PAIN IN GUM
I've been suffering an intermittent throbbing pain deep inside my gum on the left side. An X ray has revealed nothing, but I'm worried that it will never go away. Although it isn't very severe, it's intolerable enough to affect my daily life and sometimes disrupt my sleep.
Hi puppykins:

Sometimes there is bacteria that surrounds the nerve near the root of the tooth. This will create a pocket of air which can be very hard to see on an x-ray and will cause the start of a bad infection in the gum.

This happened to me and the Dentist did an x-ray which in turn showed nothing until the infection got bad enough to show up on the x-ray.

Have your Dentist do another x-ray. Some Dentist offices now have an x-ray machine that is more in-depth than the typical one used in offices today. If the x-ray comes back the same as before then find another Dentist with a better machine.

Please take care and good luck.
Mollyrae

Hi puppykins:

Please take care and good luck.
Mollyrae

Hi Mollyrae. Thanks for your reply. It's strange 'cause the pain is actually coming from an area of my gum where I've no teeth!? Do you think it would still be worth asking for another X ray?
Puppykins
Yes. In your case, you could actually have some nerve left in the gum. When the bacteria sets in it will create an air pocket even when there is no tooth left.

Some of these nerves are microscopic in nature and can be a problem down the line.. I have also heard of phantom tooth pain. It feels like there is a tooth with a root still connected that is infected when actually it is nothing. With all said, I would still have it re-checked.

Molly
Thanks for your advice. I'll see the dentist about it again.
Puppykins