Pain Management Community
Numbness in Left Arm and Left Hand

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Numbness in Left Arm and Left Hand

I have been experiencing numbness in my left arm and hand for about 6 months now.  I notice that when I sleep on my stomach with my hands above my head then my left arm always goes numb and it becomes somewhat painful.  Also, each day as i sit at my desk and type I notice the area around my tricep, beneath my tricep, and fingertips get prickly sensations all throughout the day which is annoying.  Lastly, when I sit in my couch and lean forward to type on my laptop the tingling sensation becomes very intense.  I recall I experienced this at my former job and made some changes to my desk, such as raising my chair, making my monitors higher, but these changes have not helped at this job.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hi kazz,

I'm glad that you have found the Pain Management Forum and want to Welcome you!! I want you to understand that there are NO Doctors on the Forum that iw is only  CP (Chronic Pain) Patients that help each other out with suggestions that might help with our pain.

That's a terrible feeling when you have the numbness and tingling that you are experiencing in your arm and hand.  When you add in the tricep, beneath the tricep and fingertip prickly sensations it must drive you nuts!!

I have the same thing concerning the numbness in the arms and hands at night but mine is in both arms and hands. Mine is caused from my DDD (Degenerative Disc Disease) in my back and the underlying problems such as arthritis thruout my body. My numbness is my entire arm but then only the middle finger, ring finger, and my little finger. My pointer finger and my thumb are fine. It's a very uncomfortable feeling!!

Have you ever had an x-ray or MRI done on your back to look for arthritis, DDD, or herniated disc's? It might be worth a trip to your Dr. to check it out. You might consider a Rheumatologist and a Neurologist to find out exactly what you have going on.

I hope that you can get some answers. Please keep us updated as to what you find out!! I'm really sorry that you have this happening.

Good Luck...Sherry
I just came down with a similar deal 4 days ago. The sensation reminds me of hitting your "funny bone" but half as intense. It's the left arm - triceps and little finger and ring finger. The numbness/tingling comes and goes every few minutes. My forearm and all the rest are unaffected. I'm right handed, I don't use the left much. Doesn't hurt though. I sleep on my side, switching frequently as I'm a light sleeper. It's just troubling to consider, especially being layed off with no insurance.
I've been having some of the same symptoms...google Ulner Nerve Entrapment. Interesting information there that might give you some clues....

Sorry to hear you are having this! I've been waking up at night with numb fingers too and it's driving me nuts. From what I read, I think it's from how I'm holding my arms and hands to protect myself from my shoulder and neck pain, as well as how I lean on my elbows at work.