Pain Management Community
Old leg fracture causes severe pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Old leg fracture causes severe pain

I fractured my left tibia and fibula in August 2009 due to a rollover car accident at age 19. I have undergone 10 different surgeries for skin grafts, rods, screws, you name it. I am still unable to hike, bike, or even go shopping without limping. However, the past few weeks, the pain has changed from bone pain to pain radiating from my lower back all the way to my toes. I have never felt this pain before. It is very constant and it will not go away. It is not in the bones, rather than the muscles of my lower-left back, left thigh, left calf and all the way to my toes. It only goes away momentarily when I stretch, but as soon as I release tension on the muscle, the pain is back. I can't even sleep at night, I just want to cry. What is this pain and how can I fix it? I regularly use an exercise bike to keep my muscles strong.
-- I am so-o sorry about your leg. I fell down the stairs in late 2007 and broke my tib/fib as well. I have the rod,screws as well ... and after all this time, it's still healing. I damaged the nerves in my left leg. I think that bothers me more than anything else. In the hospital it felt as though someone was lighting matches and throwing them on the top of my foot. I have a generalized numbness there even now. I don't do as much as you do, exercise bike,etc. I have just accepted that what I have now - the limp, the nerve issues, poor coordination. In your case, you are younger, you are keeping your leg strong. As far as the pain you are writing about, what does the orthopedist seem to think? Could it be from the way your walking has been altered since the injury? Has anyone tested you for nerve damage? I have had broken bones in the past, but I had no idea (especially after surgical intervention) that a pair of breaks could change so many things you once took for granted. Go figure. In your case, don't give up ... keep pushing to keep up your muscle tone, etc. The specialists may not have your answers yet - but that doesn't mean that they won't!  Hang in there, stay tough!    
Thank you so much for the support! Most of my leg from the knee down is completely numb, and the doctor thinks that at this point the feeling won't return. It doesn't bother me too much, except for trying to shave I cut myself every time! I have a lot of nerve damage; quite a few nerves were severed, which isn't surprising when an SUV rolls on top of you. However, I haven't seen a doctor since this new pain has started. My fiancé thinks it has something to do with the way I walk since my leg is half an inch shorter than it used to be, however it really doesn't feel like that is the cause of the pain. It's really bizarre since it is so sudden and so severe. I have been avoiding going to the doctor for a while, purely because I moved to California a year ago and it seems so overwhelming trying to find one who can help me.