Pain Management Community
Non-Narcotic Pain Relievers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Non-Narcotic Pain Relievers

Hello my name is Travis and I have had chronic knee pain for about 7 years now. I have had 8 knee surgeries (7 on Left and 1 on right). Recently I checked into a detox facility to get off of narcotic pain relievers once and for all. I had been taking around 8-12 lortab 10mgs daily. Being sober now for about a week (I know in a newbie with that) I have been searching for a pain reliever. I have been taking Aleve over the counter which has done nothing and recently started taking Ibuprofen 800mg which has also done nothing. My right knee is a mess due to overcompensation due to my crappy left knee. Right now I have torn cartilage in the knee and just all around pain. Moderate to severe.

I have no desire what so ever to take narcotics but need to find something to help the pain. I was just seeing if anyone here had any suggestions? I have heard of Ultram in the past and the more I read on it the more it looks good for me but people seem to have differing opinions on the drug. Any help would be great.  

Thanks for the help
Hi Travis,

First, I want to welcome you to the PM (Pain Management) Forum and let you know that we are glad you found this Forum. We are all CP (Chronic Pain) Patients that help each other with our own expertise and experiences that we have developed through our own CP Issues.

Travis, you don't want to have anything to do with Ultram as it's as addictive as Hydrocodone.  I know that you hear that it's not a narcotic but  it's virtually the same thing.  I have a feeling before much longer that it will be reclassified as a narcotic.  So since you have just accomplished getting free of Hydrocodone this Ultram (Tramadol) would be getting "right  back on" the very same things, basically.  Please be careful as you were on a very high dosage before.

I'd talk to the people at the Detox Facility that you went to that helped you and ask their opinion and what they would suggest.  I'd hate for it to have been for nothing.  You are so "newe" at being "sober" (as you called it) I doubt that your system could handle anything that is close to a Hydrocodone without problems of stopping again.

If you don't want to talk with them, then contact your Doctor's and ask them what you should or shouldn't try for your pain relief.  You definitely have legitimate pain and will have, possibly for a very long time (possibly for the rest of your life even), and will need to find something that will help you.  I'm so sorry that you have had to deal with all of these surgeries!! You are so young and have been through so much already.  May I ask what caused you to have to have the knee surgeries?  Was it by any chance sports?  Was it and injury?

I know exactly what you are talking about "overcompensation".  I have had 3 THR's (Total Hip Realacement) all on the left hip and my right hip has taken a "real beating" because of the "overcompensating" that it had to do for all of those years!!

I wish you the very best and I hope that you will let us know how you are doing.  I tend to really be concerned about everyone on MH but even more so when they are young people such as yourself. :)

I'll be looking for you updates.........Sherry  :)