Pain Management Community
Numb toes!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Numb toes!

My toes are numb and it's weird. I've had periods where my foot will go numb while driving or sitting but it doesn't last. Now the bottom of my toes are numb on my right foot. It feels like there is something stuck under them and it's driving me crazy! Also my butt and thighs go numb after sitting for more than 30 minutes. Anyone else with herniated disk and such have numb toes and legs? It's not so much that it hurts, it's just annoying.
I have had the same thing happen to me... only it was just my big toe that would get numb and tingle... it was Sciatica causing the weird numbness... the doctor had me go through the McKenzie physical therapy exercises and after about 3 months of PT it went away! It came back once when I got a job doing data entry and sitting all day... so I looked up the exercise to stretch my hamstring muscles and it went away again! Hope this helps.  Good luck!
Toe and foot pain is certainly not unusual especially after sitting for prolonged periods. There are at least two causes, and remedies, I know of from experience. I first experienced numbness partly in my big toe, and mostly in my next two toes. Like others, it was mostly annoying and often felt like something was stuck between them. An MRI revealed my L4/L5 disk had ruptured and broken apart. A fragment was touching my Sciatic nerve causing the odd sensations. When it was removed by surgery the sensations were essentially gone for the next ten years. Recently it returned after doing 5 days of prolonged stooping while plastering my home. I suspect the stooping pushed the disk back enough to touch my Sciatic again. The stooping and rising irritated my Piriformis muscles. Both or either can trigger foot and toe pain in my.

The second bout of numbness accompanied by painful tingling occurred two years ago. This time it was the top of my foot and toes. An MRI revealed the same disk was still impinging on my nerve. My neurologist discussed surgery, but suggested physical therapy as an preliminary alternative since it was not ruptured this time. After examination my therapist was convinced the disk was not the source of my discomfort--however she determined it was indeed due to irritation of the Sciatic nerve. Yet this time, it was compression of the nerve by my Piriformis muscle (google it). With some targeted stretching exercizes, heat treatments and massage it cleared up in about 10 weeks.

Sciatic irritation due to disk impingement can be mimicked by Piriformis compression. However, since the Piriformis in the center of your butt muscle, the symptoms manifest from the center of that muscle downward. If you also have irritation to the right or left of your tailbone, or base of your spine (both above your Piriformis), it may be disk impingment.

Both Sciatic conditions have a possibility of relief from Chiropractic, or targeted stretches, or anti-inflammitory drugs like Ibuprofen. Prirformis massage also helps. Due to the location of the Sciatic nerve as it passes near the Piriformis, carrying a wallet in the hip pocket can severly irritate the Sciatic--get rid of it!. When sitting for long periods of time, lumbar disks can be forced rearward, toward the Sciatic nerves. Perform stretches that move disks away from the Sciatic periodically through the sitting, or when sitting is done. This can greatly relieve the pain and prevent chronic problems from setting in.

This information was gained first hand as I have dealt with back problems over the last 35 years. Hope it helps.

Thanks. I have/had numbness because I have stenosis caused by a disk herniation. I also have a few different types of arthritis in my lumbar spine which does not help my sciatica. I made this post back in November because it was the first time I had the numbness any lower than my knee and it was just weird. I'm familiar with everything you said in your post due to many hours of research into my conditions. I'm in my late 20's and when I was first diagnosed with arthritis 3 years ago, I did, and still do, many hours of research to better understand my conditions.
Hi Atonicat,

Kudos! In my opinion you are approaching your diagnosis/condition correctly. When I was first diagnosed I did the same. The more educated we are on our disease/conditions the better self-advocate we can be, as I am sure you have discovered. However I am so sorry that you have these painful conditions, especially at such a young age.

I have "numbness" in several areas of my body and actually no feeling at all in several areas. Mine is due to severe nerve damage.  I am probably more fortunate then you as it really doesn't cause me much pain... at least for the most part.

Indeed when I have an IM (Intramuscular Injection), I always ask for it in my upper rt gluteal area.... (gluteus medius muscle). I then tell the practitioner I never felt the injection and how very skilled they are at injections. :o)  The truth is I have no feeling what-so-ever in that area. You could stick a small rod in it and I probably still wouldn't feel it!!  But they don't know that and feel so flattered!! So I consider it therapeutic numbness!  

Just thought I'd share my experience with hiney numbness!!