Pain Management Community
Pain Mgt for the recovering addict

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Pain Mgt for the recovering addict

Hi All,

I too suffer from chronic back pain for close to 10 years now. I had injured my back on several occasions that ultimately ended up in a fusion of my l5-s1 10 years ago. Since then I've had two additional surgeries on my back in an attempt to clean up the area and lessen the pressure on the nerves from excess bone growth (BMP material) and scar tissue.

Close to a year ago I had a spinal cord stimulator put in again in an effort to lessen the pain I experience around the clock. It definitely helps, but does not solve the problem.

Over the years I've been prescribed opiates to help with the daily pain. I've seen a total of two pain management specialists. I really liked my first guy but he opted to drop my insurance. Then moved onto another which felt more like a pill mill.. I ended up losing insurance and could no longer afford to go to to pain management... Thus the pain really roared...

I was reading the local rag, when an article caught my eye about how a local city is battling the open air drug market that their streets have become. That's when i thought, hymn, opiates, illegally... What a mistake... For two years on and off I used heroin to battle the pain. In the long run, paying the doctor would have probably been much cheaper. I'm an addict.

Six months ago I checked myself into detox. The insurance I have now will only cover IOP first, as they want you to fail that before they will cover in patient. Go figure.... Any case, found an IOP (Intensive Out-care Program) that was happy to bring me aboard... Successfully finished their program and am now going on 6 months, tomorrow is the actual six month date. I'm still battling obsessions of wanting to use, but no where near like when I first came off... I currently go to to a counselor weekly to further discuss issues in my life, attend an AA meeting daily, and work with my sponsor on the steps.

All this time, my pain is still there... As of late it has really hindered my day to day activities. So much, I'm missing work. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I'm so happy that I've found this website and to know that I'm not alone. Helps up top, if you know what I mean.

I curious if anyone knows of a pain management specialist in the northern NJ area (NYC even) that specializes in working with those in recovery. My insurance company is of no help. There list of dr's still has my first guy listed as in the plan, when he hasn't been in it for years...

My counselor is also looking, as am I, for one to help. Anyone have any suggestions, my ears are wide open.

Thank you for listening.
Congraulations to your 6 months Murph! No matter how you FEEL, your are hanging tough and working your program ... that's no small thing, and it's paying off for you! I live in Washington state, so I cannot give you any insight as to doctors in N.J. I wish I could help but obviously that's not possible. Still, when I read what you wrote, I wanted to gives you two thumbs up! Continue being both kind and patient with yourself ... Take care of yourself.
I also want to tell you congratulations on being 6 months clean!!  That is nothing short of amazing!  Your post really touched my heart and I wish I could help you find a doctor but I am in Colorado and have lived here all my life so I don't know of any doctors in your area but continue to search.  Just from doing a search on google, I have located many pain management facilities in Colorado.  Perhaps you could try that and start giving each of them a call.  Ask them if they accept your insurance and then ask if they offer a comprehensive pain management program that includes injections, physical therapy, and medication.  If the answers are yes, then make and appointment and see what they would be willing to help you with.  

Please keep us updated on your progress and welcome aboard.  We are glad that you found us, this is a great community that offers support to all who battle chronic pain on a day to day basis.  I hope you will become an active member in this community.  And keep checking back on your post as there may be someone out there that knows a doctor that can help or someone may private message you on MedHelp.  Again, a sincere welcome!

femmy  :)
Thak you both for kind words.

I went back to my part time job sat which has me standing for 10 hrs or so. It has crippled me.. I went to ER yesterday and of course was discriminated against. I insisted on something for the pain and I was told after we give you this that's it you gotta go.. This has become etremely frustrating..

I have tramadol ibuprofen and naproxen in my arsenal. Unfortunately they don't cut into the pain. I'm think in an epidermal shot will help.

The plus side. I found a dr that seems to specialize in pain mgt for the recovering addict. Tomorrow is the big day and I caNt wait.
Please keep us posted...Best of luck to you!
Wishing you the best of luck at your appointment.  Please let us know how it goes.  I have had 6 epidural injections and they do help me with my low back pain...but not so much with the sciatica (nerve pain that shoots down my legs).  Gabapentin has been helpful for the sciatica though.  I used to take Tramadol a couple of years ago...I took it for about 3 years...fizzled out after 1 year.  It wouldn't make a dent in my pain now given the new damage so I know how much the Tramadol "helps".  Anyways, do let us know how your appointment went!

femmy  :)
hi, stronger nsaids may help u, also there's a drug out called subutrex or suboxone- not sure if they're one& the same or 2 different drugs. They contain opiod+ narcotic antagonist(blocker)& may relieve pain+help w/ the addiction/ cravings.
To find someone lookup pain mgmt treatment guidelines& they may be able to guide u.
Hello to everyone, I just joined and Im going thru a bit of a rough time and I thought maybe someone might be able to help me. I just went thru my second surgery on my lower back. Jan of 2010 I had a plif surgery done on my L4-5 after 10 years of extreme pain and 3 different doctors I had to search cause no one believed there was anything wrong but had they just read their paperwork they would have found it. It was their in the writings. The surgeon opened up my back and was taken back, he had to put in 4 spacers because my back was so compressed, like someone took a vice grip to my spine. I had 6 severely pinched nerves that i still suffer from. They put in a cage and did a fusion. Well, about 6 months ago I really started developing a weird feeling like the middle of my back was pinching and id stand up with my newborn and it would lock. well, the new spine dr. took an mri and found it was my hardware so I underwent another surgery and he found the fusion didnt take and the screws the first surgeon used were way too long and actually went out the other side of my spine. That was a month ago that I had surgery. My Pain management dr. says I should be in less pain now but Im getting pain like before I felt before my first surgery when I dont do anything and I am on percocet and morphine and they gave fentanyl patches but she is giving me a hard time now. My question is what to do.