Pain Management Community
POST L5,S1 SURGERY SCAR TISSUE

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

POST L5,S1 SURGERY SCAR TISSUE

Are there any new procedures to remove scar tissue pressing on nerve roots?
I am not aware of any. You can have the nerve root burned to relieve the pain though.
Hello Cliff,

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum. I am glad that you found us but sorry to hear about your failed back surgery.

I did a bit of research on your inquiry. I am not sure what you mean by new procedures. There is a minimally invasive laser spine surgery which uses an arthroscopic approach to a Laminotomy. They open the spinal canal without any need for general anesthesia. A laminotomy is generally performed in a surgical outpatient setting. A laminotomy is not a laminectomy. According to my readings this procedure can be successful. Have you looked into it?

Best of luck to you. Please let us know if this is an option for you and if you would care to share with us we would be appreciative.  I look forward to hearing form you again.

Take Care,
Tuck
are you in pain?  if so, injection procedures such trigger point injections, nerve blocks such as selective block, epidural injections can help.   rhizotomy ( use of electrical current to burn the nerve ending as sandee suggests) can take the pain away if nerve blocks don't work.
surgery can remove the scar, but if you are a scar former,  there is no guarantee that surgically removing the scar will not produce new scars that can impinge on the nerve in a different angle or position.  i have worked with a patient before who had undergone multiple surgeries for different medical conditions and formed so much scarring it was holding her digestive system in a major knot.  she was a major scar former.  surgery was the only option for her since she could not eat more than a small cup of yogurt without suffering severe pain from her intestines resctricted motility during digestion. after surgery, it relieved the pain somewhat so she could eat a bit more. but came back months later to her surgeon for a different kind of pain.