Opiates and Pain
Is there anyone on here that has chronic pain but also has trouble taking the pain meds as prescribed (i.e., addiction)?  I'm working on alternative therapies to help with the pain but the opiates still remain at the top of the list for pain relief.  

Anyone????
Hi Lee,

Welcome to the Pain Management Community. I am sorry to hear that you have chronic pain. It's a difficult life journey.

Most of our members do not have an addiction problem.... at least I think that is what you are referring to when you say trouble taking pain meds as prescribed. I think I can speak for most of us, we require opiates to manage our pain but include alternative treatments and/or procedures in the overall management of our pain. I could not function without opiates. I would not get out of bed, indeed I may chose not to continue to be on this earth as the pain would be overwhelming. I avoided opiates until nothing else gave me any quality of life or the ability to function.

So I am not sure what your question may be. Can you be more specific?

You may find better support and suggestions on the Addiction Substance Abuse Forum. There are many knowledgeable members there that are dealing with what you are facing.... IF I am understanding your post correctly. You are always welcome here. I am just trying to point you to a forum that may be more helpful.

I wish you well and hope you will keep in touch.

Good Luck and Take Care,
~Tuck  
Hi Lee, I am not sure what your question really means. Do you have a pain management doctor? Is your pain controlled with you medication? You might have a problem controlling your pain because you are under-medicated.Maybe talking to your doctor and telling them that you pain is not be controlled with the dosage you are on.  If not and it is an addiction problem going to the substance abuse site might help you alot, also getting enrolled in narcotics anonomist. I hope for the best for you.
Liz
Yes... I have chronic-pain, and have "trouble" taking opiates. I lurk in this forum as it's full of awesome people, and I've gotten so VERY good advice and support here in dealing with my pain issues and ongoing kidney problems.

What sort of "alternative therapies" are you working on/with?

I will agree that opiates are at the top of the list, in regards to what works for CP patients, but I know that more than a few folks in this forum currently dabble in alternative medicine (ie: acupuncture, e-stim, 'natural' medicine, etc), and combine it with their opiate regime.

So... what's your bag?
I'm a recovering addict, by the way...

Tuck, Sherry, JayBay and the rest of the girls let me hang around here cuz I'm so good looking!!!
Awwwh.... El_em_en_oh .... you know us so well!    :o)

~Tuck
Well, I have trouble taking them as prescribed.  I have a pain management doctor, but he only gives me injections.  I'm switching doctors because it seems like he doesn't remember anything.  I have had pain in my lumbar and thoracic spine and every time I bring up the pain in my upper back, he acts like I've never mentioned it before.  Then he tells me that my thoracic pain is from my lumbar pain.  He just seems to spacey.  I tried getting him to manage my pain meds but he put me on the Butrans patch which only gave me a rash and then got crazy when I got a false negative on a urine drug screen.

My PCP is prescribing my pain meds right now and I think he is starting to get nervous because of the new 'pill mill' laws in Florida.  He knows that the dose I'm on only helps for 3-4 hours but he prescribes them for every 6 hrs.  I take them every 4 hours and of course I run out to quick.  I've also been on the same dose for over a year and a half so......  I don't want to get in trouble or get my doc in trouble so when I'm out of meds for the month, I use a few to get through withdrawal and stay in bed for the remaining time before I can see my doc again.  I go in to see him Thursday and I'll have a talk with him about everything.

As far as alt. therapy, I have a TENS unit, an inversion table, a swimming pool & jacuzzi when I'm at my mom's house (which is 3 hrs away from me), and a back brace.  I'm getting into acupuncture and looking for a chiro as well.