Pain Management Community
Numbness and a burning pain above right knee

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I had my gallbladder removed about a month ago and was in the hospital for 10 days.
I now have numbness and burning pain above my right knee.
In the front and on the outer side of my right leg between knee and hip.
Nothing seems to help ease the pain or numbness.
Any suggestions to what may be causing this problem?
Are there any recommendations?
Thanks for any help.
John God
Hello and Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am sorry to hear about your new painful symptoms.

In my opinion I doubt that your knee, leg and hip pain is related to your gallbladder surgery, unless they injured something while moving you during the process.

Burning and numbness with pain are often related to nerve impingement or inflammation or even injury.  Normally the source of the pain originates from another site and is referred to the areas you are experiencing pain. Therefore the pain could originate in the hip, SI Joint or the spine or even another source. It is very difficult to determine what is causing your pain without imaging.

I suggest that you make an appt with your PCP and go from there. He may refer you on to a specialist after he orders a few tests and gets the results back. Once you know what is causing your pain you can go from there.

Please let us know how you are doing. I wish you the very best and hope that you will keep in touch with us.

Take Care,
Tuck
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.
My only problem with what you suggested is.
I was laid off from my job and I don't have any insurance.
Now I'm in debt with my gallbladder surgery.
John
I am sorry to hear that John. Boy I wasn't of any help to you given your situation.

Have you contacted your local county seat Social Service Office? Often states offer insurance coverage at little or no cost to you or there are other programs that may help you. Don't be too proud to ask. Many of us have been there.

I just saw my PCP yesterday and we were talking about the high cost of dental care. She said that unlike dentist, that won't touch you without money up front a physician must treat regardless of the patients ability to pay. She said half of their patients do not pay for care!! I don't know if this is a Wisconsin law or not but never have I been turned away because of my ability to pay. I must admit that I am a "payer" with great insurance that pays at 100% because of my husband's position with his company but that has not always been the case.  

I assume you are taking the usual OTC, NSAID's such as Ibuprofen. Most ppl don't realize that they have to be taken routinely instead of sporadically to be effective. You have a "free" source of knowledge in your local pharmacist. Ask what he/she recommends OTC for the type of pain you are experiencing. Try heat or ice which ever feels best and you can even rotate between the two through out the day. Topical rubs can also add some releif but don't apply heat immediately after application of a rub.

Don't forget to see what your state offers to uninsured residents. And please keep in touch with us. We are here to support you. I will look forward to your updates.

Good luck and take care,
Tuck  
Hi Tuck,
Once again thanks for all your help.
I will see what I can find out on my end.
Any help I can get at this time, would help until I can find a job.
Thank-You,
John
I have numbness and burning pain from a botched root canal where a formaldehyde based filling material was used and overfilled into my nerve canal.  Its the same pain just in a different place.  There are some really cheap drugs (Elavil) that helped me.  You can probably get a GP or doc-in-a-box to prescribe it.  It doesn't take away the pain completely but it keeps me from wanting to shoot myself (on most days).  Elavil (generic is amitryptilin) has horrible drowsiness side effects and it took me about a year to wake up.  There are other drugs in that class, tri-cyclic antidepressants, that they claim will do the same but I can't vouch for them...doxepin being one of them.  By the time I realized that I was over the worst of the side effects...and the one time I tried to replace it with another drug I was OUT OF MY MIND in pain.  I will NEVER stop taking this stuff.  I started at 25mg 2x day and worked my way up to 100mg 2x day and have been here for years.  Get the pain under control.  Elavil is about $10/month (I think).  If it works, it will be the best $10 you've ever spent.....

Good luck.
Thanks for the info.
I do have one more question if you don't mind.
I've been trying to find out what exercises I can do for a pinch nerve in my back.
A few years ago I had a pinch nerve in my neck.
My doctor sent me to Therapy and I began a exercise program.
In a matter of weeks my neck pain was gone.
I did check with a doctor and he said it sounded like a pinch nerve in my back that radiates down my leg. He's not a therapist so didn't have any exercises for me.
I now use heat and pain meds.
Do any one know of any exercises for a pinch nerve in my back?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank-You,
John