Pain Management Community
Not sure if my ribs are broken
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Not sure if my ribs are broken

My husband picked me up this evening and gave me a large bear hug. When he squeezed, I heard/felt a pop coming from my rib cage on the left side. I was momentarily light headed and weak, and was in a bit of pain. This eased off and I was able to return to carrying my children, within half an hour. As the evening has progressed, the pain is getting stronger. It hurts when I move certain ways, pick up either of my children ( 40lbs, 15lbs), and cough or laugh. I did look at rib injuries online, but it doesn't bother me to breathe, so I'm not sure if I have caused an injury, or if I'm completely fine, just sore. I have no troubles breathing, I'm just worried about going to bed and causing further damage. Should I go into emergency? Is it broken? I have a exclusively breast fed baby, so spending hours in emergency waiting room is not something I do unless it is absolutely necessary. Please advise. Thank you.
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1340994_tn?1374197577
Don't go to the ER without phoning your primary care doctor.  Get advice as to what to do.  
Blank
1248623_tn?1406812015
Only x-rays can confirm, but generally nothing is done for broken ribs. (unless there are multiple and the lungs are in danger)
It sounds like Costrachondritis. (Irritation/inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs)
If no contraindications, whether broken rib or Costrachondritis, NSAIDs such as Ibuprofen or Aleve for pain.
Blank
Look at your medications sorry you don't feel well if you are breastffedding there are certain medications you CAN'T take because they will be in your breastmilk and your baby will be on the medication too NOT GOOD
Blank
My ex-husband broke a couple of my ribs the same way, years ago when we were still married. Gave me a big bear hug and I felt rather than heard a cracking. Had trouble taking in a breath right away. Was horrible as my children  young at the time. Severe pain for exactly 6 weeks, then tenderness for another 2 months. Went for a couple of follow up xrays, even though it looked like the ribs were healing crooked they ended up looking straight in the end.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pain Management Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...