pain meds, the slow way or the 4-6 hour detox in hospital way. I want to be able to clean my house all at once, and I now have a 3yr old grandson that I want to be able to do what he wants to do, not what Grammy can do, which isn't much. I do have to say that the morphine pills do help me a lil bit with my mood, I now laugh and make jokes but I still can't remember what I do or even if I read, I will not remember it even 5 min after reading it. Life just sux at the moment and I really want to be happy again, be me. I will be reading a lot on this forum so if any of you have any advice about how to deal with this, please, I am willing to try anything. Also, one more thing, I am on 2 anti depressants and still not happy. Effexor and Wellbutrin.  go figure lol  
Hi, my name is Kerry, I'm 22 and live in the UK. I have come across this message board a few times when searching for health and pain advice over the past couple of years. I have suffered for 2 and a half years from a herniated disk in my lower back, and have spent the entire time in pain. It has quite literally ruined my life, as I was a social university student, planning to join the police at the time, and it has stopped me from going out with my friends, staying over at friends houses for fear of not having a supportive mattress, I can;t join the police, in the year and a half since leaving university I have been unable to find work as I am limited to what I can do, and I got a lower than expected degree grade as I missed so many lectures due to pain. I have also gained alot of weight due to basically comfort eating and not being able to exercise, or being very limited in what I can do!

Last week I had a microdiscectomy, and I hope it is the beginning of the end for my pain! I have another 5 weeks of recovery time, but the full recovery could take months or years from nerve damage. I am currently taking alot of ibuprofen, paracetemol and tramadol for pain relief, and am stuck spending a lot of time laid down (which isnt really fun after a week!!) I hope to find support and advice (when I need it) to help me through what I hope is a final stretch of pain, as it is such a difficult thing to deal with. And, at 22, it is difficult for my friends to understand or empathise with life with a back problem!
Hi all! I have been writing on here, but have not introduced myself.  I'm Jenn, 26, living in Upstate SC- close to Charlotte, NC.  I am married to a wonderful man who has finally come around with trying to help me with pain issues that I have been suffering from for 3 years.  There really has been no rhyme or reason for my issues, but hoping to find answers or a remedy soon.  I have two beautiful daughters who are 6, and 2 years old.  I have been told that I have Chronic Pain, Chronic Fatigue, Medullary Sponge Kidney, PMDD, Depression/Anxiety which I think is mainly related to trying to live with my pain, DDD starting in the lowest disc of my back, I have numbness/pain in my right leg, Suffer from ovarian cysts frequently as well.  

I have most recently been diagnosed with Fibromaylga by a new PM doctor I have in the area we just moved to several months ago. I have been on all sorts of meds for nerve pain, depression/anxiety, percocet, oxycodone (which my PM doc does NOT have me on right now because he is very conservative which can be a good and bad thing in my opinion)  and currently I am taking 60mg Cymbalta 1x daily, and today I just started Lyrica 75mg 2x daily.  That's what my PM doc is trying for now to see if it helps.  

It's been a difficult 3 years of trying to figure out what in the world has been causing my pain.  My friends don't understand completely, but in turn I have found out who my true friends are- the ones that have stuck by my side.  Moving to a new place has been stressful because when I moved here I didn't know anyone.  I am a stay at home Mom, and a lot of days it's just a struggle to even get out of bed, but I've been trying to remain optimistic and just push forward each day, trying to live life one day at a time.
So glad to see this forum...it's been a great comfort to me so far to know that I'm not alone in this struggle!  Gentle hugs to you all!  ~Jenn
I'm not exactly new to Med Help, but I just joined Pain Management (OK, there are so many forums, it's easy to miss a good one!)

Pain has long been a central issue in my life. I have arthritis in both knees. In the spring I had a series of 5 shots which were like a miracle, but the pain is returning. Six months is the minimum time that the shots are supposed to last - i was hoping to be one of the lucky ones where they last two yeas, since stuies have shown regeneration of cartlidge and repair of a torn meniscus for those with long term results.  Monday I will be getting a "booster shot" to keep me until November, when I can get Supartz again.

I also have arthritis in my spine - neck and lower back, so i have to wear a neck brace and back brace when I sleep. Until i bought a soft neck brace, i looked like I was getting ready to fight a dragon when I got ready for bed! The neck arthritis causes nerve damage which causes my right hand to go to sleep, as if i had Carpal Tunnel (I don't), while the arthritis i my lower spine causes spinal stenosis which causes the bottom of my feet to go numb.

This complicates my Vestibular Balance Disorder (translation - my inner ear is messed up, so I fall down and go BOOM easily). And I always thought i was exceptionally clumsy, until I fell, hit my head on the leg of my china cabinet, and knocked myself out.

If you haven't had neurological tests, other than the MRI, the rest were invented by the Spanish Inquisition! Painful and/or humiliating.  That  included the tests for the nerve damage on my legs and hand (above) and "The Man In The Iron Mask" test to prove that i indeed have migraines.

This week I have some extra pain - I had 5 teeth extracted in one sitting on Tuesday - and I have six left to go next time. And my insurance didn't pay for General Anesthesia, so LUCKY Ike got to be awake while the dental surgeon and his nurse have a conversation I didn't understand about a third party.

I have tried to imbue my comments with more humor than self-pity  I have discovered that feeling sorry for myself doesn't really do me very much good, while a positive attitude, and finding activities, like writing, distracts me.

Unfortunately I had to wait in the pharmacy over an hour for my anti-biotic and pain reliever as the local wore off and the gauze on my wounds became excrutiatingly painful. And listen to the pharmacy staff bicker about something or other. Only one good thing came out of it. I had added in my one psych Rx not covered by my insurance, which usually costs me $15 a month. The other meds had no co-pay, and since  was the last patient for the night, they forgot to charge me the $15,

I figured it was payment for my almost 90 minute wait..

Now I have to adjust to a soft diet until I get my dentures....

Walgreen's has a very good tasting version of Ensure, I discovered. And I love prepared pudding - just don't expect me to cook it!

Glad to have found a place to complain and joke and...

whatever

Ike
Hi, I am not new, but have been fairly absent for the best part of a year, so I'll introduce myself again...
I am from the Antipodes, Australia, myy moniker is OtisDaMan, and this is the only site where I use it to date IIRC. Perhaps a few old friends will guess my boring day-to-day identity, when I'm not fighting PAIN.

My story is long even after zipping but the compressed version is approximately thus:
I went into a private hospital, paid for in full by me, to have a Nissen Fundoplication (a wrapping of the smaller "top floppy bit" of the stomach around the eosophagus to improve the sealing of the lower eosophagal sphincter, the entrance to the stomach). NFs are a surgical way of reducing or eliminating GERD, aka acid reflux - heartburn. That was in April 1998. One of the pioneering surgeons treated me and he was highly experienced by the time I became his patient. I have no regrets concerning the choice to surgery and my selection of surgeon etc.

On day one of my post-surgery recovery, I had severe spearing pain from upper thoracic T5 vertebra, and it only subsided when I lay down flat. Sitting, standing, leaning against something: all would start the pain and it would grow in intensity until I would drop gasping to the floor. Something was up, I was given a physical and told it was probably "referred pain", meaning that although it felt like it was an injury to T5 in my back, it was coming from the visceral organs affected by the physical surgery - stomach, eosophagus, even the diaphram could have been responsible, not that I was told any of this or how referred pain worked.

On the third day I was sent home with a script for 20 Capadex (65mg doxyproproxyphene hydrochloride, 500mg acetaminophen per capsule), about as strong as a panadeine. Well, they certainly worked but the pain didn't fade. A second post-surgical checkup is where I brought it up and after checking the area T5, the surgeon thought it could be an injury but never explicitly said that to me. He suggested I try physio and said something like "Sorry 'bout your back, ol' chap." which I took as simply words of sympathy, not of responsibility for injury. Thus began the 13 years of discovery and loss.

Surgery is inherently risky, and chronic pain is a little discussed potential outcome. Anyway, that was a long time ago now; the important thing is that hopefully my mistakes in navigating the system may help others avoid similar fates, or at least allow you to realise you are not alone, it isn't your fault. Sadly though, for every person new to the experience of chronic pain, there is a singular journey towards that re-appraisal of what your own life can be if the pain is truly chronic and there for the long haul.

Everyone finds their own way through that mystery, but if it seems too lonely, too hard, and if friends and family just don't seem to "get it", post something here about it and someone will respond - usually quite promptly. Plenty of ol' timers haunt this site and will know what you are going through.

One final note - we try to keep things friendly here, unlike most other blogsites for politics, religion, sport, etc. Whatever your views on those subjects elsewhere, here it is the common experience of pain that makes us a group. Even so, it is possible to be misunderstood by another poster, so if it happens don't fret, and if you have misunderstood someone else to their chagrin, just say sorry and leave it at that.

If I've overstepped the boundaries in what I've said concerning this site, no doubt Tuckamore or Sandee will come down on me like a ton of bricks... :-)

OtisDaMan, Back in Town.
Hello Otis,

We are so glad you have returned. You have been missed. I apologize for my tardy welcome back. I've had a crazy few weeks.

We're glad that you will be active in the community again.

~Tuck
think i was here before as another name but wouldnt let me use....it was done4....so i ust rejoined......had some tough times with certain peeps but ive mellowed out and just let thing be what they are!!!!i remember you though you were always nice....going to look for some help as im having problems with meds and not sure where to post....anyway good to be back
Just wanted to say hello. I am a 48yr old mother of three sons. I use to be a nurse but am on disability now due to a terrible fall resulting in four ruptured disc. Ended up having a laminectomy with fusion and rods. I have suffered with chronic back pain every since. I also suffer from hypothyroidism that results in terrible anxiety, and depression. Bless everyone and peace to you all.
Anneonghaseyo!

Hello to everyone in this group.  I just joined MedHelp after finding a lot of fourm questions and answers online while doing some personal researching.  I have lived in chronic abdominal pain for about 3 1/2 years now.  It is very frustrating and it's hard for me to cope with at times.  I am on a Fentanyl patch 50 mcg and use Oxycodone 5-10mg 4 x a day for breakthrough pain management.  I am trying to get into a psychiatrist that focuses upon Bio-Feedback to help me with my mental health side.  Of course I have depression....it's hard not to feel depressed when you are living with pain.  I will admit, I've attempted in the past to cut my life short.  But I believe now mentally I am in a better place and am dealing with the fact that I may have to live with this pain for the rest of my life without any answers.

I think that's the hard part.  Is not having answers.  I just started a relationship about 2 months ago.  And thus far I really do believe he is the one I will someday marry.  However, I don't think he truly understands what I live through day to day.  It's something I wish I didn't have to bring into this relationship but it's part of my life now.  I just don't want to loose him, but I'm so used to dealing with the pain on my own.  

I'm hoping to meet people on this group that I can talk to and share thoughts, feelings, and possibly suggestions with.  I look forward to meeting you guys! Best wishes!
Hi everyone! My name is beth and i am 26 years old. i have been living with back pain,stomach pain for the past 9 years. I have had 2 major back surgery's. I started having pain when i was 17 n i went to 4 back Dr's who all told me if i didnt get surgery i would be peralized by the time i was 25 and the chance of success was 90%. when i was 18 they put in 2 rods 6 screws and fused L4-L5 and L5-S1 and removed bone spurs that were cutting through my nerves in my right leg. Recovery from that surgery was 7 months learning how to walk again was the hardest part. after a year i was still in alot of pain taking over 20 diff pills a day. My dr told me it was still healing wait another 6 months i went back then and he told me  he fixed the problem he seen and told me that is how i would live and all the pain was in my head. I went to another Dr at Johns hopkins university and he did a disco gram that showed my discs were the issue and he went thru my stomach and took out L2,L3,L4, and replaced with bone graph and metal plates. This surgery recovery was about 3-4 months. Year after i was still in pain but only on about 5-6 pain pills and i could walk sit and stand for about 35 min VS before maybe 5-10min. I have degenerative disc disease and arthritis set in where i had my 1st surgery. My mri shows my back has a slipage of 20% but my rods are still in place. This does not make sense to me. My pain management Dr has told me that i need to come with terms that i will live on medication for the rest of my life. I explained i do understand this bc i have been living like this for this long i just want to know why. his answer was the back is very complicated. My dr told me that i am lucky i am not peralized and to come back in a year b/c L5 is starting to go also. I have alot of stomach issues that i see a pelvic pain specialist for and he diagnosed me with pelvic congestion disorder I have had enderometrois burnt out twice next step is hysteroctomy currently i am on provera that has put me thrrough menapause for a year or more this helps with the constant pain a little. I find the positive side of everything negative that i am going thru and i am always smiling that is what keeps me going. its hard at times b/c no one around me understands what it is like living in pain everyday. I work 50-60 hr a week and me and my fiancee own or own business i am at on the weekends. I found this website off of searching for answers for the pelvic congestion disorder and thought it would be good for me to join to talk to people who understand
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have been in pain my whole life. I am 38 years old-i was diagnosed with fybromyalgia seven years ago at the Mayo Clinic and recently found out I have L4-L5 completely degenerated and bulging in my low back (I fell off a horse when I was eighteen.) Right now, my doctors will not give me anything sufficient for my pain so I am bed ridden and my husband and three boys are suffering a long with me.
  I am unable to work or do house chores and it is a huge strain on my marriage. My pain mangement Doctor has me on ultram and will be doing an epidural injection in my low back. Have no idea what that is about?

Inga511
Hello everyone. I am new to this community, and also to this forum. I look forward to having an online support group. I know everyone here can relate to each other in some form or another. My name is Jenny. I am a part-time college student, and have recently had to file for disability due to RRMS and Chronic Pain. Thank you for the open support.
I'm new here am31 with multiple hurniated dics ,sciatica both sides anxiety "about my pain and controlling it", and my wife has about the same ailments but got slapped with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue ,after she had our first child about a year ago! MISERY LOVES COMPANY! we met and had rx uncommon lol anyhow that's me and my better half. I'm here for me her and US! so I hope this site is useful for tips and info and not just a journal for ppl in pain lol. It does give me the warm feeling of knowing were not alone! Fact.. I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW BAD FIBRO IS?

She's just now 25 120lbs. But has ailments and pain like a 60 yr old linebacker .. Her accident was 4 yes ago,car!  

My burning question for now?
My wife current rx oxycodone 30 mg 4x day
Soma 3x  symbalt three weeks now not helping! Anxity med apralozm 1mg  at night! Same rx for three years. " it doesn't last long enough and I still can't sleep well bc of the head 2toe whole body -don't touch me- PAIN... uuuuugh

Is opana ER a long acting narc pain med being used widely for fibro and if so she is getting the chronic fatigue syndrome as a side effect of the evil fibromyalgia , what helps that!

She's had a baby   Had cysts removed   , broke foot, and blacks out from nonmigraine ;nerve pain  headaches, she's been 70% in bed for  10 mths now!  
Any help about our interest in OPANA er is asap  question status as she goes to a new dr this mth.  

Please help with info if you know,if not tell me what helps for most extreme fibro cases?

I am 42 and hurt my back in a fall 2 years ago. This happend where I work. They have had me go to thearpy to seeing there doctors. I am not happy and still in pain. I want to go see my own doctor and at this point I think I am going to. I think my work is going to be upset with me.
They say if I see my own doctor they will not pay the medical bills. I am starting to investage. This injury happened at work.when someone place boxes etc in a walk area. I tripped over one and land flat on my back. They make it seem like I injured myself.
I am in so much pain I cant sleep or eat.
Newbe here, just want to say thanks for being here.
I found this forum when trying to understand how a UA could test negative for percocet, which I have been taking as directed.

My pain hx consists of headaches (no resolution), chronic pelvic pain (with onset of endometriosis), IBS, and now fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

My headaches started in 2000, with still no diagnosis.

I was dx with endometriosis & chronic pelvic pain early 2009, after a year of pain with no dx.

The only rx that have worked for me is either percocet or vicodin. All other muscle relaxers, anti-spasm, etc. have not had any effect at all to relieve any symptoms.

We recently relocated to the KY area & for the 1st time ever, my dr states that my UA was negative. This is not the 1st UA I've had since my pain treatment had started, but it is mindblowing.

I'm currently expecting which means that my options are limited, but considering my pain situation, it's amazing that dr's would assume otherwise.

I hope to get to know you all better, as it seems that we all have a lot in common.

SG
Hi everyone! I'm new to all this but already finding a lot more helpful than the rest of the social networking sites lol. So hello all! I hope to find somebody that could suggest what might be wrong with me or find somebody in a similar situation as me....I am 23 with chronic back/buttock/hip pain for over 12 years now but with no diagnosis. I have been and done probably everything there is too do, but i refuse to stop looking for answers to why i suffer so much at such a young age. Please read my profile to see more about me and my agonising condition. So please please please take the time to read it and fire suggestions my way.....So hi and bye for now!! x
Hi I'm new to this forum but been on medhelp for a while now. I have ankylosing spondylitis and have lots of pain from it. I'm currently 27 weeks pregnant with my first child. I look fwd to getting to know you all.
I just wanted to welcome everyone to the Pain Management Forum!  Many of the members here have been away from the site for various reasons, or just not able to be here as much as we would like, but please know we are all very glad you found us!
You may want to post a "New Question" with any questions you have to get more responses as many of the members here read the individual questions more than the Welcome thread.  
I hope this site helps you all as much as it has helped me.  Sun_Worshipper, I am 37 weeks pregnant with my 3rd natural child and I know how hard it is to deal with spinal pain while pregnant!  It can really compound the situation for sure!
Jaded Congrats on your pregnancy!  It certainly is hard to be pregnant with spinal pain but we are tough chicks and we will get through it :). Thnx for the welcome!
hi my name is jazmyn im also new here but i need an answer
ive been going throught this pain for weeks and i need help its pain in my shoulder/chest and ot hurts to breathe please help
I have been dealing with back pain for 12 years. (upper and lower)it took years to get where i am today. but i got it. I am willing to help people with back pain. And see if I can help you get out of pain. I am no doctor just been thru it all. 2 surgerys 5 disks with cement in them. But after years and years i found great things that work for me.1) I am on the Fentanyl pain patch. 2) I have my nerves burnt in my back.  and living life more then ever before.  i am here to try to help the people still in pain. there really is a method to this madness....
Hi, I was diganosed with fibo 12 years ago. I was in the hospital for RH Fever, Kidney failure, pericarditis stay there for over a month. It was about 3 months after leaving the hospital i became ill with pain all over, I remember dropping a gallon of milk while trying to feed my kids breakfast. from there it just got worst. I when to several dr.'s besides the fact that I just had RH Fever which no ones has as A adult any more all they could come up with is Fibo. So for the past 12 years I have lived on pains meds. Oct 2009 I found a new Dr that believed me and ran more test, found out I had Hasitoxisi and Back disc troubles.anyhow I am seeing lots of Dr's and still taking my pain meds, they also strated me on Gabapentin which helps alot so I can take less pain meds, after my Thyroid is under controll because of my TPO being 5000 which leads them to believe I have a Auto Immune disease My Dr is ref me to Neuro for more test for lupus, ms and somthing else I can't remember.  Okay sorry my intro is so long Hello to all!!!

Terri

My name is Sara, I am a RN, an I have chronic pain. I am in limbo with a diagnosis right now, and can't get any doctors to take me seriously! I've been labeled a drug addict in the past, which is why I am going for my MSN, in Palliative/Hospice care for nurse practitioning. I want to do conferences and in-services to health care providers to explain the difference between addiciton and pseudo-addiction. Sigh.

So I have posted my problems in other sites. I don't like to self diagnose or become obsessed, but my pain and exhaustion have become so bad I have to resign from my job, put shool on hold, and am now home, or should I say floor bound (no couches or beds for me!).

Basically I have an autoimmune disease. Current diagnosis are Fibromyalgia, Lupus, Low back injury, Cervical kyphosis, Serioous GI problems/damage, possible diverticulitis, chronic constipation with intermittent diarrhea. Symptoms are Extreme and constant and ceaseless end your life type of pain, exhaustion so bad it hurts, the GI problems, nausea and vomiting, joint pain, neuro and myelopathy symtoms, sweating, sebaceouus hyperplasia, MRSA in a sebaceous gland that recurrs, tremors, twithces, clonus, osteopenia/soft bones/teeth, pronate ankles, dark urine, elevated liver enzymes, positive ANA, swollen lymph nodes. The all time horror as my friend just died of lymphoma with symtoms similar to mine.

Diagnosis I've come up with and trying to rule out: Multiple sclerosis, Lymphoma, sebaceous gland carcinoma, spinal cord injury.

Test needed: Spinal ttap, LDH, MRI. Only problem, doctors dont take my pain seriously. Currently vicodin and OTC pills and herbs are useless so I know longer bother, due to osteopenia and a prior back injury chiroprators wont touch me, massage worsens it, yoga hurts my joints, and im too exhausted to exercise. I rely on Icy hot all over my body and hot showers with occasional epsom salt tub soaks and sleep on the floor if at all.

I just find it so hard because as a Hospice nurse I did not tolerate my patients being in pain, and I have a strong belief no one on this earth deserves to live in pain. I also believe if a person has pain, there must be a source, and am tired of being labeled as a psych caase, I know better, Im in the health field.

Anyone else experienced this frustration?
My name is Jeff and I run a pain management clinic in NE Atlanta.  I joined the forum so I could get a better understanding of what my clients are going through so I can serve them better.  I have a great deal of respect for anyone who has to manage chronic pain on a daily basis.

Best wishes,
Jeff
www.painmanagementatlanta.com
Hi Sandee1818,
Thanks for the welcome. I've already posted about my two negative urine tests, but I thought I'd tell you a little about me. I'm soon to be 58 in a few days, I was widowed suddenly three years ago this coming March. I suffer from severe depression and non-ending pain in all my large joints- knees, hips and shoulders. The pain actually started several months ago when I was diagnosed with human parvo virus. It attacked all my joints, fingers, wrists, toes and all the big joints. The pain in the small joints reslolved but it hasn't in the big joints. If I sit too long, I need help geting up. I can't sleep on my sides because the shoulder and hip pain is so bad. I live on the third floor and the walk down is agony. I've had no diagnostic tests other than the blood test when I first go parvo, and on x-ray of my hip which showed no arthritis. The pain feels like bone grinding against bone. Tylenol and ibuprofen do absolutely nothing for the pain. I'm at a dead end, I don't know where to go from here. My pcp will no longer pescribe vicodin because of the negative blood tests, and I don't know any of the doctors local to me.
You can't just call a doctor on the phone and ask if he prescribes pinkillers, because then you are labled a drug seeker. Damed if you do and damned if you don't.
Anyway that's my tale of woe and the reason I found this site.Thanks for taking the time to read this.
I mistakenly said that I had two negative bloodtests. They were in fact urine tests. I wanted to have a blood test done but they wouldn't do it. I drink gallons of water day and I believe my urine was too diluted for  a positive test. I know damn right well that I took the vicodin the day before the test but the labs say negative.
I am new and i want to post what is going on in my life:
This is hard for me to say....or even talk about. I really dont know how to ask or what to ask. All i know is that when Feb. 16th comes it will be over. Over with the fighting. Over with being a parent. Here it goes. My boys have been in state custody since Oct. 9th 2008 and Jan. 7th 2009. My first was taken because of abuse. I am the one who is and will ever be guilty for what i did to my son. My second son was taken because of very bad jaundace and his brother was already in state. They have been in custody over 2 years. Last court hearing on last tuesday the judge said he will Severance our rights on Feb. 16th. That is if we dont Relinquish before then...What i want to know is will everyone that meets me or read this keep us in prayer. Let God have his hands on this. Let me be okey with whatever happens to my boys and me. Let my marriage be able to survive this. Keep us in Prayers...
Hi amidone4,
I am sorry I have taken so long to get back to you. Thanks for the kind words that is really very sweet of you:)
I hope your having better luck with your medications. I am here for whatever you may need.

Hi Sara,
I apologize to you as well for the late response. I am so sorry for your loss, losing a friend is so difficult. You have alot going on and I can't even imagine the pain you must be in. Do not give up on all Doctors as there are some awesome ones left out there. Have you tried Pain management?  I believe this is where you should be with all the problems your having. I will help in any way I can.
I know it is so frustrating to hurt and not have anyone believe you. I think we all have been there at some point. Your totally correct that everyone has the right to be pain free!

Hi Jeff,
I think you are an amazing Docotr to put the time and effort in to see what your patients go through each day. Your patients are very lucky.
I was just telling Sara there are some awesome Doctors still out there and here is proof positive. Thanks:)
I wanted to also say welcome to everyone and thank you for telling us about yourselves.
I hope you have found your way around the community and if you have any problems Tuckamore and I are glad to help any way we can:)
I just posted this but it ended up in the regular forum so I am reposting it here.

I am Gary,

I am new here and not real forum or computer savvy. I hope I am in the right place to introduce myself.

I did just post my first question regarding pain medications other than Oxycodone which makes me very sick to my stomach in the morning. I guess I just can't handle the stuff and hope to find alternatives that will agree with me better.

I suffer with lower back pain right above my left buttock and every day is different. Some days I have no pain at all and at other times I can't stand fully erect. This is fairly new to me and I don't yet know what the heck is wrong in there. I am very discouraged because I can wake up feeling almost no pain after a good night of sleep and hoping to have a good pain free day. If I took a pill before bed I end up sick to my stomach in the morning and the heaving cause my back to go right back out. I just don't know what to do.
Hi everyone! I am very glad to find and join this forum.
      I am a 60yr. woman. My pain history goes back over 25yrs .Like many of you, I do not remember how it feels to live without pain.
      It has taken many forms over the years but now it includes scoliosis, severe DDD, arthritis in most all of my joints, fibro. botched tendon surgery which caused all the bones to stack up on each other causing HORRIBLE pain., etc
     . A few years ago, I was also diagnosed with Gastroparesis which meant that all medications, including pain meds. were not being absorbed in my system. Many doctors accused me of making up all my pain. I am very frustrated, I am a very honest woman.                                                  
      Recently, I began taking Morphine Sulfate Drops without much result but some minor relief.  The doctor at the Pain Clinic has given me several spinal injections and told me to try Fentanyl  Patches next. That will happen soon. Hopefully they will give me more relief than I've gotten before.
      A side note..I had a 2 stage thyroidectomy in the last 6 weeks due to thyroid cancer and will go through Radiation treatments after the first of the year. I can honestly say going through this has been way less painful  than all my other health issues!
     Well, that's most of my story. Once again, I' glad to find this forum.  Thanks...Karen
Welcome to the pain management community Gary and Karen.
We are so glad to have you here and look forward to getting to know you:)
Hello, if anyone needs any info on scoliosis, cluster headaches, oxycodone, loraz / clonazepam and pain clinics ans the shamble the health is in Toronto / Canada. Ask me. I can tell you precisely what is what. The cold painful truth.

Warm and fuzzy regards these depressing holidays!
Hi,erbody my name is Raymond Belle and im 23 years old and glad to join up and share health info with u all and get your advice an give some as well and if i dont have an answer ill get the answer
Hello everyone,my name is Edna & I am chronic pain sufferer.I have low back pain & pain
& numbness in my left leg.I have arthritis in my hands & also suffer with depression.I take meds. which helps but still I suffer.I have been on this site reading & it has been very helpful
to read about other people's experiences.My problem is with the doctor not giving me enough
pain medication because he is afraid of addiction.

Hi Edna,
I am glad you have found Med Help. We are certainly glad to have you here. Unfortunately alot of Doctor's are afraid of addiction with the medications we take. it is not really understood by alot of them though. Addiction and dependence are totally different.
i would recommend getting a pain management Doctor as they are better equipped to handle pain issues and new research and medications available.
.
I hope everyone had a great Christmas and Has a very Happy New year.
May we all have a pain free or as close a we can get this year:)
Im new how do you get people to answer my questions or do they just do that randomly?

My name is Caleb, Ive been married for 7 years and I am 24 years of age. When I found this site, it was Christmas and I was at the end of my rope so to speak. I'm in incredible pain all the time from 3 herniated discs and a bulging L4 and L5. I also have a narrowing of the spine and a bone spur in my nerves according to an MRI in October. I use to have a life, a car, a job, a house, so called friends and considered myself blessed daily. I was always thankful for what I had till it was taken away from me.

I dont know if anyone really cares or listens anymore, and I couldnt blame them. Before this I would've just shrugged my shoulders to the thought of people who need surgery, mostly because my shoulders still could move properly. Now I've been in pain for almost a year, and when I read some of these posts I can just break down into tears.

I would not wish this pain on my worst enemy. I'm on Morphine, Perks, and Flexoral (which does nothing) and every surgeon has told me I should be in shock from the pain, yet every surgeon has denied me because of lack of insurance. I am in so much pain and cannot live like this anymore. I just want relief,  no matter what the circumstances.
My name is sara and I am a full time student and mother. I have been struggling with cronic pain in my left leg for about 5 years now. A small lump between my bone and muscle. The doctors say its nothing and unrelated. I have had bilateraly swollen lynph nodes for 6 years and I am just now getting to go for a biopsy this wednesday. I was diagnosed with ciliacs disease almost 2 years ago. Battle with a constant upset tummy and now am starting antidepresants. I have a hard time because my other half does not understand what its like to live in contant pain. He tries though.... Not always as supportive as he could be but I understand it can be a lot to deal with. I am just looking to conect with other people who might be able to understand what its like to live in constant pain. I want answers but it has been a slow roed to getting those answers. I am scared to get this biopsy done not only for the pain but am afraid of what they might find even if it means no more pain.
hi I'm new here and just wanted to say hello. For the last month or so I've been trying to fight pain in my right side by my ovaries. It comes and goes. It's not everyday but I deal with it at least 3 times a week. I've gone to so many different sites and everything I've found didn't help me. So here I am asking you guys for help. The pain gets so bad that I feel like I'm going to start crying. It breaks my heart when after a long day at work I can't enjoy time with my 2 year old son, cuz I'm sitting on the couch with a heating pad. Hope you guys can all help me out.

rachel
Hello, I am also brand new to this site, and so very happy to find it. All together, this is an awesome set of tools they put together here at Medhelp - from the trackers to these boards.

Although I am new to this site, I am not new to chronic pain. I have been dealing with it for about 15 years now, since a car accident in 1996 where I fractured my neck and back. Over the years, I have gotten a whole bunch of conditions/diagnosis piled on the original injuries - from herniated discs and spinal stenosis, through Cushing's disease, to now the latest - lupus or RA (they are waiting for some test or another to make the call) to a tumor on my parathyroid. I honestly do not know which of these very painful and life-changing conditions I would have encountered anyway and which are related to the treatments I have been given along the way to help the original problems (like prednisone, I became prednisone toxic and got Cushings; the Cushings put an extra 80 lbs. on and blew out my knee joints, my blown knee joints - as well as herniated discs, etc.- prevent much in the way of exercise... and so it goes, around and around...).

In any case I know the places I hear you talking about - the agony of the pain, the horrible and callous treatment we often get from doctors and pharmacists; watching those we thought we knew stigmatize us and drift away... the unfairness of the whole thing! STILL, I want to be a beacon of hope for as many here as I can - since on a good day I am able to find a somewhat bright view of life. And, the truth is that even now living with increasing chronic pain for 15 years I am struggling with all of those tough issues over and over again. I think the advantage of time is that I am no longer as easily surprised when something really f***ed up happens, I know what to expect for the most part, I am less angry and depressed... I guess what I want to share is that it can get better.

Right now the one aspect of my life I could use some coaching or advice in is in building a community for myself. I ended a 16 year long relationship (another casualty of chronic pain in my view) and moved to Boston. I do not know a soul here and it's been a long time since I went about trying to make friends. So if anybody has any tips for me, let me know! I am hoping to learn how to make real-life in-person friendships in a new town and of course online friends are great as well. WHY did I move across the country, from SF to Boston, when I do not know a soul here and at the moment cannot walk more than 1/2 a block? This to Snailtrail who posted above and anyone else who cannot get insurance: EVERYBODY in Mass has insurance. It is a state law. I do not pay anything for co-pay (which is good, since I don't have anything), my prescriptions are $3 each and I am still on the healthcare here through the state. It is the only state in the union with these laws, and I could not make it any other way... even where I can afford it, nobody will insure me.

Sorry for writing a novel - hang in there - I am open to just listening, answering any questions anyone wants to ask me about living with chronic pain, have learned to keep it as positive as is realistic or possible, and ..... and look forward to chatting with some of you!
New to the forums here, been lurking for awhile.  Just dropping a note to say hi!
I just wanted to introduce myself- I have been a lurker for the most part for years, but now I would like to be an active member! I think this board has MANY wonderful, caring people, who really know their stuff! A bit about me-

In late '05/early '06, I started having problems with pain in my lower back, and also my knees and hands were getting weak. I was dx'd with RA, and also DDD, 3 bulging discs, multiple annular tears, and (the kicker) MS. In Feb '07, my dx of MS was retracted, and I found out I had a Chiari Malformation w/ a syringomyelia (cyst in my spinal cord). THE VERY NEXT DAY, I found out I was pregnant with # 4! I had a HORRIBLE pregnancy!! I was hospitalized on bedrest because no dr had any clue how to deal with a chronic pain patient who had CM/SM... I ended up having my daughter at 34 weeks via c-section. She was only 4 pounds, but healthy and was able to avoid NICU. In may '08, I had my decompression surgery. In Feb '10 I injured my knee, and had 2 arthroscopies as a result.

I'm no stranger to chronic pain, and have tried all sorts of things for it. PT, injections, RFA's, etc... I think a surgery is in my future, but we'll see. I'm hoping that, with your guys' help, I can push it out another 10 years!!