Pain Management Community
Norco & Vicodin-HELP!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Norco & Vicodin-HELP!

When taking a urine test, can they detect whether you've taken a Norco hydrocodone or a Vicodin hydrocodone? Aren't those just brand names or generic names?

PLEASE HELP!!!!
It depends on if it is lab test or the quick test. now my dr uses  a quick test that shows illeagal oxy hydro and others seperate.
Hydrocodone is the generic form for Vicodin, they are one in the same.  Not sure how long it stays in your system.  I had to have a drug test for a new job and told them ahead of time that I take hydrocodone, they were fine with it and it did not show up on the test anyway.  Sorry but I don't remember how many days I was off of it.  I work for doctors and will find out for you.
Out of curiosity, how would a test be able to determine whether or not a drug was illegally acquired?   We have a HUGE problem in our town with people going to these fly-by-night pain clinics up in Houston, getting prescriptions for Lortab 10's, Somas and Xanax, and then coming back to town and selling them to people.  If someone has a prescription for Lortabs, and say they buy more from one of these people, if they are tested how would the test show their own prescription vs the illegally gotten Lortabs?  They are all the same drug.  The reason I ask is because I am a manager at a hotel, and I have had a hard time trying to find decent people to work the front desk.  We never used to require new hires to be drug tested, but since I have been made manager, I've decided that from now on, all new hires are going to be drug tested in an attempt to avoid problems down the road.  If someone has a legitimate prescription for Lortabs, I don't want to condemn them when hydrocodone is found in their system, because that wouldn't be fair to them.  I just don't understand how the test can differentiate between the two.

Ghilly
No, they can not differentiate between a legally prescribed drug and an illegally obtained one.
If they do a serum testing, they can differentiate between Lortab and Vicoden because of the amount of hydrocodone and the filler ingredients by the levels in your blood, but in a urine test, they can not, unless they do a gas chromotography. The GC breaks it down by the metabolites left in your body and the amounts of each chemical.
If you don't have a valid prescription for either drug, and you are taking both, you will get caught if they use GC testing.
I do have a prescribtion but it's for Vicodin Hyrdrocodone and not Norco although I've taken a norco and was asking if they can tell the difference in a urine test.

Thanks a bunch!
I was a hotel manager too and know where your coming from. I has several people on them illeagally as the law came and got them at work! I don't know how to tell you to hire without knowing as illeagal and legal is the sme drug one was just presribed and the other one bought off the street.  After the bust happennd at my hotel i refusd to hire anyone taking them.
The simple answer to the original question is NO. Vicodin and Norco are both brand names for Hydrocodone combined with Tylenol, period.
You can find this info all over, for example,...
http://www.drugs.com/norco.html

another is rxlist.com

Illegal drugs sometimes are not pure and a high priced test (GC Mass Spect, etc.) would see a contaminant that just wouldnt be in a major factory's product. They would almost have to be looking for the contaminant though, very unlikely.
I believe I did say they were the same drug, unless they were looking for that certain drug in a lab test they would come up as the same drug!
As for my test they do and will show illeagal drugs, I have seen people arrested at the dr because they have shown cocaine ect. I apprciate that you have lab knowledge but this is new tesing cups that will show different drugs such as differ from hydro and oxy. I do not take hydro but do take oxy so once I took some cough syrup and hydro showed up on my cupo test now I had told them ahead of time so I was ok.
Wouldnt a blood or urine test show a higher consentration of the medication because norcos are 10 mgs, vicodin come in 5 and 7.5 mgs, I believe.