Pain Management Community
Oh Advice Needed ..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Oh Advice Needed ..

On or about 2/7/2012 - I agreed to and took the mandatory UA screening for my PM doctor (someone with whom previously I'd had a good working relationship).  A UA, that I in fact mentioned to them that I was overdue to take, essentially volunteering to take the screening.  Apparently I came up so clean that there wasn't even Motrin in my system.  Ergo, I was summarily released (ie "fired"), via mail (no phone call, no face to face).  They would not see me, nor would they speak to me, even after I offered to retake and retest.  I like the doctor - truly I do.  Do I think that they should have had a face to face with me? Yes, of course.  But, what is done is done (I had (and still have - multiple people willing to back up that they'd seen me take my prescriptions, and that I'd never come up short - though I did leave a script behind on a vacation once that they refilled saying it would be the "last time" - even though I had never had any issues previously).

Fast forward 12 months (of flairs and generalized discomfort/pain).  After an unrelated injury to my back, and my own honesty with a primary care doctor, I was referred to a pain management doctor, who knew before I told them that I had been to a pain management doctor in the past.  I have yet to find a pain doctor in my state who will treat me - even though I have offered to take multiple drug screenings (via blood rather than urine, but I am opposed to neither test as a rule of thumb personally speaking).  Any ideas of what I can do at this point?

ANY advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Tags: Pain, Advice, Doctor, Non-Compliance?
Personally, I would get a copy of your records and see whats in there, that way you can explain, gather what you need, etc to show your PM that you really do need help and give your side of the story. But you first need to see what that last doctor put in there. Good luck to you!
Thank you - I just feel like I am in meltdown status - all I have left are tears.  But what I truly TRULY appreciate is that you didn't condemn me straight away.  

I can only hope and pray that this other doctor will see that I was a good patient (okay so I was self pay and owe them money but thats the worst of it all) .. I didn't want to lie to anyone .. so I was honest and I am paying a price I never expected.  

PS:  Forgive my manners - Nice to meet you ..
Nice to meet you also. I have read many stories about the false negative UA's. I fear that they happen more often than people think. Keep us updated on your progress. 8-)
I spoke to Labcorp today and they said they need a doctor's order to do a test - even on a sample 1 year old.  That is just plain ole silly (even though I was willing to pay out of pocket) I only know that while honesty is the best policy - sometimes it doesn't pay to be honest apparently.  All they did say is that false negative results are - and I quote them - "rare" ..

Hope sometimes is all we have - but hope does not cure pain - and it's tiring to always get close but come up just short with these doctors.  

Thanks for listening - I appreciate it.  What about you?  Don't you ever just get down?  *S*
Hang in there, and don't give up. Seriously, get a copy of all your records so you can see what is in them, Then i would say to make some appointments, see what they have to say, give them your side of the story. They may take a while to give you medication, but if you go in there and they are willing to see you and offer injections or something, tell them yes, do everything that they ask. Eventually the trust will build and they will be able to justify to themselves that you are in it to get relief, however that happens, and will more likely prescribe meds again. Sometimes its a long process but if you need the help then sometimes starting over from square one can possibly be your best move.

May i ask what your back problems are and the state you're in? (I'm not trying to be nosy, so feel free to not answer if your not comfortable, just trying to see the whole picture to brainstorm some idea's) 8^)
I have never not done anything asked of me - The doctor that saw me originally for PM did one injection and because it didn't take refused to do another one.  I have to be honest, it was about $ as well.  When I was let go it was not only via mail but I was left with no medication at all (the detox was a nightmare I'd rather not go through again - ever)

The back problems may stem from a horse accident I had 20 something years ago.  But last November I picked up an empty bucket and without warning immediately developed intense burning in my back.  Prior to that I was diagnosed with Left Lower Limb RSD (resulting from a broken leg and titanium rod implant).  

I live in Texas.  I am equally not opposed to answering ANY questions regarding this matter or myself as I have nothing to hide.  I didn't do anything wrong.  My story have never waivered ever.   (Side note:  He closed the clinic near me last October and the Dallas office never had my records) - I have to save up for a copy of my records because the hospital where the clinic was wants in excess of 100.00 + for a paper copy.  

May I inquire as to where you are from as well?  And I thank you again - thus far you are the only person willing to not call me names or look down on me.  It touches my heart deeply and I appreciate it more than you will ever know.

-t-

PS:  I am also on FB *S*
Forgot to ask - do you think it would help if I typed a letter stating my side of the situation to include with the records?  I thought I would have had support here but alas they have backed out.  (Not that I blame them - its not their battle)
Hi, I sent you a private message. I've been offline over the weekend. Will respond more this afternoon. 8-)
medical records can be ammended  http://patients.about.com/od/yourmedicalrecords/a/howtocorrect.htm
Hi ragingmouse, I'm just wondering how you've been doing?