Pain Management Community
PAIN MEDICATION

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

PAIN MEDICATION

WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR DOCTORS TO PRESCRIBE PAIN MEDICINE OR THEY JUST DONT WANT TO.. I DONT UNDERSTAND IT IF SOMEONE IS IN PAIN WHY DO MOST DOCTORS REFUGE PAIN MEDICINE?  THEY ACT LIKE THEY JUST DONT CARE!  I HEARD THAT EVERY DOCTOR TAKES AN OATH UPON GETTING THEIR DEGREE THAT NO PATIENT OF THEIRS SHOULD EVER LEAVE THEIR PRACTICE IN ANY KIND OF PAIN! DOES ANY ONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS?  ALL INFO APPRECIATED!  THANKS!
We go over this here almost everyday. It is a shame that people that really need these medications like those of us here get treated this way.

Unfortunately, those that abuse these medications out number us in my opinion. This causes doctors to be hesitant when prescribing to protect themselves from liability.

What is truely sad is that the people that purposely and knowingly abuse this medication later want to blame everyone but the themselves and file frivilous law suits against doctors and drug companies for the concious choice that they made.

That is my simplified version.
Hi there,

I assume you are refferring to the hippocratic oath(is that how u spell it)?
It doesn't specifically cover pain. It only basically says that a Dr will agree to 'do no harm' to thier patients. unfortunately that can be interpreted in many ways depending on an individual dr's point of view regarding narcotics.
I feel your pain and frustration. I have been through periods of sheer hell like you are going through now(i read some of your posts and journals). I don't know what to say other than stay with dr's who know you, and whom you trust. If they know your conditions they will help you if they see the need. There is nothing wrong in asking for a referral o a pain clinic. It is your right.
best of luck, hope things get better.

Nick.
Hi Catwoman,

Welcome back. It's been awhile since I've seen you in our community. I'm sorry you are still in pain and having problems finding relief.  

The Hippocratic Oath was written by Hippocrates, the father of western medicine, in the 4th century BC, OR by one of his students. It was originally written in Greek and has since been rewritten to apply to current medicine. Some medical schools use different re-written versions. The Oath says in part "Above all, do no harm." I have actually heard physicians repeat this sentence, especially when they have been unsure of a diagnosis or what course of treatment to prescribe. There is nothing that says patients should not be left in pain, at least in the original Oath.

Regardless of what the Oath may say or doesn't say the fact remains that you are in pain. I encourage you to find a PCP that will take your pain seriously and prescribe something that will ease it. It took me years to be taken seriously and a diagnosis found that accounting for the pain. It was very complicated and most physicians could not connect the dots. A PM Clinic or PM Physician may be helpful for you......or just a great PCP. You are your own best advocate so be assertive. Please keep searching and try not to become discouraged. We are here for you.  

Take care and keep in touch, Tuck
I have actually heard a Physician use the same term when not wanting to prescribe opiates....."Do no harm" meaning not wanting the patient to become addicted.

Funny how they can use the interpretation isn't it......
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION U ALL GAVE ME ITS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.  IM JUST SO SICK OF THESE DOCTORS ALWAYS TELLING ME ... '  I DONT DO PAIN MEDICINE'.  SICK OF IT!  I HAD A GOOD DOCTOR TILL JUST A MONTH AGO AND SHE UP AND LEFT HER PRACTICE AND LEFT ME HANGING AND THE MORE I THINK ABOUT THAT THE MADDER I  GET!!  SHE DIDNT TRY TO WEAN ME OFF OF ANY NARCOTICS AND SHE KNEW SHE WAS LEAVING.. AND I THINK THAT IS WRONG.  WHAT REALLY GETS ME IS IF SOMEONE SEEN A DOG LAYING IN PAIN AND TOOK IT TO A VET ... THE VET WOULD GIVE THE DOG SOMETHING FOR PAIN.  I HOPE NO ONE MISS UNDERSTANDS WHAT IM SAYING CAUSE I LOVE ANIMALS AND WOULDNT WANT TO SEE ANY IN PAIN...BUT LIKE I SAID THE ONES THAT ARE IN PAIN AND BAD PAIN AT THAT ... THEY GET NOTHING MOST OF THE TIME.  ABUSERS MAKE  ME SICK AND I HATE WHAT THEY HAVE DONE FOR THE ONES THAT ARE IN REALLY BAD PAIN AND NEED SOMETHING FOR IT, I JUST WISH THE PAIN WOULD GO AWAY AND NOT HAVE TO DEAL WITH ANY OF THIS...THANKS AGAIN!
                                                                                           CATWOMAN
Hi Catwoman,
I am one too that gets very angry that the drug abusers makes it very hard for everyone else who is legitimately in pain. I do not know the answer to the problem but there has to be a better system than what we have. I hope you get some help soon, have you tried pain management? Even if you have to drive to get to one it would help until something closer comes along.
By the way, please refrain from using all caps.
WHY SHOULD I REFRAIN FROM USING ALL CAPS?  JUST WONDERING ... IS IT A PROBLEM OR NOT ALOUD?  APPRECIATE YOUR COME BACK!
All caps is interpreteted as shouting and does not really look well.
I am not sure if it is a rule here I assume so, it is on many sites.
wow i didnt know that people interpreteted that as shouting.......... not my intentions at all!!  like i say all the time... u learn something new everyday!  from now on  i will use small letters.
Thank you:)
Small caps are easier to read too...at least for me.

If you take your records to another PCP and they can see that you were prescribed narcotics and why, they may be more apt to prescribe them.

I think we are all angry about the abusers and the times we were treated like a drug seekers!! As I said, don't give up. There are brave, intelligent, empathetic and understanding physicians out there. Keep searching.
There is no reason why you can't use all caps. It is easier to see.....
I think that these days the ratio of people taking thier pain meds responsibly compared to people abusing them is going in the wrong direction.
I think it's about time for harsher measures to be taken to prevent people with a history of abuse from getting access to these meds.
Otherwise I can only see one thing happening, everyone will have access cut off.
I have no doubt that one-day even legitimate patients will have to suffer because the situation will continue to get out of hand.
I sure hope i'm wrong. am i just being paranoid?
We sure are headed in the wrong direction. The ones who decieve the doctors who do care and want to help us hesitant to help because they feel they may be deceived again. Doctors can loose their lisence and practice and even their freedom. I do not want to sound like I am soft on those who do abuse the doctors because I am very frustrated and angry as you all are. I do not have the answer but I hope that in the near future that someone will.
permanent bans for dr shoppers?
permamnent bans for anyone who has stolen or obtained meds through fraudulent means?
drug testing every single CP patient?
random calls from dr's asking you to show up with your meds(to count them)

draconian yes, but if it helps, i'd consider it
The problem with that is...
How does one doctor from another know if the Pt has done anything wrong? The national drug data base that some states have can keep up with things like this but at what cost? The loss of our privacy and not to mention if one is accused who is not guilty and they have a permanent mark that every doctor will see. We all know how some doctors can be and in my opinion it is not free from errors and if one were made you would have to go through the act of congress to get it fixed.
The national drug data base is where you will have a card and to see a doctor or fill a script you will have to have that card and it will tell then everything about you. What doctors have said about you and who you see and why and all sorts of info thats none of theri business in my opinion. Florida just vetoed it again and I am glad.
I know several doctors who drug test every month and even have pill counts but when you start doing this then who is hurt? The doctors and nurses have even more work and then US the legitimate Pts having to bend over backwards to prove we are on the level when we have done nothing wrong.
It all sounds good until you start thinking what can go wrong:)
The drug testing is something that does need to be done in every PM office though. The pill counts as I said would be to troublesome for alot of the legitimate Pt's.
I have NO problem getting drug tested every month.
There must be something that can be done. Doing nothing is not an option. The situation is getting worse, not better.
perhaps i went too far with my suggestions, but what about drug testing(random) and pill counting(not too often as it makes too much hassle for ppl doing nothing wrong). What else?
There should be better ways of preventing Dr shopping.
harsher penalties for diversion. ???
i agree... i had to be drug tested when i was seeing my last doctor and i had no problem with that but i think the pill counting would be a hassle , depending  on how many times they want you to come in.  but when u r in constant pain everyday and all day you dont feel like going anywhere.. i know i dont anyway.  im hoping that the doctor i see at the end of the month will prescribe my medicine for me... if not im going to be hurting so bad i wont be able to stand  it.  i seen one pain specialist about 1 month ago and he did nothing but laugh at me cause i was crying cause he pushed on my back and got it hurtin real bad and asked me if i was depressed... and laughed. i was so mad.  said he was going to call my doctor and have some of my pain medicine takiing away!  last time i say him!  take care everyone!