Pain Management Community
Pain 3 years after gallbladder removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Pain 3 years after gallbladder removal

I had my my gallbladder removed 3 years ago.  All my symptoms were in my upper back R side.  This pain went away for about a month after my gallbladder was removed but gradually came back and now is more painful than ever.  More painful immediately after I eat or drink even a sip or small bite.  Less pain when I lay on my back.  I have been to 2 GI specialists and both dismissed me without so much as a test.  No pain treatments help at all.  I have had trigger point injections, acupuncuter, and other forms of pain therapy.  2 doctors suggested a scope into my stomach but neither have committed to doing it.  Another doctor told me I was probably going to have to learn to live with this pain.  Any suggestions?
Hi and welcome to the pain management community!

I just had surgery on the 22nd to have my gall bladder removed.  I was in a lot of pain 24-36 hours ago but it has died down quite a bit since then.  So, I know the tremendous pain you are refering to.

3 years is a long time to still be having pain symptoms from gall bladder surgery.  Did they perform the surgery laparoscopically or via an open incision?  How did your recovery go after the surgery? Any complications?

My surgeon told me that gallstones can form later on after gall bladder removal but it is rare.  However, in your case I think it would be beneficial for them to check your cystic artery and bilary duct to make sure there are no stones blocking those pathways.  If the doctors you are seeing aren't listening to you then request that your insurance company let you see another doctor for a second opinion.  Preferrably out of network so that there isn't a bias.  If you get your insurance's approval then they will pay for the cost incurred for going out of network for a second opinion minus any applicable copays.  Sometimes just initiating these actions, will put your current doctors on alert and they may be more willing to do more tests.  You should have a HIDA or ERCP scan done to check for more stones and should get another ultrasound completed to see how your remaining organs in that area are functioning.  Additionally, having some blood drawn to check the functionality of your liver would be good to get done as well.

I have researched a lot on gall bladder surgery and recovery over the web this past month and have found that there are many others that are in your same shoes right now.  One lady found relief through a medication that absorbs excess bile produced by the liver.  And then there are others that are on pain medications long term for phantom pain that has no direct cause.  I don't know where you lie on this spectrum and no one will be able to tell you online.  But once you have test results, you will have more insight into what your options are to either cure or manage this pain.  I wish you the very best and I'll look forward to your updates.  Take care.

femmy