Pain Management Community
Norco vs ulyram

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Norco vs ulyram

My doctor is switching my meds from norco 10/325 to ultam.  Please what is this going to do to me reguarding
Hi Jujubean48,

First, I want to welcome you to the PM (Pain Management) Forum and let you know that we are glad you found this Forum. We are all CP (Chronic Pain) Patients that help each other with our own expertise and experiences that we have developed through our own CP Issues.

Would you mind letting us know the reason that your Doctor gave you for switching you?  Was the Norco 10/325 not managing your pain as well as it used to?  Had you asked for the amount to be "upped"?  How many were you taking a day and how many Ultram has he/she prescribed for you a day?  How long have you been taking the Norco?  Could you finish the last sentence? Were you asking what the Ultram is going to do to you regarding your pain?

Thank you for the additional information.  It will help us be able to give you a better idea of what the switch will mean to you.

I'll be looking for your updates.........Sherry  :)
No reason was given and yes I had asked for my norco to be upped.  I've been taken norco for almost 5 years now.  I'm given 120 for 30 days.  I always run out though.  They gave me 120 tramadol for 30 days
Hi Jujubean48,

When you have been on the same Medication for such a long period of time, many times you build up a tolerance to your medications.  That's what happened to me after I was on Norco (Hydrocodone) 7.5 for 7 years.  After that length of time they just quit working on me!  :(  My PM Doctor switched me to Percocet 10/325's for my BT (Breakthrough) Meds along with giving me a Long-Acting Med and that took care of the problem.  

Hopefully, the Ultram will give you some relief.  I've never been given it. but I've seen some on here that got relief from it and others that it didn't help at all.  I'm sure that you will find that with all medicine!!  :)

Please do your best to stick to the 3 each day and not run out.  Sometimes you just have to tough it out for a couple of hours each day until it's time for your next pill.  Don't give in to taking it early or you will wind up short each and every month.  You don't want to do that, especially if your Doctor decides to give you a UA Test!!  Please take them as prescribed as i'd hate to see you lose your PM Doctor and that's usually what will happen. :(

I'll be looking for your updates..........Sherry  :)
Hi Jujubean,

Welcome to MedHelp's Pain Management Forum. I am glad that you found us and took the time to post your concern.

Ultram (tramadol) is a narcotic-like pain reliever that is used to treat moderate to severe pain. It is considered less potent then Norco (hydrocodone) but don't let that fool you. It all depends on how your system responds to the medication. It may be more effective for you then the Hydrocodone.

I know that the general theory is one becomes tolerant of a specific medication over time.  I don't believe that is entirely untrue. However I believe that more then tolerant our condition changes and in all probability deteriorates over the years so we require more medication to control the increasing pain..... Or sometimes and often better a different opiate (change) may best address our changing condition.  My physician shares in my belief.... for what it's worth.

I hope you will find Tramadol to be beneficial.  It may take some time before you notice it's effectiveness as your system adjusts to the change. Did your physician prescribe the long acting or the short acting form of Tramadol?

I wish you well and hope you will keep in touch. I'll look forward to your updates with interest.

Take Care,
~Tuck