Pain Management Community
New to Forum, not to Chronic Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

New to Forum, not to Chronic Pain

I have suffered from chronic pain for ten years. I have been treated with a cornucopia of medicines. However, the things that work the best (pain medication-narcotics) are very hard to get prescribed. Despite, my multitude of diagnoses'. At one point I found a Doc that was willing to prescribe me the meds that worked. However, he started too strong and I became non functioning not long after. We have four kids between us and a very busy life. I struggle daily to keep up. After my bad experience with being over medicated, I went through a grueling and horrible detox. That was two years ago. I am scared and nervous to go down the road of pain management again. However, I am so tired of suffering quietly and not being able to keep up with our lifestyle. I never want to be incapacitated whether its due to pain or pain medication, again. I feel I lost precious time that I will never get back while I was incapacitated due to over medicating.

I had a hard fall on the ice recently which sent me to the ER. Pain meds were prescribed. They helped a lot. The fall really aggravated my conditions. My PM is prescribing me Percocet right now for the acute injury but has made it clear he doesn't want me on it long. Ughhh! So, here I go again. The struggle to find a Dr that will responsibly give me pain management. In the past, no one wanted to touch a woman in her 30's that has chronic pain. I suspect this will be the infuriating and maddening challenge again. Which almost makes me not want to seek relief because the process is so frustrating and depressing. Unfortunately, those that don't have actual need for pain meds and seek them legal or not, makes it immensely difficult for us chronic pain sufferers to get relief.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should begin? It is frightening and scary to be back in this position again. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks
Hi!
I read through your post and am not sure abut he cause of chronic pain. If it is a generalized whole body pain then this needs to be investigated.
Poor posture while sleeping, sitting on computers or jobs for a long time, uneven bed, exposure of back to cold air while sleeping can cause a discomfort in various parts of the body.  Take a multivitamin, plenty of fluids, and an OTC analgesic. Apply a local analgesic and apply a heating pad and see if it helps. Improve your posture.
Whole body pain can also be due to can be due to fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, severe anemia, ankylosing spondylitis, osteoarthritic changes of the vertebrae, calcium deficiency, low Vit D, electrolyte disturbance, peripheral neuropathy due to diabetes or hypothyroidism or Lyme or lupus. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Treating the cause of pain often helps take care of pain. Physiotherapy,  exercise, hydrotherapy, healthy diet, vitamin supplementation, and non-opioid pain killers all can help. Please talk to your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
I am sorry that you are going through all this at your age. I too am a Chronic pain sufferer of 23 yrs and I am 35 yrs old. Getting meds or any doctor to listen to me was the hardest.

I feel the best place to go is a pain management clinic as they are the ones that can prescribe them or something that can help.

I sometimes see why people go on the streets buying oxy's I really do. The health care system doesn't realize what we go through and we suffer in silence.

I really am sorry again that you have to feel this way and I totally understand your pain.,
Pain causes depression, depression causes pain, and on and on. I have mri's documenting the source of the pain, and the doctor at that time started me on pain medication for a couple of years. This doctor was kind enough to trust me and treat me with dignity. I was finally able to function and actually do physical therapy and my housework. Sadly, he moved to another state. The doctor I have now gives me such a lower dose, it's like I have to decide which two hours each day are most important, and take medication only then. The rest of each day is consumed with pain. I am so tired of this. I've got an appointment with a different doctor in two weeks, I'm hoping he can help me get better. Best of luck to all of you :)
I have been where you are.  It is possible to find the right care.  I was very over medicated & took myself off very high doses of strong narcotics.  I was very scared to go back on pills.  I have 4 kids & it was soooo difficult ... either too much pain or in a stupor.  My primary care helped me find the right (so far) physician to help with the pain.  I went back on the pills when my BP was @ stroke level due to the pain.  I use lots of things together (topical gels, ibuprofen, @ times narcotics, exercise, etc.) to help with the pain, though I know I will never be pain free.  But most days I manage.  (You can look @ my journal/posts to see what I've tried.)  Best of luck.  Severe CP can be so   debilitating.